All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
getting ready to give up!!
      #69812 - 05/12/04 10:59 AM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

So I have been on the diet for over 8 weeks, and I don't think it is helping me enough for the effort that it requires (and the stress that the diet itself puts me under!).

My three symptoms (had these since childhood) are (1) bloating after everything I eat, (2) loose stool/D every time I have a BM which is about every 2-3 days, and (3) full blown attacks where I have stomach pain only relieved by a BM (usu. painful/explosive).

Since I have been on this diet, I still get really bloated after every meal (or even every snack), and I still have D (I have had maybe two BMs that would be considered "normal" by the rest of the world). The third symptom is the only one that has been reduced at all (my full-blown attacks) and frankly I suspect that the anti-spasmodic has more to do with it than diet.

I am not sure what to do now. The diet itself makes me miserable in that I feel extremely sorry for myself when I can't have the things that I want (all the time), and then I feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself when it isn't like I have a terminal illness or anything, and then I feel bad that my significant other goes to so much trouble to accommodate my diet (he's been amazing).

I also have a hard time getting enough protein -- I think this diet can really sap your energy if you aren't aggressive about protein intake.

My lifestyle (i.e. my job/work schedule) makes it very difficult for me to spend time thinking about my diet and planning ahead for meals, so that adds stress as well (the "what am I going to eat?" thoughts really stress me out).

The upside of the diet is that I have lost some weight that I'd rather not regain (but I think if it were an option I'd rather be a dress size bigger and eat with impunity).

Before trying this diet, I used to be able to ignore my symptoms for the most part (when they only hit every 3rd day, I could just ride the pain out). My significant other would urge me to address my problems and I knew he was right but I thought once I addressed them I could fix them. It seems like I am more upset by symptoms/attacks now because they represent the failure of my efforts (rather than something with which I had yet to address).

Maybe I need to kick my fiber intake up a notch or two... or get a massage.... I don't want to throw away the efforts of the last 8 weeks.

Help? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance to all...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: getting ready to give up!! new
      #69847 - 05/12/04 12:36 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, no! That's not good that this diet hasn't helped you enough. But first, let's give you credit for and a big round of applause for the decrease in the big bad attacks!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{YAY, YOU!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I would definitely try increasing your fiber. And make absolutely sure you are doing one of Heather's seven deadly sneaky sins from her newsletters.

Other than that, I'm going to suggest something that the rest of the board may not agree with. Since the major issue for you is the stress of trying to follow the diet given your busy lifestyle, maybe try a slightly gentler version of it. Like first just make sure you're getting as much soluble fiber foods as possible and as little roughage, like switch from salads for lunch to sandwiches. Like having a baked potato on the side instead of creamed spinach. Like having pancakes or cereal for breakfast in stead of eggs and bacon. Not that I'm saying you do!

And finally, the hypnotherapy tapes might be what you need. Or a prescription antispasmodic if you don't take one already.

Please don't give up. But don't beat yourself up either. Okay? Find a happy medium you can live with for now. And just take it one day at a time. A friend of mine says he can do anything for 12 hours that would appall him if he had to keep it up for a lifetime! What a great perspective, huh?!

Good luck and keep coming back. Okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69854 - 05/12/04 12:48 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Yes, LauraSue gave good advice. How much fiber are you taking right now? What kinds have you tried? Sometimes it's just a matter of one kind not working as well as another. Benefiber makes me WORSE, but citrucel and acacia really help. You are right about the protein. I wasn't getting enough and I've upped that too and have tons more energy! Try soy/rice protein powders in smoothies, turkey, chicken, salmon with a good soluble base. 3oz of poultry or fish is about 25g of protein. Eat that twice a day and some egg whites in the morning and you'd be set.

I think massages help to reduce stress and relax your body--and you feel good for treating yourself every now and then

Are you exercising enough? Drinking enough water? I know when I don't do those I feel icky. Or for instance, right now, I have MAJOR stress and my tummy's a lost cause in spite of everything. I know that in 2 weeks it'll be over and I can go back to feeling more normal.

