Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Went to the GI Doc & this is what he said... Need some advice
      #67787 - 05/05/04 10:05 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey everyone,

Well, I went back to my GI Doc last week and this is what he said. He told me to take Bentyl 4 times a day everyday, not just as needed. He then said to stop taking Bentyl ONLY when I stopped experiencing symptoms (pain & Diarrhea). He said that this would stabilize my gut and I would at that point go into remission for a while. I told him that Bentyl makes me constipated as my diarrhea is not THAT bad. He told me that if I get constipated, I should not stop taking the Bentyl but to call him up and he would prescribe Zelnorm in its place temporarily.

Ok, so here's the deal. As I expected, I have not had a bowel movement in the 3 days since I started the Bentyl. I really don't want to take Zelnorm because for someone who is prone to D, I have heard this is not the best course of action.

Here are my questions...

1. Can Bentyl or any other anti-spasmotic stabilize you enough to where you can go into remission for a few months? I just have a feeling that as soon as I go off the BEntyl, the cramps and D are going to come right back.

2. Should I take Zelnorm to relieve me from the constipation caused by Zelnorm?

It just seems to good to be true. My GI, as sweet as he is, thinks that this is going to offer me temporary remission. I am very skeptical.

I don't know. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Dana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Went to the GI Doc & this is what he said... Need some advice new
      #67796 - 05/05/04 10:27 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'd read the new FDA warning about Zelnorm posted on this site before I took it. Acacia and Peppermint relieved my C much better than the Zelnorm and goodness knows it's much safer! I'd be skeptical too - prescribing one drug to counter another he insists you take! The Acacia Fiber might solve the entire problem and much less expensive! Good luck!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Went to the GI Doc & this is what he said... Need some advice new
      #67803 - 05/05/04 10:33 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I have to agree that taking one drug to counteract another sounds a little crazy! Also, I haven't heard of remission unless people get pregnant or something like that but who know every case is different (there is part of the problem!). My personal experience with GIs has been poor so I would say how much do you trust your dr.? Often times we knkow better than the GIs, at least that's what I've found. Good Luck and keep us posted!

I think this is pretty bad advice... new
      #67906 - 05/05/04 02:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

there's no reason for Bentyl to put you into remission. No drug can do that - you have to pretty much take preventive steps to manage IBS everyday, because nothing is going to permanently, physically change the nervous system of your gut. Bentyl is only effective for 4-6 hours, then it wears off completely. If it stabilizes you, you will be more likely to remain stable...but a trigger (from diet, stress, the weather, whatever) could then set you right back off again.

And prescribing Zelnorm to counter-act the Bentyl is a horrible idea. First of all, this is a drug you have to take every single day, not just as needed. Second of all, it should NEVER, EVER be prescribed to someone who is prone to diarrhea. Good Lord, the FDA just issued a new warning about this whole issue, and your doc should be aware of it.

Personally, I'd steer totally clear of the Zelnorm, and I'd see if I can taper off the Bentyl till I'm just taking them as needed, and keeping myself stable with diet, a soluble fiber supplement, and things like the peppermint caps and/or herbal teas. Much safer, and much more likely to work, without causing you side effects that require other drugs to counter-act.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 980 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review