All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
My IBS Story (sent to Nutrition Action Newsletter)
      #6910 - 04/23/03 11:00 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

Sorry I have not been here lately, the holidays kept me offline.

I subscribe to a newsletter called Nutrition Action, which shows you which foods are good and which are not. They recently sent out a call to anyone who had lost weight, asking for their stories. While my story to me is not really about weight loss but about IBS, I decided to send them my story anyway. Here it is:

>>>>>>>

CSPI--Thinning Ideas
Suite 300
1875 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20009

23 April 2003

I feel strange writing this...for 3 years now I have been an activist in the size/fat acceptance movement, and still am. I believe it is fully possible for a person to be happy at whatever size she/he happens to be. I also do not believe most people need to lose weight to be healthy unless they have other health issues affected by their weight. I have been a big woman for about 21 years and not once has it ever impacted my health negatively or my social life. Having said that...

Let me say that two years ago I began losing 100 pounds without trying to or intending to. Ever since the age of 16 I have suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS (I was quite thin at the time I was diagnosed, by the way, so weight had no bearing on it.) At the time (1976), they didn't know much about it, except that it comes and goes, and at the time was treated with Donnatal for stomach spasms.

Two and a half years ago I discovered a book called Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous. This book outlined ways to treat IBS naturally to prevent attacks (I had been having attacks frequently, induced by my recent pregnancies, after having seen them go into remission when I was 21) Heather's plan included:

Avoiding high fat foods, or eating them only in very small quantities and not very often;
Exercise to regulate bowel function;
drinking plenty of water;
avoiding artificial sweeteners;
reducing red meat intake and dairy intake;
eating plenty of soluble fiber;
eating smaller, more frequent meals as opposed to three larger meals daily.
Avoiding stress as much as possible

Because of the severity of my IBS attacks (which often left me fearful to leave the house), I adopted her plan immediately. That was 2 years ago and I have lost 100 lbs as a side effect. I'm not really excited over the weight loss, because I enjoyed being a large woman and was content with my size. What does delight me is that my IBS attacks have stopped entirely! At this point I cannot even remember how bad they were, and all my Imodium and Bentyl meds that I used to practically live on have expired from non-use!

But as for the weight issue, I went from an all time high of 305 lbs to my current 200 lbs. I continue to lose weight. I do not weigh myself at home (I never have), but I know what I weigh when I visit my doctor, who weighs me there. Basically what I do every day and will do for the rest of my life to keep IBS attacks away, is:

Eat smaller more frequent meals--
Drink nothing but spring water, and occasionally skim milk and fruit juice--
Eat low fat or fat free foods--
Eat an occasional junk food treat, but in small quantities so as not to trigger IBS--
Exercise aerobically (recumbent exercise bike) for one hour to 90 minutes five days a week (used to be 7 days a week but my doctor told me to take two days off for a break)--
Add extra complex carbs to my meals since I am exercising daily (complex carbs also help keep IBS at bay)--
I also do not eat sugar very often, but this is not IBS-related (sugar does not cause IBS attacks yet artificial sweeteners do). We have avoided most sugar in our home ever since my husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 4 years ago.--
Using meditation and visualization to reduce stress (stress triggers IBS attacks too.)--

Please note that I must eat this way and live this way for the rest of my life. It is not a quick fix and because of the permanency of my new lifestyle, I doubt the weight will ever come back. Or the IBS!

(For your information: Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, is a non life threatening, non health threatening condition found mostly in women. It is usually diagnosed in the teen years, and manifests itself with sudden, severe diahrrhea alternating with constipation sometimes, occasional vomiting and nausea, and severe stomach pains. The unpredictability of attacks and the fact that different things can trigger attacks in different people, tends to leave IBS sufferers with a fear of traveling or being anywhere without immediate access to a restroom they can occupy for extended periods of time, since spasms during an attack can come every few minutes.)

Sincerely,

XXXX

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My IBS Story (sent to Nutrition Action Newsletter) new
      #6912 - 04/23/03 11:06 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Excellent post!
That was really well written and explained things clearly - let's hope it sheds some light on the syndrome for anyone out there who may be suffering and not knowing why.
Also, I like the 'non-apologetic size' tone of it, I wish I could be that strong about the shape I am.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

My Story new
      #6933 - 04/23/03 12:22 PM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

I found out that I had IBS last year after 3 months of very painful testing and loss of 45 pounds but I thank GOD that every morning I wake up and see my children. I honestly thought I was going to die because no one could explain what was happening. I was told about Eating for IBS by a fellow co-worker and it has worked wonders for me. My only problem is when I start to feel better I start to cheat on my diet. My husband helps me a great deal with my diet. He has been a tremendous help to me because no one in my family understands what I am going through. My mother went as far as to tell me that I was faking for attention. How could I have faked it if I had never heard of it!! I was looking through the postings and decided to reply. I just ask for support so I can stick to my diet and lead a healthy life. I don't want to see my kids cry because mommy has a tummy ache. Thanks for hearing me out and God Bless!!

