All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Substitution Questions and General Questions
      #71261 - 05/17/04 08:31 PM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

I have some questions that I compiled while re-reading the IBS Cookbook. Maybe someone can help me on these. Here goes.
1. Is there a substitute for carob powder?
2. Rose's Lime Juice - Who is Rose??
3. Can Bruschetta/White Bean Dip be served with baked chips?
4. Is baguette and French bread the same thing?
5. Could you use hake or mahi mahi fish for the smoked whitefish dip?
6. p. 62 Grilled shrimp shisk kebabs - could you add potatoes and carrots to this recipe?
7. Mushroom crab dill omelete - could you add tunafish or shrimp instead of crab?
8. p.112 Gingerbread - could this recipe be adapted to cookies?
(General note/thought - I thought the simple sweet cornbread might go good with catfish)
9. p.129 raisin stuffing - can you use canned cranberries? Where can you find fresh cranberries?
10. Tangy thai salad - could you use a baked potato instead of sweet potato?
11. Roasted potato cider salad - can you use baked potato instead of sweet potato?
12. Sandwiches of rosemary - can you substitute mango chutney for the chutney?
13. Sizzling shrimp fajitas - could you use fish or chicken instead of shrimp?
14. Mustard dill salmon - can I use green beans instead of greens?
15. Indian curried potatoes - could you add chicken breasts?
16. Lo Mein - can you leave out the ginger and gingerroot?
Thanks. I think my faorite recipes are the ones for chicken breasts and vegetables/fruits - such as with peaches, carrots, etc. Also like many of the fish recipes. I appreciate the help.
Marty

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dang! That's a lotta questions... new
      #71280 - 05/18/04 12:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

let's see what we can do:

1. Is there a substitute for carob powder?
Unsweetened cocoa powder, like Hershey's, but you'll have to use either a bit more or bit less (can't remember which one is stronger)

2. Rose's Lime Juice - Who is Rose??
It's a brand - available in grocery stores wherever they have liquor mixes

3. Can Bruschetta/White Bean Dip be served with baked chips?
Sure, why not

4. Is baguette and French bread the same thing?
Yes

5. Could you use hake or mahi mahi fish for the smoked whitefish dip?
Any kind of smoked white fish will do

6. p. 62 Grilled shrimp shisk kebabs - could you add potatoes and carrots to this recipe?
Sure - just adjust the cooking time as they'll take longer

7. Mushroom crab dill omelete - could you add tunafish or shrimp instead of crab?
Of course - you can always substitute one kind of seafood for another in terms of IBS safety. This will just come down to taste, so follow your own preferences.

8. p.112 Gingerbread - could this recipe be adapted to cookies?

Mmmm....doubt it. Cookies are tricky to make safe because they need solid fat (and usually a lot of it). Check the recipe board for some of Kree's cookie recipes.

(General note/thought - I thought the simple sweet cornbread might go good with catfish)
It does!!

9. p.129 raisin stuffing - can you use canned cranberries? Where can you find fresh cranberries?
Nope, they'd be too soft and all gelatin-y. You can find fresh cranberries in the fall in grocery stores in the produce section. You can freeze them for many months and use year 'round.

10. Tangy thai salad - could you use a baked potato instead of sweet potato?

Well, yes, but it wouldn't taste at all the same, and probably not too good, actually.

11. Roasted potato cider salad - can you use baked potato instead of sweet potato?
Again, yes, but you'll radically alter the taste.

12. Sandwiches of rosemary - can you substitute mango chutney for the chutney?
Yes, but check ingredients for high fructose corn syrup if you're fructose intolerant.

13. Sizzling shrimp fajitas - could you use fish or chicken instead of shrimp?
Of course.

14. Mustard dill salmon - can I use green beans instead of greens?
Yes, but you'll have to really adjust the cooking time as they'll take a lot longer to cook. You might want to steam the beans separately till tender, then add to the recipe as you would the greens and go from there. Again, the taste will be quite different here, but it sounds pretty good.

15. Indian curried potatoes - could you add chicken breasts?
Yes - but you can't cook them as you would the potatoes - they'd be totally overdone. Cook separately and add if you like, though. Skinless breasts only!

16. Lo Mein - can you leave out the ginger and gingerroot?
Yes, but it will be really, really bland.

In a nutshell, most of your questions really come down to the taste of a recipe, and whether they'd be IBS safe. So you'll have to just try some of the changes you want, and see if you like the results.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Peppermint Caps. new
      #71282 - 05/18/04 01:14 AM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

this is Gerry 10 I have [ 2 ] bottle of peppermint caps.I
would be very happy to give them to any one for free.I can not take them because of my Hiatel Hernia,one has been open an the other one is still close.just let me know my e-mail address is on the form or Heather has it.or I can give it to you now gerrydick @aol.com, Gerry

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Re: Rose's Lime Juice - Who is Rose?? new
      #71287 - 05/18/04 03:53 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Ha! I've always wondered the same thing when I saw that, but always forgot to ask!

Thanks for bringing that up, Marty!

Re: Dang! That's a lotta questions... new
      #71364 - 05/18/04 08:20 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

"9. p.129 raisin stuffing - can you use canned cranberries? Where can you find fresh cranberries?
Nope, they'd be too soft and all gelatin-y. You can find fresh cranberries in the fall in grocery stores in the produce section. You can freeze them for many months and use year 'round."

I use Craisins as a raisin substitute. They're dried sweetened cranberries.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Dang! That's a lotta questions... new
      #71377 - 05/18/04 09:06 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

"9. p.129 raisin stuffing - can you use canned cranberries? Where can you find fresh cranberries?
Nope, they'd be too soft and all gelatin-y. You can find fresh cranberries in the fall in grocery stores in the produce section. You can freeze them for many months and use year 'round."

I use Craisins as a raisin substitute. They're dried sweetened cranberries.

Me too, I love Craisins. I've never tried it, but I bet if you let them sit in boiling water they'd plump up and become more like regular cranberries.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2026 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1111

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review