For now, I'd try increasing fiber supplements and water and see what happens. That's not too hard to work into your day. Good luck!

--------------------
--Julie

#69859 - 05/12/04 12:56 PM
pearlmaj

Quote:

Oh, no! That's not good that this diet hasn't helped you enough. But first, let's give you credit for and a big round of applause for the decrease in the big bad attacks!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{YAY, YOU!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

You know, I think I needed to hear that! I don't think I've been feeling that way and I should.

Quote:

I would definitely try increasing your fiber. And make absolutely sure you are doing one of Heather's seven deadly sneaky sins from her newsletters.

I'll look those up and check it out to make sure.

Quote:

Other than that, I'm going to suggest something that the rest of the board may not agree with. Since the major issue for you is the stress of trying to follow the diet given your busy lifestyle, maybe try a slightly gentler version of it. Like first just make sure you're getting as much soluble fiber foods as possible and as little roughage, like switch from salads for lunch to sandwiches. Like having a baked potato on the side instead of creamed spinach. Like having pancakes or cereal for breakfast in stead of eggs and bacon. Not that I'm saying you do!

I think you are right -- I need to ease up a little bit but not give up entirely. It's just really really hard for me to know where I can be more lenient... more ideas on this would definitely be appreciated!

Quote:

And finally, the hypnotherapy tapes might be what you need. Or a prescription antispasmodic if you don't take one already.

I do take an Rx antispasmodic already (I think it deserves most of the credit for the reduced attacks, actually -- it totally helped this a.m.). As for the tapes, I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on $100 for something that seems suspiciously new-agey to me...

Quote:

Please don't give up. But don't beat yourself up either. Okay? Find a happy medium you can live with for now. And just take it one day at a time. A friend of mine says he can do anything for 12 hours that would appall him if he had to keep it up for a lifetime! What a great perspective, huh?!

Great advice. Thank you very much. I was bummed at first because it seemed like no one was going to respond to my post -- it's amazing how much better it makes me feel to have help from people who understand all too well what this is all about!!!

#69861 - 05/12/04 01:00 PM
LauraSue

You're very welcome, pretty lady. As far the new-agey thing, I had the same reaction, but clinical studies have shown a significant benefit. In fact in the UK, health insurance actually pays for hypnotherapy for certain problems because it is proven to help. That said, we all have to do whatever we're most comfortable with. But you'll get LOTS of rave reviews about them from everybody here. Ooh, I think Heather has the article about the study posted in the Library. Can anyone find the link for poor fibrofogged me????

Glad you're around and hope you keep at it, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69863 - 05/12/04 01:08 PM
pearlmaj

Quote:

How much fiber are you taking right now? What kinds have you tried? Sometimes it's just a matter of one kind not working as well as another. Benefiber makes me WORSE, but citrucel and acacia really help.

I take one citrucel tablet in the morning and another midday. I tried metamucil powder (before I knew about the bloat-inducing properties of psyllium) and citrucel powder but found I hated the goop so much that I couldn't get myself to drink it. I haven't tried benefiber, acacia or equalactin. From other posts, it sounds like I should give the equalactin a try in addition to my citrucel tablets. I'll also ask my gastro about increasing my dosage on the citrucel tablets.

Quote:

You are right about the protein. I wasn't getting enough and I've upped that too and have tons more energy! Try soy/rice protein powders in smoothies, turkey, chicken, salmon with a good soluble base. 3oz of poultry or fish is about 25g of protein. Eat that twice a day and some egg whites in the morning and you'd be set.

Wow -- 2x a day is tough -- do you pack a lunch? What's a typical day's menu for you?? As for the egg whites -- how are you preparing them? I tend to eat just a Luna bar for breakfast (I'm so not a morning person). I've done the smoothie thing once (well, three times, really: my S.O. made a batch for me and we split it up into 3 servings and froze them) but I need to pick up more frozen fruit from the grocery store so that we can make them again.