Re: My Story new
      #6943 - 04/23/03 01:47 PM
britsarah

Welcome to the board yolie
I know how you feel, I posted last weekend about 'cheating'on the diet. It is hard to deny yourself things you like but can no longer have, and then putting up with the consequences. I think it's almost diet mentality of ' oh, that tastes good but I'm not allowed it', whereas it's needs to change to 'that will make me feel bad, so it's not worth it'.
We're all struggling the same, so don't feel alone and keep posting.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

#6945 - 04/23/03 01:49 PM
yolie

Finally, someone who understands!!! Thank you! I am trying my best to stick to the diet and my husband has been very strict with me. Please keep in touch!!!

#6949 - 04/23/03 01:57 PM
britsarah

No problem!
Feel free to post when you need the support, I worried at first about posting when I felt down or just needed to know other people were feeling the same, I thought you should only post questions. However I think the support from everyone is amazing and really important to all of us, otherwise we wouldn't all stick around. I feel like I have an extended family now, who includes you in everything and doesn't make you feel bad for butting in with your own ideas.
definitly *hugs* to Heather for setting up this board!!

Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

#6951 - 04/23/03 02:04 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Anita - glad to hear from you again. I thought you just settled into lurkdom!!!!

That was a great letter. Being a large size woman too I know what you're talking about, but my size made it impossible to even bend over to tie my shoes without not being able to breathe. I lost the 40 lbs because I wanted to. I feel better now (I can actually bend over to tie my shoes and breathe at the same time) and would really like to lose another 20 lbs. I've had several surgeries which involved incisions on my abdomen (women problems) and now the scars which have been stitched from the inside to something (I don't know what) is making that extra "tissue" appear rather strange. If I could get rid of that extra stuff, I sure would feel better.

Did you ever get any replies or comments from this article?

Keep on posting, my little zaftig kreplach! LOL. We love to hear from all of you, now matter what you have to say.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6955 - 04/23/03 02:11 PM
SharonMello

Yolie - Welcome to our IBS boards. It's nice to have someone from Philly--my old stomping grounds. I used to live in NJ and worked at Gimbel's in Philly in the office for a VP. That was in the old days, tho. I now live in sunny (well, not today) California up in the mountains.

It's great to hear that you're feeling better now. And, it's also terrific that your kids are so compassionate. I wish adults could be like that!

It's very hard to adhere to strict rules, but when it comes to IBS, I guess we have to or suffer the consequences. I, too, cheat sometimes because I dearly love chocolate. So, if I can't have Hershey's bars, I make desserts with cocoa powder instead and they're just as satisfying, although I do wanna eat the whole recipe at one sitting!!! And, if that isn't bad enough, the Hershey's chocolate plant is only an hour away in Oakdale, Ca. There's one in Hershey, Pa too, right? And, if that really isn't bad enough, their gift shop is enough to make you go into a diabetic coma by just walking through the doors!!! Needless to say, I don't go there, except if we take visitors through--no charge for the tour and, of course, they pick you up and drop you off at the gift shop. How convenient!!! LOL

--------------------
Sharon

#6957 - 04/23/03 02:13 PM
SharonMello

Yolie - Welcome to our IBS boards. It's nice to have someone from Philly--my old stomping grounds. I used to live in NJ and worked at Gimbel's in Philly in the office for a VP. That was in the old days, tho. I now live in sunny (well, not today) California up in the mountains.

It's great to hear that you're feeling better now. And, it's also terrific that your kids are so compassionate. I wish adults could be like that!

It's very hard to adhere to strict rules, but when it comes to IBS, I guess we have to or suffer the consequences. I, too, cheat sometimes because I dearly love chocolate. So, if I can't have Hershey's bars, I make desserts with cocoa powder instead and they're just as satisfying, although I do wanna eat the whole recipe at one sitting!!! And, if that isn't bad enough, the Hershey's chocolate plant is only an hour away in Oakdale, Ca. There's one in Hershey, Pa too, right? And, if that really isn't bad enough, their gift shop is enough to make you go into a diabetic coma by just walking through the doors!!! Needless to say, I don't go there, except if we take visitors through--no charge for the tour and, of course, they pick you up and drop you off at the gift shop. How convenient!!! LOL

I read your bio and see that you're a traffic controller...meaning air or???? That's enough stress right there to trigger attacks!

Welcome, again, yolie.

Sharon

BTW, I'm one of the Recipe Exchange board moderators. Please feel free to ask for any chocolate recipe I have--I love to share (and any other recipe for that matter).

--------------------
Sharon

#6977 - 04/23/03 02:59 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

This is wonderful. We all had a discussion recently about educating people about IBS. (And FYI Sharon - now I feel bad just saying I have food allergies - I feel I have to explain exactly what I have - thanks! LOL)

Anyways - I agree with you to be proud of the size you are. I do not exactly have major weight issues. I would say I am overweight for my height. But I know it's merely because I don't exercise.

