All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: My Story new
      #7060 - 04/24/03 09:37 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

Hi Sharon, It's nice to run across a fellow-chocoholic. I used to have chocolate something everyday until alas! the IBS-C got me. I do miss my old friends: Cadbury, Hershey, Nestle & M&M.

I'm not sure which is worse since I started with D but have now become totally C which is truly terrible as well. It is so bad (yesterday I had a really bad attack) that now I am afraid to take a nibble of anything that could trigger me. The wierd thing is that I thought I was sticking to the diet when I had the bad attack but perhaps it was the apple juice or chinese mango thingy that I tried (I'm always looking for other safe, ready-made stuff that I can just buy and eat for a "fix" of something sweet). I have to try all the choco recipes that I printed (I would kill to be able to eat a chocolate chip cookie though), but we don't have soya butter in Trinidad (Caribbean ). Oh well - I'll try the cookies without it and see what happens. I did discover that Fireside marshmallows seems to be safe. Hmmmmm maybe my attack wasn't because of the apple juice; since I had a whole bag of marshmallows about 3 days ago, or perhaps the combination? Who knows!

Sorry just realized that I've gone on-and-on-and-on!

Lisa.

PS. I'm so thirsty for info that I've read the entire message board!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#7061 - 04/24/03 10:00 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

At least I know I am not the only one!! I feel horrible after cheating because I know what will happen when I do. But I have gotten a little better, i only eat it once a month!! But Sharon told me about cocoa powder!! So, I think there will be some experimenting in the future!!
Thanks, Yolie

#7063 - 04/24/03 10:06 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

I have found that marshmallows give me attacks! But i have found hot chocolate, it's white chocolate and it's non dairy. I found out that I have become lactose intolerant thanks to IBS. Lactaid ice cream is really good!! When I have attacks I eat dry crackers and drink a lot of water. Water is actually all I can drink besides hot decaf tea and the chocolate I mentioned. Looks like marshmallows don't agree with you either. We don't need them anyway.

Thanks

Edited by yolie (04/24/03 10:08 AM)

Re: IBS and weight loss? new
      #7065 - 04/24/03 10:12 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I think everybody is different, but remember, I also exercise intensively five days a week (used to be 7). Are you also exercising aerobically?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Re: My IBS Story (sent to Nutrition Action Newsletter) new
      #7066 - 04/24/03 10:20 AM
Zaftig1

This is a website you might find interesting:

http://www.bodypositive.com

I think the reasons why I never minded being big (and actually, even liked it), was threefold:

1. As a kid I was viciously teased in school because I was underweight...I was called bag of bones, beanpole, skinny minnie, etc. Boys sometimes threw food at me during recess, saying, "EAT something!" So whereas most fat women who were fat as kids have trauma from being teased for being fat, I have the reverse. My father also screwed me up as a kid when he showed me pics of the emaciated people liberated from Nazi death camps. I asked why they were so skinny and he said because they were starving and almost dead.

Likewise, it seems that EVERYONE I loved as a child died not long after losing a lot of weight (they had cancer, and sudden weight loss is a sign of cancer.) So I came to associate losing weight (esp. a lot of it) with being sick. PLus, I always had relatives urging me to eat, saying, "You look so THIN! Doesnt your mother feed you? Here, eat this...and this."

I didnt start gaining weight till I hit 21 however...and it went on very slowly. It came off very fast, once I started doing the IBS lifestyle however.

2. It seemed that the best things to happen to me in my life happened after I got fat...met my husband, had my kids, got a happier life, etc.

3. I grew up witnessing my mother drive herself insane on Weight Watchers. She joined sometime in 1967 when I was 6, and she gained and lost the same 50 lbs over and over again. She used to cry if she "cheated" or ate anything "illegal". Although I have never dieted to lose weight, I am well aware of the lingo of "exchanges", "illegal food", "legal food" (I think WW still uses some of those terms)...the self hate dieters often feel, the things lecturers say at meetings to make people feel bad about being fat. I swore I'd never fall into that. I truly do believe its a racket to make money for the people who start these organizations.

Ironically, my doctor credits the fact that I never yo yo dieted to the fact that I lost weight so quickly, so easily. He said ppl who diet repeatedly over a lifetime often mess up their metabolisms do that when they try to lose weight, they cant.

--------------------

#7077 - 04/24/03 11:50 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I am exercising 3-4 days per week but not consistently. I need to improve on that. I have a bad back and walking on the treadmill kills me. I'll try the bike like you're doing and my chiropractor also suggested using the slider machines at the gym. You should be commended for your diligence with the exercise.

#7091 - 04/24/03 01:09 PM
Zaftig1

I dont know your physical condition, but some advice:

If you are relatively new to exercise (which you're not really), start out SLOW, do only 10 mins a day, then gradually work up to an hour a day or more. Took me a yr to work up to an hr a day. Also, do it first thing in the AM when you have the most energy, drink lots of water before, during and after, and if you feel pain, take a break. Its also important to take a break (day off) every two or three days. I usually work out M-F then rest on weekends. Or you can do M, T, off W, then Th and F and off Sat and Sun.

Good luck!

--------------------

#7094 - 04/24/03 01:35 PM
vilate45

Reged: 04/24/03

Great pic of you, gal. I am 57. Have had ibs for about 5 years. My PA said on Monday when giving me a shot of Demerol and more pain pills, Vicodin, I am beginng to think your pain is not the typical ibs. I have had 2 failed bladder repairs, 2 years apart and a hysterectomy with last bladder repair. He asked me if all bowel movement seemed normal and I said yes. Now taking so much strong pain meds., I am back on prunes and have only eaten l piece of toast with butter all week and scrambled eggs and a few black jelly beans hoping to help the constipation. My sis is a dietican in Florida and once emailed me about an ibs site and I gave the info to a neighbor with Chron's. My sis still has not sent me the info. Do you know where I can obtain such info? Foods to eat and NOT to eat. I am, after 5 days beginning to get hungry. I must cook for my husband. I did have l bowl of chicken noodle soup from Mother Campbell, 7Up, let it get stale, l c. of coffee this am. I also have depression for which I am being treated, high blood pressure, acid reflux disease and arthritis, and thyroid problems, but now seem to be under control. Thanks for listening. A gal recommended to me to drink orange juice about l/4 cup not watered down with apple cider vinegar, but, to date I have not done it. I am in the western panhandle of Nebraska. Carolyn

#7096 - 04/24/03 01:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Carolyn - For detailed IBS eating guidelines check here web page and for info on breaking a cycle of attacks check here web page. Definitely start taking a soluble fiber supplement - that info is here web page

Welcome to the board!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7097 - 04/24/03 02:03 PM
mouse

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Canada

Hi Yolie, I think it is great that you have posted a note here. I was so relieved to find I was not as alone as I had thought. My family also has a hard time with the symptoms and one doctor told me it was all in my head. My boyfriend is supportive at times and at others he is frustrated and sais I should at least try a bit of a trigger food to see if it still has the same effect. I have learned it is not worth it. I don't care how much I enjoy apples or corn on the cob! Anyway stick to it, it is so worth it!

--------------------
If we don't change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 49448

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review