Quote:

I think massages help to reduce stress and relax your body--and you feel good for treating yourself every now and then

I'm overdue -- I am going to call for an appointment as soon as I finish this post!

Quote:

Are you exercising enough? Drinking enough water? I know when I don't do those I feel icky.

I am drowning myself in water but I am not exercising at all -- I need to make time to do that.

Okay, here's what I am taking away from this so far:
-load up on soluble fiber but don't obsess over every rule of the diet (but which ones???)
-talk to doc about increasing citrucel/adding equalactin
-make massage appointment STAT!
-learn more about upping protein intake
-get to the gym

#69864 - 05/12/04 01:11 PM
pearlmaj

Quote:

As far the new-agey thing, I had the same reaction, but clinical studies have shown a significant benefit.

You know, even my regular doctor suggested them to me, and she is pretty grounded. I still feel kinda weird about them for some reason -- not sure why. Maybe I assume (correctly) that I'll probably never listen to them?? I need to borrow a CD walkman or something.

#69865 - 05/12/04 01:13 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Please don't give up. Sometimes it just takes a lot of trial and error to get it right. Believe me, I am so tired of keeping a food diary and then when I have an attack going back and figuring out what caused it. Also, I take a lot of time reading labels at the grocery store. Each one of us is individual in our symptoms and methods of relief. I hope you find yours soon and keep coming to the boards because there is a lot of help and sympathy here.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

Hang in there... new
      #69877 - 05/12/04 01:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you've helped the pain, which is a good thing, and I think others gave you lots of advice which will help address the remaining symptoms. And definitely give yourself a big hug and a congrats for doing so much work to help yourself!

I'd dump the Citrucel caps altogether. I don't know why, but for some people (and I'm one of them) they don't seem to work at all - I mean seriously, not at all. Other people have told me the same thing, and I don't know what's going on, but virtually any other soluble fiber pill or powder will work better. And definitely up the dosage - slowly but carefully, try to work up to 12-15 grams a day.

Are you eating enough during the day? A luna bar ain't much for breakfast. Getting enough protein should be a snap. You can have as much seafood, skinless white meat poultry, egg whites, and soy as you like, with every meal if you want. Oatmeal is a good morning source of protein.

Do check the research library under the hypnosis section for a TON of clinical studies in this area. I know it seems new-agey, but it's definitely not. It has better results than any of the IBS drugs on the market, with zero side effects or risks, and much, much better long-term results. It's also cheaper than the drugs not to mention totally safe. The studies are listed here Hypnosis studies for IBS and you can actually listen to audio clips from the program itself right here Listen to the program

It's okay to be frustrated - that's normal, and human, and give yourself permission to feel this. It's also okay to be stressed and angry about IBS - it's not fun or easy to deal with, so give yourself a break. You've been working really hard and not seeing the results you deserve, and you don't have to be happy about that. But do give yourself big snaps for the work you've done, for being persistent, and for asking for more direction so you can keep going forward towards success.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hang in there girly!! new
      #69889 - 05/12/04 02:23 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I know there are times when we ALL get down, and we are sick of checking EVERY SINGLE LABEL when we're at the grocery store, and remembering to take our fiber, and wishing our bellies would just look and feel NORMAL...

But we do have good days!! And there are ALL of us here who can sympathize with you. But hang in there.

Try going shopping and get a big bulk of food you know you can eat without feeling horrible. That way you can take snacks with you and have them when you are hungry and you won't have to think as much about what you are going to eat.

And YES, if you need to cheat every now and then - GO FOR IT (shh.. don't tell). But sometimes we need to stop that craving and then it makes mus want to work harder to get ourselves back to "IBS normal" again.

Light some candles, turn on the soft tunes, take a nice warm bath, drink some tea (or have a piece of chocolate - with some Equalactin - ha!) and just relax!