However, I watched my mom struggle with her weight all her life. She always thought that thin was the best. I always told her, if you are dressed nicely and well kept people only comment on how nice you look. You will never hear someone say "Oh my, that's a pretty lady even for being overweight".

She never believed me though and now she is pretty much anorexic looking. I worry about her. She looks terrible. She looked way better when she was bigger than she is now.

I think your story is a true inspiration as well as educational.

Wonderfully written!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: this is wonderful... new
      #6982 - 04/23/03 03:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

thank you so much for sharing this with us!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7043 - 04/24/03 07:09 AM
Zaftig1

I can relate! One reason why I am so big (no pun intended--lol) on size acceptance and also anti-weight loss dieting, is because I saw what weight obsession did to my mother. She let it RULE her life. I swore I'd never do that.

I do think though that women who were always fat, even as kids, have the biggest problem in coming to terms and accepting their size. In that sense I'm lucky I was a skinny kid and only became fat as an adult.

--------------------

#7047 - 04/24/03 07:13 AM
Zaftig1

Hi Sharon! You know, we have similar problems with the tummy area. I never hated any part of my body until I LOST the 100 lbs...because now I have this ugly bag of skin that hangs off my stomach where my big belly used to be. When I was heavier, the belly stuck out and the skin looked good. Now its all wrinkly and saggy where the belly used to be. The skin didnt snap back as I assumed it would. And like you, I have had a lot of stomach surgeries, so my dr won't let me do any abdominal exercises like ab crunches. Friends tell me surgery to fix the saggy skin is the only thing that will work.
For the record, I've had 3 Csections, 7 pregnancies and one hysterectomy. Thats a LOT of tummy skin stretching! I dont think my weight gain did as much damage as the pregnancies...I gained weight VERY slowly (took me 21 yrs to become as big as I was)...and when skin is stretched slowly I dont think it causes the damage a pregnancy does, because in pregnancy it stretches in 9 months rather than 21 years.

--------------------

#7050 - 04/24/03 07:17 AM
yolie

Hi Sharon,
Hey, I remember Gimbel's!!! Then you must know about Geno's Steaks, that is definetely a no-no!!! I can honestly say that I feel relief knowing I have support. I had never heard of IBS before I was diagnosed. I am very blessed that my husband has been very suppportive! And yes there is a Hershey's and it is in Hershey, PA and when you go on a tour they GIVE you chocolate samples!!! I really only need it once a month to get me through it! But I have been having problems findinf chocolate powder. I have my husband on the lookout but I have found Lactaid ice cream, which I love!!!! Thanks for responding and I will let you know how it turns out when I try your chicke recipesm they sound fantastic!!!
Yolie

Edited by yolie (04/24/03 07:19 AM)

#7051 - 04/24/03 07:24 AM
yolie

It's like having an extended family, one that understands evetything about what is going on!! I told my husabnd about the mesage board and he is very glad I have other people to share this all with. He tries but cannot fully understand. He was very scared when all this started, especially when I passed out twice for no apparent reason!!!! Once was in the street nas I woke up with an EMT screaming at me, luckily my husband with me!! It has been a rocky road but now I have more support and am very thankful for that!!!!

#7053 - 04/24/03 07:42 AM
SharonMello

Yolie - No, I don't remember Geno's Steaks, but I DO REMEMBER Cheese Steak Hoagies...OMG...I love those things!!
You have to remember this was when I was in my early 20's--now I'm 58 so it was a long time ago.

Chocolate powder is really unsweetened cocoa, like Hershey's in the brown box. Every grocery store has it and it's really versatile to use. I even make a hot fudge sauce w/it and it's great!

It's nice to "talk" w/somebody from back home--there are quite a few from PA/NJ on here, too!

--------------------
Sharon

#7054 - 04/24/03 07:49 AM
SharonMello

Hi Anita - Wow! You sure have had a lot of work done on your tummy. I swear...if I have one more scar there we can all play tic-tac-toe on me!!! LOL

I've never been pregnant, but this sort of thing runs in my family--my mom was like this and so is my sis. I'm just hoping it'll get smaller when I lose that extra 20 lbs that's there. AT WW, they say it's like having four 5lb bags of sugar hanging on your waist!!! What a comparison.

Unlike you, I've always minded being overweight. I've felt people were always looking at me. Although I didn't think I looked that big when I looked in a mirror, it sure showed up in photos. Ugghhhh...I looked terrible with squirrel cheeks (you know..always looking full of food) and huge boobs! The funny thing is that even tho I've lost almost 45 lbs I still wear the same bra size. The only difference is that now my bra straps don't slide off my shoulders like they did when I was larger. Is that weird or what?

I guess the whole idea is to feel good about yourself no matter what weight you are. And you know all the advertising, etc., always depicts slim women and not large women. I blame all this on men...it's all their fault!!!! LOL

Keep in touch.

