All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Heather
      #76675 - 06/06/04 08:01 PM
SharShar

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Illinois

Dear Heather, It has been a long time since I had to seek your advice as I was in "remission" of my IBS-D due to following the guidlines in your book (even cheating from your diet most of the time with no problems). However, I am looking for advice. On 5/15, I was placed on Amoxicillin for a possible infection in a lump on my leg that had to be removed. The day before the surgery 5-19, I started feeling sick, and the day of the surgery 5-20, the diarrhea started. I figured it was just normal nerves triggering IBS from having surgery. The diarrhea continued (worse than IBS attack- this was different and I now figured out it was the amoxicillin causing the diarrhea not IBS) I called my doc and he said to come in for a stool sample and it turns out that I tested positive for the C-Diff bacteria. He started me on a 14 day treatment of Flagyl. I have gone back on your diet and that is helping alot. I was wondering if you know anything about IBS and C-Diff- I can't find much on the internet. The doc said it could come back even 2 months later. Any suggestions or information you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time! Thanks for your book-it has been a lifesaver!
Sharon

--------------------
Who knew life was possible with out chocolate?!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Antibiotics new
      #76704 - 06/07/04 12:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You really need to take a probiotic when you're on anitbiotics to replace the "good" bacteria in your gut.

Re: Antibiotics new
      #76868 - 06/07/04 11:28 AM
SharShar

I started taking acidopholious (not sure if it is spelled correctly) but I waited to start it until the diarrhea started. I had been on antibiotics before and didn't have this side effect, so I didn't even think of taking the probiotic along with it until it was too late. I am still taking it and plan to continue. Thanks for the advice! Sharon

--------------------

Search the boards... new
      #76887 - 06/07/04 12:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't know too much about c-diff but there's a past poster with excellent info about this. Do a board search with no time limits and see what comes up. It is really great that your doc caught this early on as it sometimes goes undiagnosed (or misdiagnosed as IBS) for a long time.

Keep us posted on how things go - just stick to the stricter diet you've gone back to, and use whatever herbal teas (peppermint, fennel) work best for you. Keep your gut as calm and soothed as possible and that will help you recover more quickly, and also help keep your IBS from flaring.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Question for Heather new
      #76902 - 06/07/04 01:37 PM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Sharon,

I was searching the internet and found the following site. Hope it helps with some of your questions.

http://www.cdiffsupport.com/

Barbara

Thanks, I will search the boards!! new
      #76964 - 06/07/04 04:41 PM
SharShar

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review