We're here for ya girly!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Edited by Bethany (05/12/04 02:25 PM)

#69945 - 05/12/04 04:56 PM
tuxedocat

Yes, those sound like good do-able goals! I don't really obsess over the rules, just do the best you can. As for breakfast, I usually have an odwalla bar superprotein and a glass of soy milk. I'm not a morning person either! And actually, I don't like eggs, but most people do, so I suggested that to you. I usually bring my lunch or eat at home (I'm a grad student). So turkey sandwiches if I'm on the go, or soy yogurt and a PB sandwich. Maybe some soy cheese with pretzels for a snack (or SoyCrips--just discovered these! the cinnamon apple are yummy!). Then I have chicken or fish for dinner. If I'm feelining lazy, then I'll have hummus or another turkey sandwich or even a smoothie. But I don't beat myself up if I don't get enough protein one day. Just as long as don't do for days on end.

You just got to be realistic with yourself. If you don't get in all the protein or enough veggies or fruit one day, it's ok. Just sort of average things out over the week. But don't ever skimp on the soluble fiber For me that's the one rule that's NEVER flexible.

--------------------
--Julie

hang in there.... new
      #69982 - 05/12/04 07:28 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

sounds like you've gotten great advice from all sorts of people. i can't imagine what i can add except a little support.

you've been a good doobie for 8 weeks, and that's great. i know the diet is restrictive and if you're not seeing results that can certainly lead to resentment. i just hope that you're able to recognize the improvements you have made. you say your big whoppers are scaled down. that may or may not be the antispasmodics. certainly they factor in! but it's also possible that the diet is impacting that, as well. i know that the triggers really are triggers for me, and by avoiding them, i greatly cut down on the attacks.

i think it's definitely possible to get so worked-up over your own health that you make things worse. sounds like that could be happening to you. putting such a focus on things, especially when you're torn about your feelings on it, can really wreak havoc.

cut yourself a break and ease up a bit. Heather advised you to get rid of the Citrucel. i think that may be a good idea. that's what i started with, and it almost made me give up the diet. well, frankly, i did give up the diet for a few months. in fact, i didn't like any of the fibers untils the acacia. (not saying that's the answer for you, just saying that it's possible the answer is out there for you and you just haven't hit it yet!)

well, good luck. keep posting. we're rooting for ya!

--------------------

#70173 - 05/13/04 01:59 PM
pearlmaj

Quote:

But don't ever skimp on the soluble fiber For me that's the one rule that's NEVER flexible.

Maybe I am not getting enough soluble fiber?? I try to snack throughout the day on soluble fiber (pretzels, corn pops, fat free saltines). How much soluble fiber should I be eating at mealtimes?

Last night I had sushi for dinner and I made a point of eating a little rice at the beginning but I didn't worry about the amount because I was having nigiri, so each piece of fish came with a little more rice. And on Monday at lunch, I had been snacking before lunch on pretzels and then I ate a roll before having my meal (shrimp louie without egg yolks or dressing -- in other words, shrimp, lettuce, and egg white rings with lemon squeezed on top). Is this not enough? I worry that if I fill up on the white rice and the bread, etc., that I will get too full to eat enough protein, veggies, etc., especially given the need to eat small meals. (If I have more than a few bites of something, I get bloated -- a decent-sized meal and that turns into button-popping uncomfortable bloating.)

Re: hang in there.... new
      #70175 - 05/13/04 02:05 PM
pearlmaj

Quote:

Heather advised you to get rid of the Citrucel. i think that may be a good idea. that's what i started with, and it almost made me give up the diet. well, frankly, i did give up the diet for a few months. in fact, i didn't like any of the fibers untils the acacia. (not saying that's the answer for you, just saying that it's possible the answer is out there for you and you just haven't hit it yet!)

JenX and others, how did you know which fiber you liked? I know I HATE the goop so for me it has to be tablets, but other than that, how can I know that it is working/not working?

I was thinking I would up my citrucel intake to 2 in the a.m. and 2 midday, given that I bought two bottles of the dang things (one for work and one for home so that I wouldn't forget midday) and that I would make sure not to skip any midday doses (missing them once in a while so far meant that I was only getting one pill in a day, which is insufficient from what I have read on this site).