--------------------
Sharon

#7057 - 04/24/03 08:37 AM
yolie

Cheesesteaks from Genos' are the absolute best!!I practically lived there when I was pregnant!!! Do you remember the festivals on Penn's Landing and the Mummers parade??? So, I can use Hershey's in the box to make stuf with???? I can have chocolate w/o pain?!?! That would be great! Thanks!!!!

Edited by yolie (04/24/03 08:43 AM)

IBS and weight loss? new
      #7058 - 04/24/03 08:58 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

So - following the IBS guidelines and excercising you lost weight? I have about 25 more pounds to lose (I've lost 22 with Weight Watchers). I've been following the IBS plan and counting my points using IBS friendly foods. I've been the same weight for 3 weeks (no loss or gain) and it's frustrating. I've been following Heather's plan for about 4 weeks. Do you think weight loss could be an effect for me?

Edited by wac (04/24/03 08:59 AM)

#7059 - 04/24/03 09:20 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

Hi, I too tend to cheat on my diet when I'm feeling good - I do so miss a lot of foods. Of course, I get "paid back" three-fold so hopefully I'll learn my lesson soon. My last really bad attack yesterday was so incredibly horrid that it haunts me and hopefully I won't cheat for a very long time - but food has always been a comfort to me and now I can't turn to my old favorites - sob! Just kidding...
Good luck with "staying straight". Lisa.

#7060 - 04/24/03 09:37 AM
Lisa37

Hi Sharon, It's nice to run across a fellow-chocoholic. I used to have chocolate something everyday until alas! the IBS-C got me. I do miss my old friends: Cadbury, Hershey, Nestle & M&M.

I'm not sure which is worse since I started with D but have now become totally C which is truly terrible as well. It is so bad (yesterday I had a really bad attack) that now I am afraid to take a nibble of anything that could trigger me. The wierd thing is that I thought I was sticking to the diet when I had the bad attack but perhaps it was the apple juice or chinese mango thingy that I tried (I'm always looking for other safe, ready-made stuff that I can just buy and eat for a "fix" of something sweet). I have to try all the choco recipes that I printed (I would kill to be able to eat a chocolate chip cookie though), but we don't have soya butter in Trinidad (Caribbean ). Oh well - I'll try the cookies without it and see what happens. I did discover that Fireside marshmallows seems to be safe. Hmmmmm maybe my attack wasn't because of the apple juice; since I had a whole bag of marshmallows about 3 days ago, or perhaps the combination? Who knows!

Sorry just realized that I've gone on-and-on-and-on!

Lisa.

PS. I'm so thirsty for info that I've read the entire message board!

#7061 - 04/24/03 10:00 AM
yolie

At least I know I am not the only one!! I feel horrible after cheating because I know what will happen when I do. But I have gotten a little better, i only eat it once a month!! But Sharon told me about cocoa powder!! So, I think there will be some experimenting in the future!!
Thanks, Yolie

#7063 - 04/24/03 10:06 AM
yolie

I have found that marshmallows give me attacks! But i have found hot chocolate, it's white chocolate and it's non dairy. I found out that I have become lactose intolerant thanks to IBS. Lactaid ice cream is really good!! When I have attacks I eat dry crackers and drink a lot of water. Water is actually all I can drink besides hot decaf tea and the chocolate I mentioned. Looks like marshmallows don't agree with you either. We don't need them anyway.

Thanks

Edited by yolie (04/24/03 10:08 AM)

Re: IBS and weight loss? new
      #7065 - 04/24/03 10:12 AM
Zaftig1

I think everybody is different, but remember, I also exercise intensively five days a week (used to be 7). Are you also exercising aerobically?

--------------------

#7066 - 04/24/03 10:20 AM
Zaftig1

This is a website you might find interesting:

http://www.bodypositive.com

I think the reasons why I never minded being big (and actually, even liked it), was threefold:

1. As a kid I was viciously teased in school because I was underweight...I was called bag of bones, beanpole, skinny minnie, etc. Boys sometimes threw food at me during recess, saying, "EAT something!" So whereas most fat women who were fat as kids have trauma from being teased for being fat, I have the reverse. My father also screwed me up as a kid when he showed me pics of the emaciated people liberated from Nazi death camps. I asked why they were so skinny and he said because they were starving and almost dead.

Likewise, it seems that EVERYONE I loved as a child died not long after losing a lot of weight (they had cancer, and sudden weight loss is a sign of cancer.) So I came to associate losing weight (esp. a lot of it) with being sick. PLus, I always had relatives urging me to eat, saying, "You look so THIN! Doesnt your mother feed you? Here, eat this...and this."

I didnt start gaining weight till I hit 21 however...and it went on very slowly. It came off very fast, once I started doing the IBS lifestyle however.

2. It seemed that the best things to happen to me in my life happened after I got fat...met my husband, had my kids, got a happier life, etc.

