All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
More FOOD Questions..
      #67193 - 05/03/04 09:24 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi.. its me again.. the very inquisitive one.. I was wondering how people do with bread crumbs.. I have ibs-d, and have almost always been able to tolerate chicken. I usually marinade the chicken breasts in a garlic and herb seasoning and then add just regular canned bread crumbs, to give it extra flavor and a crispier texture. I then bake them, so they remain relatively low fat. I was just wondering if this is an ibs safe thing to do.

It is so hard to pinpoint what is causing the diarrhea, and today I made them for dinner again and I had an attack about two hours after eating them. However, I also had about three attacks earlier in the day due to a lunch that I SHOULD NOT HAVE ate, but did anyways. I know i brought it on myself.. but I'm wondering if it could have been the left over lunch or if perhaps i've been jaded and bread crumbs are a big no no?!??!?!?!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

breadcrumbs & a recipe! new
      #67200 - 05/04/04 12:07 AM
FennelHead

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: S. California

i don't know if you're wheat intolerant, (i just found out i soooo am!), but if you ARE, a really good substitute is Panko (pan-koe). i'm not sure i'm spelling it right, but it's Japanese bread crumbs and they're made of rice flour. they're absolutely fantastic and super crispy!

i'm noooot sure what you guys can handle, but a really good thing i used to do w/ breaded chicken is as follows:

marinate chicken strips in that Newman's oil & vinegar salad dressing for 30 minutes, then smush on some blue cheese crumbles and coat in panko then panfry in a tiny bit of olive oil. i'm sure if a good tummy base of some plain rice or baked potato is eaten first it could maybe be tolerated, and i absolutely love it.

anyway, good luck w/ the breadcrumbs, whatever you do!

--------------------
julia

Re: More FOOD Questions.. new
      #67204 - 05/04/04 03:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Double check your breadcrumbs, because a lot of them have dairy. I've found that the store brand didn't so I use them, or I make my own.

But, it could have been the tail end of that lunch hitting you.

i agree with Mags new
      #67212 - 05/04/04 05:32 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

if you really stop to think about it (which i never did 'til i started this diet!), it makes sense that after having an attack or series of attacks in the morning your intestines are going to be more sensitive. whether you're C or D, that's a lot of trauma on the system. so then, if you put more food in, especially if it's questionable, it's possible you're going to feel it. in fact, it's possible you may trigger another attack.

make sure you're getting plenty of your soluble fiber, which helps cushion everything and fill the colon. that will help. meanwhile, check those breadcrumbs for hidden triggers. i wouldn't be surprised if some of them had MSG (monosodium gluconate)in them, since that's a really popular seasoning. it also could have just been the quantity of food or even a cold beverage you drank with your meal or even after it! what fun it is to track down the culprit, eh?

--------------------

Re: i agree with Mags new
      #67240 - 05/04/04 07:27 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

haha no, I definitly don't find it fun at all! its almost impossible to tell what cause what and when!

--------------------

Re: i agree with Mags new
      #67241 - 05/04/04 07:30 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i agree. when i've narrowed it down to a few culprits, sometimes i just try eliminating something for a day or two and then putting it back in to see what happens!

i don't know about you, but i find it especially difficult because things like the weather and my sleep habits can impact my IBS. so something that's usually ok ends up looking like the trigger! i've learned that there are some things i can eat only when i'm super-stable and i need to limit them when i'm tired or when it's hot out.

SO MUCH FUN! (*rolls eyes*)

--------------------

Spice Pack? new
      #67336 - 05/04/04 10:38 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi Spicey,

I can't eat most of those prepared spice packets (Schilling, Lowry's, etc.). I think it might be the MSG.:( Is your garlic and herb seasoning made by you or someone else?

sperry_twiggins

Re: Spice Pack? new
      #67346 - 05/04/04 11:08 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

it is made by someone else, its bottled seasoning from mccormick.

--------------------

Panko is fabulous! Really good suggestion, thanks! -nt- new
      #67406 - 05/04/04 12:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Check the Panko ingredients. Some brands are wheat, not rice. I learned the hard way. -nt- new
      #67470 - 05/04/04 02:56 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 316 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1092

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review