All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DR appointment...Heather or anyone
      #72558 - 05/23/04 06:15 AM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

I went to the cardiologist Thursday, to get my mitral valve prolapse checked.It has not changed in 12 years but when I told him that my gyno did a complete blood work up and my triglicerides are high he put me on a diet "no sugar"....now how am I supposed to do that? I can forgo the sweet desserts and alow my self one time a month, but i have some favorite recipes that are not triggers, like a marinated veggie salad and a few others that i love and i dont want to use artificial junk, everyone says ...use splenda...has anyone used it? but im afraid of how my tummy will feel....he says not to eat white bread to eat grain....I told him I have IBS and that if that was the case I would have to make my own oatmeal bread...he said that would be ok, just make sure it has no sugar...any sugesstions anyone? Please help!!!!!

--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DR appointment...Heather or anyone new
      #72680 - 05/23/04 04:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oooo, no! Even homemade oatmeal bread will be a trigger. What a nutter! Splenda doesn't sound like a good idea. Could you get a second opinion?

Is it really no sugar AT ALL, or just restricted sugar? new
      #72694 - 05/23/04 05:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I have a hard time seeing that the sugar in a marinated veggie salad would be enough to cause problems. If you cut out desserts and other sweets, and sweetened drinks, odds are good you're going to eliminate the majority of sugar in your diet right there.

I'd ask for a referral to a nutritionist about the triglycerides and sugar details - my guess is that you can use small amounts you just can't use much. That would certainly be better than using artificial sweeteners, including Splenda.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Is it really no sugar AT ALL, or just restricted sugar? new
      #72797 - 05/24/04 04:39 AM
nurturingkneads

well he said cut out sugar...even in breads...thats one of my staples for tummy....I appreciate you responding...I will ask to see a nutritionist

--------------------
Gretchen

HEATHER new
      #73524 - 05/26/04 07:18 AM
nurturingkneads

I need advice from you! These people dont know about dealing with IBS too....Please

--------------------
Gretchen

Edited by nurturingkneads (05/26/04 07:19 AM)

Did you see my earlier reply in this thread? new
      #73580 - 05/26/04 10:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

I think you need more info, and preferably from a nutritionist who deals with your kind of cardiac health issues, high triglycerides, etc. See what she/he says about the sugar issue. If you have to go sugar-free, that won't affect your IBS one way or the other - it's actually a pretty good health move, just not fun or easy. You won't switch to artificial sweeteners, you'll just have to give up refined sugar. But sugar isn't good for IBS, or bad for it either, it doesn't really have any effect.

What I need to know is how strictly do you have to limit the sugar? Your doc's answer of "no sugar" is what I want you to have a nutritionist confirm. I'd assume this means "no refined sugar". If they start telling you to avoid carrots and sweet potatoes and such, I'd run screaming in the other direction and get a second and third opinion. There's a world of difference between refined sugar and sugars that naturally occur in healthy foods. I can't imagine avoiding those foods would help your triglycerides, or any other area of your health.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Did you see my earlier reply in this thread? new
      #73595 - 05/26/04 10:51 AM
nurturingkneads

he said no refined sugar, then went on to say eat whole grain breads, and to check out the low carb ones...I ask him if i could eat oatmeal bread cause whole wheat makes me sick and he said yes just tomake it so it would have no sugar. he said if I want something sweet to eat fruit, so my biggest concern is the bread issue cause it helps my tummy...he did mention cutting down on white potatoes, so does that mean rice and pasta too. im going back tomorrow so I will ask him...is there any other questions I should ask?

--------------------
Gretchen

Edited by nurturingkneads (05/26/04 10:52 AM)

#73634 - 05/26/04 12:59 PM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that your doctor is looking at the insulin connection with triglicerides. Maybe what you can do is to switch over to low glycemic foods that are IBS safe, in addition to avoiding refined sugar. Even white rice, if you chew it and test it, it is all sugar.

#73642 - 05/26/04 01:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

You need to see a nutritionist for a lot of clarification here. If you can eat oatmeal bread, then by all means do so. If you're supposed to stick to whole grains (this sounds like what your doc is leaning towards) try brown rice, barley, polenta, quinoa, and oats - they tend to be the most tolerable. See the nutritionist and explain to her that going whole hog on whole grains is going to be difficult with IBS. You can also make sure you take a soluble fiber supplement before each meal - that will help buffer the extra insoluble fiber you'll get from whole grains.

- Heather

--------------------

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! new
      #73894 - 05/27/04 09:24 AM
nurturingkneads

I went back and had my levels checked again and they are all normal....I think maybe i ate something the time before that made higher....But i havent even been on the diet yet he sugested...just my IBS diet

--------------------
Gretchen

Well yay!! -nt- new
      #74012 - 05/27/04 02:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review