3. I grew up witnessing my mother drive herself insane on Weight Watchers. She joined sometime in 1967 when I was 6, and she gained and lost the same 50 lbs over and over again. She used to cry if she "cheated" or ate anything "illegal". Although I have never dieted to lose weight, I am well aware of the lingo of "exchanges", "illegal food", "legal food" (I think WW still uses some of those terms)...the self hate dieters often feel, the things lecturers say at meetings to make people feel bad about being fat. I swore I'd never fall into that. I truly do believe its a racket to make money for the people who start these organizations.

Ironically, my doctor credits the fact that I never yo yo dieted to the fact that I lost weight so quickly, so easily. He said ppl who diet repeatedly over a lifetime often mess up their metabolisms do that when they try to lose weight, they cant.

--------------------

#7077 - 04/24/03 11:50 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I am exercising 3-4 days per week but not consistently. I need to improve on that. I have a bad back and walking on the treadmill kills me. I'll try the bike like you're doing and my chiropractor also suggested using the slider machines at the gym. You should be commended for your diligence with the exercise.

#7091 - 04/24/03 01:09 PM
Zaftig1

I dont know your physical condition, but some advice:

If you are relatively new to exercise (which you're not really), start out SLOW, do only 10 mins a day, then gradually work up to an hour a day or more. Took me a yr to work up to an hr a day. Also, do it first thing in the AM when you have the most energy, drink lots of water before, during and after, and if you feel pain, take a break. Its also important to take a break (day off) every two or three days. I usually work out M-F then rest on weekends. Or you can do M, T, off W, then Th and F and off Sat and Sun.

Good luck!

--------------------

#7094 - 04/24/03 01:35 PM
vilate45

Reged: 04/24/03

Great pic of you, gal. I am 57. Have had ibs for about 5 years. My PA said on Monday when giving me a shot of Demerol and more pain pills, Vicodin, I am beginng to think your pain is not the typical ibs. I have had 2 failed bladder repairs, 2 years apart and a hysterectomy with last bladder repair. He asked me if all bowel movement seemed normal and I said yes. Now taking so much strong pain meds., I am back on prunes and have only eaten l piece of toast with butter all week and scrambled eggs and a few black jelly beans hoping to help the constipation. My sis is a dietican in Florida and once emailed me about an ibs site and I gave the info to a neighbor with Chron's. My sis still has not sent me the info. Do you know where I can obtain such info? Foods to eat and NOT to eat. I am, after 5 days beginning to get hungry. I must cook for my husband. I did have l bowl of chicken noodle soup from Mother Campbell, 7Up, let it get stale, l c. of coffee this am. I also have depression for which I am being treated, high blood pressure, acid reflux disease and arthritis, and thyroid problems, but now seem to be under control. Thanks for listening. A gal recommended to me to drink orange juice about l/4 cup not watered down with apple cider vinegar, but, to date I have not done it. I am in the western panhandle of Nebraska. Carolyn

#7096 - 04/24/03 01:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Carolyn - For detailed IBS eating guidelines check here web page and for info on breaking a cycle of attacks check here web page. Definitely start taking a soluble fiber supplement - that info is here web page

Welcome to the board!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7097 - 04/24/03 02:03 PM
mouse

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Canada

Hi Yolie, I think it is great that you have posted a note here. I was so relieved to find I was not as alone as I had thought. My family also has a hard time with the symptoms and one doctor told me it was all in my head. My boyfriend is supportive at times and at others he is frustrated and sais I should at least try a bit of a trigger food to see if it still has the same effect. I have learned it is not worth it. I don't care how much I enjoy apples or corn on the cob! Anyway stick to it, it is so worth it!

--------------------
If we don't change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.

#7101 - 04/24/03 03:19 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi all; I EXERCISE 3-4 times a week plus follow the ibs diet and my diet seams to stay about the same, I wonder why? Seriuosly!

#7105 - 04/24/03 03:53 PM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey mouse, are you new to the board? I havnt seen you around. Anyway, its a great feeling to feel as if your not alone, ist it? Thank Heavens to Betsy for this board

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7106 - 04/24/03 04:00 PM
SharonMello

Aha...another lurker!! Hi Mouse and a formal welcome to you. You're right about trigger foods--it's not worth it, but have you tried peeling the apple before you eat it? If I don't peel it, I get awful gas but if I do peel it, I have no reaction.

Sounds like you've hit some quacks too (doc wise).

Again, welcome, and don't be shy or hesitant about posting anything!

--------------------
Sharon

#7107 - 04/24/03 04:09 PM
SharonMello

Hi Lisa 37 - Yeh, we all know about comfort food, I think. I've been doing it for years--it's my drug of choice!

If you have specific comfort foods, maybe we can make them safe for you by substituting ingredients. It just depends. If you feel like it, post some that you can't eat and let's see what we can do.

You know, it's strange that you should start posting to the board now because we just got an order from Trinidad & Tobego WI last week. I hear life's a beach there! (My husband invented a locksmith tool and we sell it from home and also advertise it on our website.)