Should I give the Citrucel a chance at the higher dosage or scrap it in favor of some other tablet? (Suggestions on tablets to try much appreciated.)

AND thanks so much for all the support/suggestions/etc. -- I am not much for sappy sentiments, but it really does help to have you guys here!

#70216 - 05/13/04 04:10 PM
tuxedocat

hello again! it looks like you're eating enough SF with your meals. I eat about that much too.

I don't like goop either, but have you tried Citrucel Clear Mix? No orangey flavor and you can mix it in any cold beverage. Or acacia is great since it dissolves completely(no goop at all, you can even put it in tea!) But you might as well use up the tablets while you increase your fiber, since you've got them already. Then try switching, so you're not taking a zillion tablets all day long.

As for it working/not working, I noticed within about 3 days if was working because I felt better all around. Less gurgly, less gas, less D. Then I just got better and better slowly as I increased the Citrucel to 4 scoops a day. I had instant D after taking Benefiber so that solved that (However, I think Kree really likes Benefiber, so you can see it's an individual thing). I switched to acacia because it's more cost-effective and the supply lasts longer.

Does that help?

--------------------
--Julie

#70224 - 05/13/04 04:31 PM
pearlmaj

It helps a lot!!! Thanks!

fiber new
      #70235 - 05/13/04 05:49 PM
jenX

at the risk of sounding like a moron or Heather's drug-pushing lackey (i'm neither!), i would advise that you try acacia. i know, i know, it's a powder, but hang with me for a minute, here. your objections are to the "goopiness," right? i give you my solemn vow that the acacia is NOT goopy. i promise you that. there are some debates on whether or not it's tasteless, though. almost all of us say it is totally tasteless, but i think a few people say they can taste it. i get a faint hint of... something... if i just drink it in a glass of water, but i mix it in my smoothie, my juice, my tea, my applesauce, my yogurt.... i never taste a thing. and it's NOT GOOPY.

i swear it. i wouldn't lead you astray, 'cause i have a real texture issue. i can't eat or drink things that are freaky, and if you have a problem with goop, i can sympathize. i wouldn't lead you astray!

and i really really felt better when i added it.

just a thought.

--------------------

#70250 - 05/13/04 06:33 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh please don't give up! I know you probably feel like you've been doing this FOREVER, but 8 weeks isn't all that long. It took me months to stabilise properly, but after...uh...9 months? on the diet, I now only have problems when I've been bad or I'm ill otherwise (migraine, flu, etc). It's made such a big difference.

The soluble fibre supplements helped me more than anything the doc gave me and I had to take Fybogel for ages, which is the most disgusting goopy mess imaginable! But now I have the joy of Acacia, which is so incredible (btw, thank you Heather for the latest delivery! Got it this morning...v.exciting! ). The only thing I can think it tastes like is slightly stale water. And it goes in anything. I have in tea, cereal, oatmeal, noodles....

You don't sound like you're eating much??? I know its hard when you can't eat proper sized meals, but snacking (on soluble fibre) is essential. If you don't feel you're getting enough protein, what about a protein shake?

You totally sound like a type-A persona (very into controlling your life - like I was!) and I bet the hypno or yoga would really, really help. It's not new-agey at all - there've been so many clinical studies proving how good it is. Sounds like you could do with making more time for "me-time". Book that massage. Then think about scheduling regular slots to do yoga or hypno or something! Look after yourself girlie - you're not a robot!

Goop, what goop??!! new
      #70402 - 05/14/04 10:02 AM
LauraSue

I take Metamucil (I know it bothers alot of people, but it's fine for me). My goop-advoidance technique is:

Put 8 oz of water in a glass.
Add 1 rounded tsp of Metamucil
Stand at sink and stir vigorously
Drink IMMEDIATELY all in one go.
But don't drain the last little gritty dregs
Have a sip or two of clear water
Wash glass and spoon.

