All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Not sure what to do
      #7486 - 04/26/03 06:39 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

Hi I'm new to the board. Right now I'm on the Specific Carb Diet and still having problems. I'm on Levbid,Asacol,hydrocortisone supp. and PeptoBismol. The Spec. Carb diet is grain free, sugar free,lactose free diet that I've been on for 9 months and I'm still having problems.I need advice! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not sure what to do new
      #7524 - 04/26/03 10:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! Welcome! Do a search for breaking the cycle info...if this doesn't help, someone else will have good ideas for ya! I hope you feel better soon...take care! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7533 - 04/27/03 02:53 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hello! Im sorry your not feeling well with an attempted diet. May I ask why you are on a specific carb diet? For me, carbs are one of my safest things to eat (bred,rice,pasta) and i dont know what i would do without them! I also see you are on Levbid. I am on Levsin, and the meds are practically the same thing. I used to take 2 a day, but that wasnt enough, so i now take 3-4 a day, depending on how i am feeling. How many do you take a day?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7550 - 04/27/03 07:33 AM
catzlady4

Hi The reason that I'm on the Specific Carb Diet is because I thought it would help me. I'm really not sure what to do because the IBS diet is totally the opposite. It's eating everything that I haven't had for 9 months!!I'm not sure how to ease into the IBS diet, I'm really scared I don't want to give my stomach a scare!I take 2 Levbids a day.Do you have any advice on how I would approach the IBS diet when I haven't eaten bread,pasta & rice for 9 months? Thanks!

#7551 - 04/27/03 07:39 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

catzlady - why are you on this diet? What have you been diagnosed as having?

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (04/27/03 07:40 AM)

#7553 - 04/27/03 07:44 AM
catzlady4

Hi The reason why I'm on the SCD diet is out of desperation I was feeling so awful and didn't know where to turn. I was diagnosed with IBS and possible colitis but my symptoms are mainly IBS. Do you have any suggestions for me as to how to start out on the IBS diet? Thanks I would appreciate it.

#7555 - 04/27/03 07:49 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

If you have been classified with IBS you should eat the IBS Diet. It works! I know this! I was really hesitant cause I had quit carbs and quit all carbonated drinks. Anything with refined sugar I knocked out of my diet. I still had attacks even when I did that. I had 3 diagnosises of IBS even though they haven't done a colonoscopy.. I had a hiatal hernia on my intestine when I was a baby and they had to knick it to cut out the hernia, ever since that time I'd had problems with my bowels. When I was young I had constipation and straining, then as I got older it was diarreah and straining; classic bloating, gas, and burping every once in a while.

I have been filling myself with fiber and not only have I found I am losing weight again, but I also have no diarreah, all stools are solid. Heather stated in her book if we did this and it turned out for one whole week your symtpoms have nearly disappeared then we are fine.

We are eating food that will help our cholesterol drop and our sugar either be controlled or lowered due to the fat free content and sugar free content drop. I will pray for you that you find an answer for all your issues. You are in my thoughts and I am sorry you are going through such a confusing time right now.

#7558 - 04/27/03 07:51 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I would suggest starting by introducing one carb at a time, just a little bit at one meal a day and see how your body reacts. I find rice the safest, as I think wheat can bloat some people, and I can't take too much pasta.
Hope this helps, just take it slow. I would also recommend a soluble fiber supplement to help settle your tummy - if you use the search option to look at previous posts, there's lots of info on the different types.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#7559 - 04/27/03 07:52 AM
catzlady4

Thank you I appreciate your prayers. Do you have any suggestions on how I would start this diet.I'm afraid that if I start eating bread etc. after not having it for 9 months my stomach will do flip flops! Thanks!

#7560 - 04/27/03 07:53 AM
catzlady4

Hi What else should I eat with the carbs at my meals that would be safe?

#7561 - 04/27/03 07:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

You poor thing! What HAVE you been eating while on the no-carb diet? Lets start there.

As for adding in carbs, it's up to you really. For most folks (unless they have celiac or some other problem with gluten/carbs), carbohydrates are the BEST staple food for IBS! You can just go for it...eat carbs as your main meal (tons of soluble fiber to keep your tummy stable), or you can do it more gradually. However, gradual might not give you immediate results--in fact it prob. won't. You need to stabalize your tummy--the best way to do that is through soluble fiber. Make SURE you're taking a fiber supplement with soluble fiber (depending on your symptoms different fiber supplements might be best to try first). If you have major gas and bloating, try citrucel or benefiber first--or equalactin.

