All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Zelnorm?
      #76096 - 06/03/04 08:41 PM
Michael K.

Reged: 06/03/04

Is Zelnorm safe for men. I severe bloating with diarrhea. Doctor said to try for 2 weeks. What did the FDA issue an article about Zelnorm? Is it safe to take. Read an article about people becoming hospitalized due to Zelnorm?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm? new
      #76097 - 06/03/04 08:50 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? SORRY I AM ANGRY BECAUSE THESE DOCTORS ARE MAKING ME SO MAD. WHY DO I KNOW MORE THAN THEM SHEEEEEESH! Sorry for the caps! Anyway someone asked this earlier - their doctor had prescribed it for IBS-A. Firstly it should NEVER EVER be prescribed for someone with diarrhea AT ALL. It is for constipation predominant people only, and has only been proven to work in women. It is not approved for men as studies have not been conducted to test it on men yet.

But anyway, the FDA's warning was that Zelnorm can cause severe diarrhea - and thats for people who may already have SEVERE C!!! I cannot believe how inept so many doctors seem to be...I wonder if they are truly clueless or just want to prescribe medicine for the sake of it???? argh!!

Anyway this is the warning ZELNORM WARNING!!!

Also here is a blurb from the zelnorm.com site:
Why can men not take Zelnorm?
Zelnorm received FDA approval based on the results of two clinical studies, each lasting 12 weeks in duration. Both studies involved primarily women patients.

Browse the site, search for past posts. Their are some great ideas for reducing the exact symptoms you have....and keep up the diet

Ibsgirl, your picture isn't showing up. If you email it to me new
      #76102 - 06/03/04 09:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

at heather@helpforibs.com I'll post it for you!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ibsgirl, your picture isn't showing up. If you email it to me new
      #76104 - 06/03/04 09:29 PM
ibsgrl

Thanks Heather, I'm sending it to you now

#77166 - 06/08/04 10:15 AM
designerwhite

Reged: 06/08/04

Just thought I'd share my zelnorm tale:
I'm a severe IBS-C sufferer, and very thankful that doctors can prescribe zelnorm to men. Apparently, in the trials, no difference was found in function of the drug, between men and women. In the study I read about, there was aproximately 2700 women involved and 80 men. Not enough for approval, I suppose.

I responded in just over a week. yes, I had a few days of diarrhea, but after the pain I'd been through, it was the most wonderful diarrhea ever. Much nicer than the 20+ bathroom breaks involved with taking Klean Prep PEG solution. Now I pretty much feel normal, and am watching my diet. Before I started the drug, it didn't matter what I ate, nothing would go through properly, even the safest of foods.

So obviously, IBS-A's should stay away - not ibs-C men; (it worked wonderfully for me). Are the doctors improperly prescribing this family practioners or GIs? I would try to get advice from a Gastroenterologist. It took me a while to get a hold of one, but I was helped enormously when I did. I know it works for me, as I missed a day once, and the pain came back quickly.

Are there any men who've got such favorable results? please respond.

#77171 - 06/08/04 10:36 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Zelnorm is for the treatment of women, NOT men.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#77173 - 06/08/04 11:02 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Shanna, it was only APPROVED for women. That doesn't mean it doesn't work in men. Atenolol was only APPROVED for high blood pressure. That doesn't mean it doesn't work to prevent migraines.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#77179 - 06/08/04 11:16 AM
ibsgrl

yup, its just the lack of male participants in the study...they can't approve something with such a small group of people, which is unfortunate....
why don't they do some more studies/research hmmm?

#77217 - 06/08/04 02:14 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

IF you already have D, DONT take it. That's my advice. I'm not a man...:) but...

I am IBS-D, and I think my doc just ran out of options for me - switching me from anti-dirrahea meds (which made me C), so then he'd give me something to make me go...giving me D....finally he put me on Zelnorm, saying it'll definately help....OMG, it was the worst thing ever. 2 days on it and I couldn't take it....it is only for IBS-C. So I would stay away.
The worst part is - I called the doc the 2nd day and told him I was miserable, had D a million times, etc etc...and he said, 'you need to give it time'. I told him that on the package it says, "DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE DIRRAHEA CURRENTLY"...and he said, 'oh - it'll do the opposite affect on you since you have dirrahea, it'll help, don't worry'. Needless to say, I'll never call that idiot, I mean doctor again.

--------------------
~Cara~

But since they didn't study it, they don't know the risks or effectiveness in men... new
      #77223 - 06/08/04 02:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it may work comparably for them as for women, but it may not. It might have side effects for men that it didn't for women, or might just be ineffective in men - they simply don't know.

I'm starting to hear so many bad experiences from women about Zelnorm I'd be extremely reluctant to even try it if I were a man. I'd want some hard evidence that it's effective, not to mention safe - and right now they don't have that.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12923

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review