If I were to let it sit and get goopy, I'd never drink it either!!

BTW, I think Benefiber advertizes that it never gets goopy, and neither does Heather's acacia from what I've read.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: fiber new
      #70449 - 05/14/04 11:48 AM
pearlmaj

Quote:

at the risk of sounding like a moron or Heather's drug-pushing lackey (i'm neither!), i would advise that you try acacia. i know, i know, it's a powder, but hang with me for a minute, here. your objections are to the "goopiness," right? i give you my solemn vow that the acacia is NOT goopy. i promise you that. there are some debates on whether or not it's tasteless, though. almost all of us say it is totally tasteless, but i think a few people say they can taste it. i get a faint hint of... something... if i just drink it in a glass of water, but i mix it in my smoothie, my juice, my tea, my applesauce, my yogurt.... i never taste a thing. and it's NOT GOOPY.

i swear it. i wouldn't lead you astray, 'cause i have a real texture issue. i can't eat or drink things that are freaky, and if you have a problem with goop, i can sympathize. i wouldn't lead you astray!

and i really really felt better when i added it.

just a thought.

It's a good thought and as a fellow-haver-of-texture-issues (my gag reflex is soooo sensitive), I do believe you -- but tablets take almost zero effort whereas powder requires me to do something. I know, I know, it requires very little effort but like Plato said (or was it Socrates?), "know thyself"! If only acacia came in tablets...

I have to go p/u a refill of Hyoscyamine after work today so I am thinking I will also buy Fibercon -- as I understand it, Fibercon also comes in tablets but unlike Citrucel should hopefully work (and unlike metamucil it doesn't contain psyllium). In the meantime, I have upped my dose of citrucel to 2 in the a.m. and 2 midday but I am still having loose/soft stool. Frame of mind is better today though -- it's so sunny and nice, and my evil cold/sinus infection is almost gone, so I am feeling cheerful.

#70454 - 05/14/04 11:55 AM
pearlmaj

Quote:

Oh please don't give up! I know you probably feel like you've been doing this FOREVER, but 8 weeks isn't all that long. It took me months to stabilise properly, but after...uh...9 months? on the diet, I now only have problems when I've been bad or I'm ill otherwise (migraine, flu, etc). It's made such a big difference.

That's encouraging... I wonder what that's all about, though? I mean, what changes after long enough time?

Quote:

You don't sound like you're eating much??? I know its hard when you can't eat proper sized meals, but snacking (on soluble fibre) is essential. If you don't feel you're getting enough protein, what about a protein shake?

Yah, need to make those -- tried to buy frozen fruit at the grocery store last night but couldn't find any! Weird.

Quote:

You totally sound like a type-A persona (very into controlling your life - like I was!) and I bet the hypno or yoga would really, really help. It's not new-agey at all - there've been so many clinical studies proving how good it is. Sounds like you could do with making more time for "me-time". Book that massage. Then think about scheduling regular slots to do yoga or hypno or something! Look after yourself girlie - you're not a robot!

You made me laugh out loud when I read this because you totally have me down cold. "Type A" should be tattooed on my forehead. Lots of big things in my life have been completely out of my control so I don't like relinquishing control and I hate to admit that this is not in my control. I think I am beginning to get there but even thinking about how to make time for the CDs, or for a yoga class, etc., stresses me out! I am already behind on hours for the year at work, so I need to crank it up a notch, not take more time off. I know what you are prob. thinking -- health is more important. It's true, but it is really hard for me to let work go. Who could have predicted that such a slacker would grow into such an anal adult with this kind of work ethic? If only my parents could see me now, they might not recognize me as their lazy daughter.

Re: fiber new
      #70519 - 05/14/04 03:33 PM
jenX

i'm glad you're feeling more cheerful. being chronically sick is such a drag, sometimes it just really gets ya down.

PS: if acacia came in tablet form, i would kiss Heather smack on the lips! i'm terribly lazy and would love to just toss back some capsules or something.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3011 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4154

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review