--------------------
Sharon

#7108 - 04/24/03 04:26 PM
SharonMello

Lisa 37 - you're almost as comical as Mags 2003!! LOL

The chewey chocolate cookies are really chocolatey (if that's a word!) Yes, I miss the chocolate bars too, esp Hershey's milk chocolate. I would just let it melt on my tongue and smoosh it around in my mouth before I swallowed it. What a flavor!!! LOL

I think that you did yourself in when you ate a WHOLE bag of marshmallows...I probably would've thrown up before my IBS attack! Don't think you should do that again.

Do you have Heather's books? There's great info in there on breaking the cycle and on this board too. I think it was in this string under poster: vilate45. Heather put a few links in there that you should read.

A lot of the chocolate cookies and cakes don't need any soy butter and use applesauce or pureed prunes (or for that matter pureed pears or almost any pureed fruit) as the fat substitute...usually equal amounts of fruit puree for the called-for oil/butter in a recipe. Heather's Peppermint Chocolate Cake is great (although I don't do the peppermint thing--I substitute the tbsp of peppermint extract with vanilla extract). I always have something chocolate in my freezer ready to be defrosted to eat. The chewy chocolate cookies can be eaten frozen because they really don't freeze that hard. They're extremely GREAT!

Keep posting Lisa. You'll get a lot of good information from these boards.

--------------------
Sharon

#7109 - 04/24/03 04:31 PM
SharonMello

Yolie - Yes, you should be able to eat stuff made with unsweetened cocoa powder--as long as it's not made from regular chocolate bars. They have the fat and unsweetened cocoa powder doesn't!

Try searching for chocolate stuff and you should get a ton of recipes. If there's something specific, don't hesitate to post a request.

Yes, I remember the Mummers Parade and freezing my fannie off out there in the streets one year and drinking booze to keep me warm! Never spent a lot of time in Philly because I lived in Jersey, so we had some great cheesesteak shops there. The other thing I remember loving a great deal was pineapple cheesecake. OMG. I would kill for a piece right now!! ROFL

Go easy on the chocolate stuff you make with the unsweetened cocoa to see if you do okay, but get stabilized first...then you go, girl!!

--------------------
Sharon

#7110 - 04/24/03 04:42 PM
SharonMello

Anita - thanks...I'll check out that website.

WW isn't "legal" or "illegal" anymore and their pep talks are very sensible and sensitive--depending on the leader. I
've been fortunate to have some really good leaders. I've stopped going to meetings because me and the "hub" have to cut some costs because we're on a limited income but I still keep my journal and cook the WW/IBS foods. I'll never stop because I don't ever want to be plugged up again, nor do I want to gain all the weight back that I struggled so hard to lose. Besides, I like the way I look (in clothes, that is) now!

I also was a skinny minnie when I was in school and even when I got married the first time. I've seen some pictures of me at my shower, and boy, was I thin! But age and body changes sure don't help. I think as long as we like ourselves, who gives a crap what other people think...right? They have no idea about our lives and the rocks and boulders we run into on the way.

We had one leader at WW that was about 70 years old and she had a pretty nice body. She used to tell the story to all the newbies that she lost 400 lbs on WW--the same 10 lbs a year for 40 years. Every year she would gain 10 lbs and then lose it only to gain it back the following year--usually around holiday time. The leaders don't make you feel bad about being fat--they tell you about the choices you have to make--either eat the deep fried fish and chips and gain weight or eat the grilled fish with rice and feel better about the choice you made. I think they decided that their scare tactics were bad for business! I think you're right about WW being in it for the money--corporate-wise, but the leaders really want to help because they've been there. Most of them show you pictures of themselves before they lost weight. And, you have to have lost weight and maintained keeping it off to be a leader. Of course, the money doesn't hurt either!

Keep up the good work, girlie!

--------------------
Sharon

#7114 - 04/24/03 05:52 PM
Zaftig1

This is now the 2nd person to say this. I honestly dont know why I've lost so much weight (and am still losing, actually), when others have not. The only thing I can think of is a) maybe there are other things I am doing/not doing in my lifestyle that help the loss, things I may not realize, and b) I do know that some propensity toward obesity is genetic. That is, some ppl are meant to be big, no matter what they do they cannot lose. I know I'm genetically meant to be thin, my bone structure and body frame is petite. One evidence of it is the weird fact that although I weigh 200 lbs., I'm a bra size 34DD! I was always very tiny on my upper body, and only slightly bigger on my lower body.

Other than that, I dont know what to tell you!

--------------------

#7115 - 04/24/03 05:58 PM
Zaftig1

Hi Sharon! Its good to hear WW doesnt do the scare stuff anymore. I think it affected my mom badly emotionally, and it trickled down to me so much that I turned against the whole concept of dieting.

I was cleaning out my mom's hoiuse before she sold it, and found her oooold WW weigh in cards from 1968. I was freaked at what it said on the bottom: "Having learned the message of freedom from Weight Watchers, I will now carry the message to the compulsive overeater who still suffers". Give me a break! Sounded like a religious cult to me. Glad to hear they have improved over the years though!