Let me know what you've been eating and maybe I can help you add the IBS diet in slowly...I hope this is helpful at least a little...and I hope we can help you get to feeling better soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7562 - 04/27/03 08:02 AM
catzlady4

Hi Basically I eat 2 eggs and cheese for breakfast, salad,tuna or turkey for lunch and chicken,beef and veg. for dinner. I snack on fruit, nuts and seeds. Can you give me some advice as to how to ease into the iBS diet.I would really appreciate it because right now I am starving and I don't know what to eat as my body hasn't seen bread or sugar for 9 months!!!

#7563 - 04/27/03 08:03 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Perhaps safe veggies like well-cooked carrots, butternut squash - I find they are quite easy to digest and Heather recommends to eat them in 'the First Year' book. I also take an enteric-coated peppermint oil capsule before eating to calm my system before the food hits it, then my soluble fiber straight after it - the fiber swells up in water and I feel like it 'cushions' whatever else I have eaten.
Perhaps you could cook what you would normally do for dinner, and just add some plain white rice, so you're not having a whole big meal of carbs. Might be an idea to try it when you haven't got to go out or have demands on your time, so you can relax after the meal and just see how you feel. Good luck!
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#7564 - 04/27/03 08:10 AM
Snow for Sarala

It is VERY scary to try new things when your tummy is so upset...and I totaly feel for you! I strongly encourage you to use a fiber supplement before each meal you eat. I recommend using egg whites, not whole eggs. Take the dairy ou of your diet ASAP. Meat too. Try plain chicken breasts to start out. I agree with whoever suggested rice. I think you should add rice OR potatoes into your diet for your carbs. Try making baked apples (PEEL the apple...very important...the apple's peel has TONS of insoluble fiber...very difficult for IBSers to digest). There's a couple of recipes for baked apples on the recipe board...do a search. Also, peeled and cooked carrots are safe--and SO yummy! Drink TONS of herbal teas...peppermint, fennel, and ginger are TERRIFIC for your tummy! I hope this gives you enough variety to start out.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7570 - 04/27/03 09:26 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the board. Here's some info that may help get you started. web page Just read through all of this and then some, and you should learn A LOT. As well as reading through the boards.

Post back with any questions and good luck!

Good suggestions from Ruchie here.. new
      #7705 - 04/28/03 03:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

for easing into the diet. Do eliminate all red meat and dairy pronto. Try adding a soluble fiber supplement - here's info http://www.eatingforibs.com/faq.htm#solublesupplement

You've probably been eating root veggies, and they're safe to continue. Try adding in plain white rice, a bit at a time. And use the herbal teas - they'll help.

The SCD diet has a pretty great track record for many folks with IBD, but it's meant to address inflammation of the GI tract. With IBS, there is no inflammation, so the SCD diet doesn't usually help at all - instead, the trigger foods can really hurt.

Please post any questions you have - we're all here for you!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Good suggestions from Ruchie here.. new
      #7733 - 04/28/03 05:28 PM
catzlady4

Hi Heather
Thanks for getting back to me everyone has been so wonderful
I have IBS and colitis. Well I officialy stopped SCD and started the IBS diet to see if it works. I've started with some bread rice milk and soy pudding which is excellent. Is that ok so far I feel fine The only thing I was concerned about is how to take the Fibercon do I take it with every meal? also what about stuff with high fructose corn syrup is that ok? Thanks!

#7735 - 04/28/03 05:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - it sounds like you're easing into the diet changes which is good. Start the Fibercon with one pill twice a day. Take before meals, first thing in the morning, or last thing at night. After a week start increasing the dose - you're going to work your way up (gradually!) to two pills taken four times daily.

Bread pudding would be a good starter food for you - try the recipe here web page and eliminate the rum (use the extract, or 1 T vanilla extract) and raisins if you're feeling at all touchy.

High fructose corn syrup can cause problems. Fructose can cause gas, cramps, diarrhea. There's some variation here from person to person, but just be aware that it can be a trigger. Some of this will depend on how much of the corn syrup is in what you're eating.

Some other good starter recipes for you might be:

tuna casserole web page

banana bread web page

and zucchini bread http://www.eatingforibs.com/zuchbred.htm

You could also make veggie soups or sauces with a bunch of well-cooked veggies that you puree in blender. Makes a good soup, or serve over pasta or rice. Also, blending fresh fruit into smoothies is good for breakfast with cream of rice or rice/corn chex.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7738 - 04/28/03 05:54 PM
catzlady4

Thanks for the quick reply! How is soy pudding?

#7739 - 04/28/03 06:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I love homemade soy pudding. I've tried a few health food store brands and while they sat just fine with me they didn't taste all that great. Maybe experiment there - I think some brands might be better than others.

There's a few recipes in Eating for IBS for chocolate and vanilla soy pudding. They're very fast and easy recipes, and a batch keeps well for several days. You can add some banana slices to them too - that's really tasty.

Also- rice pudding is verrrry soothing and stabilizing. Also makes a huge batch that keeps well for a whole week. Try web page

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review