All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Zelnorm,Lotronex and Gender
      #7420 - 04/26/03 08:54 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hi, I noticed that some medications, ie Zelnorm and Lotronex say that they only help women Does anybody know why gender makes a difference in IBS? Why wouldnt these meds help gentlemen as well?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm,Lotronex and Gender new
      #7435 - 04/26/03 11:09 AM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

Angela –

I was told by my doctor that these meds are only recommended for women because that was who the tested it on. My doctor also said that women are more in tune with their bodies so they talk to there doctor more about the symptoms of IBS than Men do. So because we are aware of what is going on in our bodies it makes it look like women are the only ones that need the meds. I don't know how true this is but that's what my doctor told me.

Sarah

Re: Men are Such Babies! -nt- lol new
      #7443 - 04/26/03 01:46 PM
ConcreteAngel

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7487 - 04/26/03 06:39 PM
TexasLeanne

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

I've often wondered the same thing. My husband has IBS and thought Lotronex was wonderful. He was not happy when it was taken off the market and is still upset that a doctor cannot prescribe it to him now!

--------------------
Leanne

#7511 - 04/26/03 08:28 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'm pretty sure that they tested Lotronex on both men and women, but the effect was only statistically significant in women. This didn't stop the doctors from prescribing it to everyone though, which (probably in part) caused the situation where it was withdrawn from the market.

Personally, I'm waiting for Cilansetron to come to the market, assuming that the Phase III trials go well. It's a 5HT3-antagonist like Lotronex, but (so far) doesn't seem to exhibit the same side effects, which, may I add, were potentially pretty nasty -- my mom's a nurse and I asked her to describe what they were in real terms -- IBS is definitely better than having an adverse reaction to Lotronex!

Re: jrs new
      #7535 - 04/27/03 03:43 AM
ConcreteAngel

JRS,
What exactly are the side effects of Loronex anyway?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Warning on the Bottle new
      #7692 - 04/28/03 02:10 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Here's the warning that comes with a prescription:

WARNING: Serious gastrointestinal adverse events, some fatal, have been reported with the use of LOTRONEX. These events, including ischemic colitis and serious complications of constipation, have resulted in hospitalization, blood transfusion, surgery, and death.

Ischemic colitis is the lack of blood flow to the large intestine, which according to my mother will start killing the tissue. It generally gets (or can get) progressively worse from there on in (like gangrene of the bowel ). Here's a link with more info:
Ischemic Colitus

#7698 - 04/28/03 03:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Many current IBS pharmaceutical research studies are only being conducted on women. So if the drugs are then approved by the FDA, it's only for women. Doctors can still prescribe them off-label for men. Basically, this is a financial decision by the drug companies. The majority of US IBS sufferers are women, so that's where the money lies. They can make enough of a profit from a new drug that's prescribed only for women, so the men are, frankly, getting the shaft here.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7713 - 04/28/03 04:15 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I was recently in a study and I don't think there were any men.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7715 - 04/28/03 04:18 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I took Lotronex and loved it! I just finished a cycle of Cilansetron and should be starting the continuation soon. It works pretty good. I was actually able to moderately eat some trigger foods I missed (cheese enchiladas).

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Warning on the Bottle Thanks For That Info (nt) new
      #7719 - 04/28/03 04:42 PM
ConcreteAngel

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7750 - 04/28/03 06:45 PM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

About these medications-what is the general opinion? Do most of you take them? When my doctor told me that I have IBS I chose to just try and do this the natural way (change diet, exercise more, and use vitamins). However, my friend tells me her grandmother uses meds for her IBS. She said that her grandmother can eat most foods, but it is still hard. For those of you that do use meds, what do you feel the benefits are? Do you still eat as if you were not on medication or do you get to enjoy trigger foods without pain? I guess I just felt like it was better (for me) to change my lifestyle than to pay for medication for the rest of my life. Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong in thinking this? If you do take these meds, please write me and tell me what you honestly think.
canyontinsley

#7751 - 04/28/03 06:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

This is a great topic - I'm going to post this question as a new thread subject. We've had a lot of posts about people taking anti-spasmodics and how effective they are/aren't, but we haven't had much discussion about Lotronex and Zelnorm. It will be interesting to see what people say.

Thanks!

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review