I'm also glad to hear they got rid of the concept of "legal" and "illegal". As a kid, I thought "legal" only applied to food (lol)...besides, telling ppl that certain foods are always bad is not good. It sets a person up for failure, because human nature being what it is, the more someone is told they can't have something, the more they crave it. Just like this past week, being Passover, I couldnt have bread, so what did I crave? Exactly...pizza and bagels. LOL!

--------------------

#7201 - 04/25/03 07:15 AM
yolie

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the advice with chocolate, I will try to find some!! I am going to try the peach glazed chicken recipe this weekend, it sounds delicious!! I even have my family hooked on some IBS recipes! I do miss cheesecake!!! I am watching everything I eat so I can at least be stable. Question.....are Nutri-Grain bars safe??? I am just taking it one day at a time.

Thank you so much for the support and God Bless!!!

#7202 - 04/25/03 07:20 AM
yolie

Hi Mouse,
I know exactly what you are going through. I was tested on for 3 months until I finally had a colonoscopy and was told I had IBS. A few months later I had an endoscopy done and was told I had GERD. So, I have to pretty much watch everything I eat. But it is really, really nice to know that I am not alone. I have had many attacks recently so I am trying to stay stress free and stick to my diet. But it is a little difficult to stay stress free with a husband, 2 boys and a full time job. But with God all things are possible!!!

#7206 - 04/25/03 07:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

Loc: West Coast, USA

WOW!!!!!!!! This is GREAT!!!!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7225 - 04/25/03 09:28 AM
Lisa37

Hi Sharon, It really is a small world.

Thanks for offering substitute recipes for my fave foods. I'm actually too lazy to actually do much cooking. On evenings after I cook for hubby/kids, supervised homework, parted a few fist fights, looked after my 6 cats, done usual household stuff, then organized stuff for the morning rush to get to work/ school; I just wanna curl up with something sweet (ready-made) and zombie out on some TV or a good book.

I'm so sick of rice soup (so easy though!), this weekend if I'm stable, I'm gonna try a few somethings with flavor(!) from the message boards.

Lisa.

#7237 - 04/25/03 09:50 AM
SharonMello

Anita - Well, I crave EVERYTHING! So, what should I do??? It's terrible--I love food even when I'm not hungry and I love Sour Cream'n' Onion Potato Chips. The only thing that keeps me from eating them is they're so dang salty, it burns my tongue. And if I don't put some in a dish and close the bag up, I'll eat the whole thing. This is rather compulsive behavior, I know, and it takes a lot of energy for me to dissuade it. I think about food MORE than I think about SEX!! LOL

The next time I see the shrink, I'm going to talk to him about this--and stress, don't even go there! I always have stress in my life (being married to someone of the opposite sex is a starter) and have thought about how it would be if there wasn't any stress. I don't know if that will ever happen--to me or anybody else!

Life goes on and so do I. I just grin and bear it and talk to myself in my head a lot. I don't know what else to do.

--------------------
Sharon

#7241 - 04/25/03 09:53 AM
SharonMello

Lisa - if you just baked something once or twice a month and cut it into serving pieces and freeze it, you wouldn't be cooking all the time.

And why can't your husband and kids eat IBS safe food so that you don't have to cook more than one meal??? Just don't tell them it's ibs safe. I do that w/my husband all the time and he doesn't know I don't use hamburger--although now he's catching on but he says the stuff is good. I know he doesn't like it when he either pushes his plate away from him or doesn't want to eat the leftovers! Yum, I get to eat them!

--------------------
Sharon

#7242 - 04/25/03 09:55 AM
SharonMello

Yoli - read the ingredients listed on the wrapper.

--------------------
Sharon

#7249 - 04/25/03 10:02 AM
yolie

I read them and they are not safe at all but I got a few suggestions on the board that I will try.

#7275 - 04/25/03 10:35 AM
Zaftig1

I've never been a big eater in terms of eating a lot at one sitting...but I did used to eat a bit here and there, but all day long (lol!) I find when I'm really depressed, I dont eat at all. But when I'm enxious, I nibble here and there instead of meals.

Having severe IBS got me over the love of food (now I am afraid of it ...its hard to love something when you know that it might trigger the IBS Attack from Hell. In fact when I go out I watch "normal" people eating food, and relishing it with gusto...and I feel like an alien from another planet.."Look how these earthlings enjoy food. We do not do this on the IBS Planet!"

You know what else I found though? When I started doing aerobic exercising, the more I did the less hungry I was. Maybe the combination of exercising and forcing myself to eat less sort of worked out, because I really cant eat a lot anymore.

--------------------

Edited by Zaftig1 (04/25/03 10:36 AM)

#7278 - 04/25/03 10:37 AM
SharonMello

I HATE EXERCISE!!!!!!

--------------------
Sharon

#7285 - 04/25/03 11:15 AM
yolie

I hate to excerise also. But I have found Pilates! It is really good and not strenous at all! And afterwards I feel great and have lots of energy!!

