Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dr.Phil's Smart bars
      #76198 - 06/04/04 08:50 AM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Has anyone tried these?
I had one yesterday and loved it,BUT a while later I felt awful.Cramps,gas bloating,stomach pains,nausea that lasted for 6 hrs. I want to figure out if it was the bar or something else.I was hungry and in 7-11 in route to home,an hr. away.Thought this might be a good choice.I ate 1/2 of it and waited a while to see if it made me feel bad.When I felt okay I finished it up.
Now I want to avoid whatever triggered this attack.Today I am feeling listless and tired and sore,but at least I didn't get C,like I usually react to triggers.
Any thoughts are most welcome. Suzy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dr.Phil's Smart bars new
      #76205 - 06/04/04 09:18 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Su,

I don't know which flavor you tried but when I looked up the ingreadients online for chocolate peanut butter it has 7 grams of fat plus high fructose corn syrup and alot of other possible triggers. I would read the label first to see the ingredients and choose a safer snack. I know there is a running list of safe snacks here.

Good luck

Barbara

#76224 - 06/04/04 10:10 AM
Su

Hi Barbara, Thanks for your help.I guess I was thinking 7g of fat for the whole bar wasn't too bad,but then I didn't intend to eat it all. What other items did you notice that can be problems?I am wondering about that "soy protein isolate" I often see in these types of snacks.I drink soy milk w/out trouble,and soy yogurt,but maybe this mixture has other ingred. that grab my tummy and make it feel so bad. Suzy

#76225 - 06/04/04 10:20 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I don't know anything about these bars, so don't know if that's what triggered you, but I know most seven elevens sell Luna bars (although thier flavor selection is often limited) they are the best and easy to grab and snack on! Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Phil's - Shape Up! Complete Nutrition Bar, Chocolate Peanut Butter new
      #76243 - 06/04/04 10:58 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Hi su,
I don't know which flavor you tried but when I looked up the ingreadients online for chocolate peanut butter it has 7 grams of fat plus high fructose corn syrup and alot of other possible triggers. I would read the label first to see the ingredients and choose a safer snack. I know there is a running list of safe snacks here.

Good luck

Barbara

Yeah.... here is all the ingredients.....I'd personally stay clear of them...... but that is just me.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavor

Ingredients:
Syrup Blend (Corn Syrup, Peanut Butter, Sugar, Hydrogenated Starch, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Carageenan) Crisps (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Soy Fiber, Oat Fiber, Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Salt), Chocolate Flavored Coating (Lactitol, Fractionated Palm Kernal Oil, Chicory Extract, Cocoa, Sucralose, Salt, Lecithin, Distilled Monoglycerides, Natural Flavor), Sodium Caseinate, Calcium Phosphate, Peanut Flour and Less Than 2% of the Following: Chicory, Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum, Acacia, Magnesium Oxide, Salt, Maltodextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Fumarate, Biotin, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D), Chromium Chloride, Copper Gluconate, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), d-Calcium Pantothenate, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Phytonadione (Vitamin K), Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Zinc Oxide

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Lactitol is probably the culprit..... new
      #76257 - 06/04/04 11:44 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Suzy,

After reading the ingredients in this bar I can see why you were probably sick. See this info about Lactitol I got on-line:

Sweet tasting hydrogenated chemicals called sugar alcohols including Maltitol, Lactitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol, and Manitol. These hydrogenated chemicals are used in place of the sugar. However, take great notice of these ingredients for they have major side effects associated with their consumption. Why? They are also known as laxatives.

Yes, laxatives – as in "causes diarrhea". These sugar alcohols can also cause gastrointestinal cramping and flatulence. Gas, cramping and diarrhea -

Barbie

--------------------

The ingredients in these look awful... they're not "smart" bars at all! -nt- new
      #76297 - 06/04/04 01:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Lactitol is probably the culprit..... new
      #76320 - 06/04/04 02:40 PM
Su

Hi Barbie,
I knew about sorbitol,but not these others.Thanks so much.Man I can't believe I chose something that acts like a laxative.This explains so much of how I felt.So glad I asked. Suzy

Re: Dr. Phil's - Shape Up! Complete Nutrition Bar, Chocolate Peanut Butter new
      #76321 - 06/04/04 02:45 PM
Su

Guess I was way too much in a hurry. After reading this list I feel so dumb.
Do you know what is a safe amount of fat for such a snack item?

#76322 - 06/04/04 02:47 PM
Su

Thanks I'll remember to give those a try.It helps so much to know what are safe options when you're hungry.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2254

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review