All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: this is wonderful... new
      #6982 - 04/23/03 03:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

thank you so much for sharing this with us!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My IBS Story (sent to Nutrition Action Newsletter) new
      #7043 - 04/24/03 07:09 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I can relate! One reason why I am so big (no pun intended--lol) on size acceptance and also anti-weight loss dieting, is because I saw what weight obsession did to my mother. She let it RULE her life. I swore I'd never do that.

I do think though that women who were always fat, even as kids, have the biggest problem in coming to terms and accepting their size. In that sense I'm lucky I was a skinny kid and only became fat as an adult.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#7047 - 04/24/03 07:13 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

Hi Sharon! You know, we have similar problems with the tummy area. I never hated any part of my body until I LOST the 100 lbs...because now I have this ugly bag of skin that hangs off my stomach where my big belly used to be. When I was heavier, the belly stuck out and the skin looked good. Now its all wrinkly and saggy where the belly used to be. The skin didnt snap back as I assumed it would. And like you, I have had a lot of stomach surgeries, so my dr won't let me do any abdominal exercises like ab crunches. Friends tell me surgery to fix the saggy skin is the only thing that will work.
For the record, I've had 3 Csections, 7 pregnancies and one hysterectomy. Thats a LOT of tummy skin stretching! I dont think my weight gain did as much damage as the pregnancies...I gained weight VERY slowly (took me 21 yrs to become as big as I was)...and when skin is stretched slowly I dont think it causes the damage a pregnancy does, because in pregnancy it stretches in 9 months rather than 21 years.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Re: My Story new
      #7050 - 04/24/03 07:17 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

Hi Sharon,
Hey, I remember Gimbel's!!! Then you must know about Geno's Steaks, that is definetely a no-no!!! I can honestly say that I feel relief knowing I have support. I had never heard of IBS before I was diagnosed. I am very blessed that my husband has been very suppportive! And yes there is a Hershey's and it is in Hershey, PA and when you go on a tour they GIVE you chocolate samples!!! I really only need it once a month to get me through it! But I have been having problems findinf chocolate powder. I have my husband on the lookout but I have found Lactaid ice cream, which I love!!!! Thanks for responding and I will let you know how it turns out when I try your chicke recipesm they sound fantastic!!!
Yolie

Edited by yolie (04/24/03 07:19 AM)

#7051 - 04/24/03 07:24 AM
yolie

It's like having an extended family, one that understands evetything about what is going on!! I told my husabnd about the mesage board and he is very glad I have other people to share this all with. He tries but cannot fully understand. He was very scared when all this started, especially when I passed out twice for no apparent reason!!!! Once was in the street nas I woke up with an EMT screaming at me, luckily my husband with me!! It has been a rocky road but now I have more support and am very thankful for that!!!!

#7053 - 04/24/03 07:42 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Yolie - No, I don't remember Geno's Steaks, but I DO REMEMBER Cheese Steak Hoagies...OMG...I love those things!!
You have to remember this was when I was in my early 20's--now I'm 58 so it was a long time ago.

Chocolate powder is really unsweetened cocoa, like Hershey's in the brown box. Every grocery store has it and it's really versatile to use. I even make a hot fudge sauce w/it and it's great!

It's nice to "talk" w/somebody from back home--there are quite a few from PA/NJ on here, too!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7054 - 04/24/03 07:49 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Anita - Wow! You sure have had a lot of work done on your tummy. I swear...if I have one more scar there we can all play tic-tac-toe on me!!! LOL

I've never been pregnant, but this sort of thing runs in my family--my mom was like this and so is my sis. I'm just hoping it'll get smaller when I lose that extra 20 lbs that's there. AT WW, they say it's like having four 5lb bags of sugar hanging on your waist!!! What a comparison.

Unlike you, I've always minded being overweight. I've felt people were always looking at me. Although I didn't think I looked that big when I looked in a mirror, it sure showed up in photos. Ugghhhh...I looked terrible with squirrel cheeks (you know..always looking full of food) and huge boobs! The funny thing is that even tho I've lost almost 45 lbs I still wear the same bra size. The only difference is that now my bra straps don't slide off my shoulders like they did when I was larger. Is that weird or what?

I guess the whole idea is to feel good about yourself no matter what weight you are. And you know all the advertising, etc., always depicts slim women and not large women. I blame all this on men...it's all their fault!!!! LOL

Keep in touch.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7057 - 04/24/03 08:37 AM
yolie

Cheesesteaks from Genos' are the absolute best!!I practically lived there when I was pregnant!!! Do you remember the festivals on Penn's Landing and the Mummers parade??? So, I can use Hershey's in the box to make stuf with???? I can have chocolate w/o pain?!?! That would be great! Thanks!!!!

Edited by yolie (04/24/03 08:43 AM)

IBS and weight loss? new
      #7058 - 04/24/03 08:58 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

So - following the IBS guidelines and excercising you lost weight? I have about 25 more pounds to lose (I've lost 22 with Weight Watchers). I've been following the IBS plan and counting my points using IBS friendly foods. I've been the same weight for 3 weeks (no loss or gain) and it's frustrating. I've been following Heather's plan for about 4 weeks. Do you think weight loss could be an effect for me?

Edited by wac (04/24/03 08:59 AM)

#7059 - 04/24/03 09:20 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

Hi, I too tend to cheat on my diet when I'm feeling good - I do so miss a lot of foods. Of course, I get "paid back" three-fold so hopefully I'll learn my lesson soon. My last really bad attack yesterday was so incredibly horrid that it haunts me and hopefully I won't cheat for a very long time - but food has always been a comfort to me and now I can't turn to my old favorites - sob! Just kidding...
Good luck with "staying straight". Lisa.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 49452

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review