Yolie

#7307 - 04/25/03 12:54 PM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

yeah, doesnt just suck sometimes when people refuse to eat food that is actually gently ont heir system? Its so dumb! Like my mom for instance, she wont eat cake unless it uses eggs and oil. I asked her mom, cant we just make it with egg whites and applesauce? I dont even have to tell you what her answer always is....

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7310 - 04/25/03 01:10 PM
yolie

The past couple of days I have gotten better but it still hurts. I have been taking extra meds. I am worried I may need another endoscopy. We will see when I go the dr's, which is soon thank God!!
-----------------
Yolie

I hate Exercise too! new
      #7313 - 04/25/03 01:55 PM
Lana_Marie

I hate it too, but I have just recently gotten into bike riding. It is so wonderful. It is tough when I am doing it - but by the time I am done (I got for about 45 mins) I am ready to do it again the next day. I haven't really found an exercise that does this for me until now!

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#7314 - 04/25/03 02:00 PM
Lana_Marie

Why aren't they safe you guys?

Just wondering because I eat granola bars and nutrigrain bars almost everyday. In fact, alot of times, these are my breakfast before I start the day!

I haven't been getting "D" from them....maybe it's because everyones system is different, but all this time I thought they were safe for sure.

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#7316 - 04/25/03 02:05 PM
yolie

Nutri-Grain bars have whole wheat and milk porducts an I am lactose intolerant. So, they may be good for you, which is fabulous but not for me. So, I will go get some flavored rice cakes and be safe.

yolie

#7319 - 04/25/03 02:11 PM
Lana_Marie

Oh oh - Well I can't have any dairy either (as most of us here can't) so maybe that's a hidden trigger I never suspected. I may have to start keeping a journal to really narrow down my triggers. I do pretty well with knowing what they are, but I guess store bought foods should be looked at closely.

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#7325 - 04/25/03 02:48 PM
Zaftig1

Why?? I love it! I always did, but got away from it for a number of years. I used to run a lot when I was younger, and used to even use my dad's weights and his exercise bike (but now I have my own--YAY!)

Exercise not only extends your life, it reduces appetite, gives you energy, and (heh heh) GREATLY improves your sex life. Hey, I ought to know. I would not give it up again for the world!

BTW I tried telling my mother this too: the ONLY way to permanently keep off weight lost is to combine healthy moderate eating with daily exercise. Exercise also helps firm up muscles and body parts.

--------------------

Edited by Zaftig1 (04/25/03 02:50 PM)

Re: I hate Exercise too! new
      #7370 - 04/25/03 06:11 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Still looking for an exercise I like... too bad eating isn't exercise.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7395 - 04/25/03 10:13 PM
louise

why don't you try short walks to see if that kelps. I heard it is supposed to really help (walking that is).

Re: I hate Exercise too! new
      #7396 - 04/25/03 10:17 PM
louise

do you enjoy walking. that is a good exercise to get you started, try 10-154 min. at first til you get used to it, then whe you feel up to it you can increase it. Just be sure to wear proper footwaer and dress appropiate for it.

#7683 - 04/28/03 12:54 PM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

I have both books, and I still don't know exactly what ya'll mean by "IBS Guidelines". Could someone give these to me word for word. Also, when ya'll talk about exercising, what exactly do you do? Is walking, riding bikes, and yoga enough? Lets say for about an hour and half a day? If you don't mind, give me examples of what your exercise programs consist of. I'm sorry to be such a nuisance, I'm just still so new to all of this.

#7687 - 04/28/03 01:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

Loc: West Coast, USA

I try to move around as much as possible after meals esp. and just in general. I get about 40 min. of walking time in 5 days a week so far...and I do yoga occasionally with time permitting for up to an hour.

You are totaly NOT a pain...we love hearing from you! *hugs*

I hope someone else can help ya out with your IBS guidelines question!

Take care, and let me know how your exercise goes (an hour and a half is AMAZING! Do you get up after meals and walk around? That also might help).

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7690 - 04/28/03 01:43 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Walking, riding your bike and yoga is definitely enough! Especially if you do it for an hour and a half every day!!! Yikes. That's quite the workout schedule. For my workouts, it depends on the time of year. I do pilates 3-4 times per week year round, I typically do Yoga in the winter, I workout at the gym (lifting weights - 3 x per week except in the summer) and I play ultimate LOTS and LOTS and LOTS in the summer!

Have fun!

--------------------
Lorna

#7699 - 04/28/03 03:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - You're not a nuisance! The "IBS Guidelines" just means the general dietary guidelines, which you're probably familiar with from the books. Avoid trigger foods entirely (red meat, dairy, fried foods, coffee, etc.). Base meals and snacks on soluble fiber. Be very careful with insoluble fiber, and add it to your diet with caution (cook, peel, seed, dice, puree fruits/veggies, blend beans, don't have insoluble fiber on an empty stomach or without soluble fiber). That's all!

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 48823

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review