All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
How do you people keep gaining weight?
      #64953 - 04/26/04 07:11 PM
itsnotfair123

Reged: 04/23/04

Anyone can you please tell me how you can gain weight with IBS? I hear about how all of these people gain with IBS and I keep losing or maintaining my weight. That's why I'm having to eat trigger foods... Just to get fat so I'll gain weight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you people keep gaining weight? new
      #64954 - 04/26/04 07:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,
I too have been losing weight with IBS, but I had a bit to lose so it's ok
I wouldn't suggest eating trigger foods to help you gain weight, because if they cause D attacks you're likely to just end up actually losing because nothing is getting properly absorbed.
I know a lot of people can gain weight on this diet because once they get stable, their tummies feel much better and they can eat more and there are lots of good recipes here that are fairly high in calories.
Granted, they're not as high in fat, but if you're getting a lot of calories that should still do the trick. Maybe go through the desserts on the site and pick out some you think look good and try those?
Good luck!
Kelly

#64956 - 04/26/04 07:25 PM
itsnotfair123

Thanks. I wish I could do what everyone is saying but my parents and doctors won't let me have low fat foods and it kills my stomach.

#64958 - 04/26/04 07:28 PM
Vicam

Why won't your parents and doctors let you have low fat foods? And what do you mean when you say it kills your stomach? The low-fat or the high-fat foods?

Alot of the things you can make yourself, and they don't really need to have any special low-fat ingredients. I just recently made some chewy chocolate cookies and they are great, they have no fat, but they do have calories! Here's the recipe if you'd like: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=61564&page=&view=&sb=5&o=

What about eating foods that are high in good fats? Like salmon, almonds, other nuts, things like that? I find them pretty easy to tolerate with a good soluble fiber base, and that way you're getting fat as well...

#64961 - 04/26/04 07:31 PM
itsnotfair123

The high-fat foods hurt my stomach. The doctors are just so deperate for me to gain weight and have fat in my diet. They say fat is only what will make me gain weight but that's not true!!!!! My parents are just doing what the doctor says. And the say I have to gain weight fast. Almonds I eat at least 20 of a day for fat. I also like Sushi.

#64994 - 04/27/04 05:43 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

how underweight are you? are your doctors concerned you have an eating disorder? have you shown them Heather's book? you can gain weight without eating trigger foods. no doctor should be recommending high fat foods for weight gain, nor should a doctor be recommending GI triggers to an IBS patient. you have been officially diagnosed with IBS, right? have you had a colonoscopy and stool test and bloodwork done?

you can go to the health food store and get a soy protein powder that can be mixed it in smoothies and other drinks. those have a nice amount of calories and no dairy. if you drink one of those in the morning and one in the afternoon, you will be adding a lot of calories safely. add soy milk and/or yogurt and fresh or canned fruit. (i make it even more safe by adding in my acacia) you can snack on safe cereals, as well. have a soy yogurt as a little snack. aim for 5 small mini-meals a day with plenty of protein.

gaining weight is simple math, just as losing weight is. you need to eat more foods that are safe to raise the amount of calories you are taking in. can your doctor recommend a dietician? (if so, make sure you take Heather's books to the appointment) it's inexcusible for a doctor to be forcing anyone to eat foods that are making them sick, but i feel like there must be more to the story here...

how old are you, by the way?

--------------------

#65304 - 04/27/04 02:18 PM
itsnotfair123

I'm not going to list my age, but I am EXTREMELY underweight (40 or 30 lbs) and they keep bringing up Anorexia Nervosa, which I don't have. Today my parents said that they are going to buy me glazed Donuts because I used to like them... HELLO? VERY BAAAD TRIGGER FOOD! I'm just going to have to deal with the pain because my parents and the doctors don't understand that IT'S ABOUT CALORIES NOT FAT! I don't want pain anymore...

#65309 - 04/27/04 02:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hope you read Jen's post - lots of important stuff there!

Please get your parents to either read Heather's book or log on here. We'd be glad to answer ANY questions they have and I'm sure it could put their minds at rest. And you Mum could have a look at our recipe board and Index to see we really are quite food orientated!

Why not print out some safe, but high cal recipes and ask your Mum to make them with you (good bonding exercise! ). Heather's Butternut Squash sauce with pasta is actually pretty high cal with the pasta and soy milk. And it's soooo yummy and nice to your tummy! And all the sweet stuff would be good. Anti-Depressant Brownies are awfully high-cal .

You need to keep some soluble fibre in your tummy at all times with IBS really. Tell your parents this. Get them to hassle you to eat a bread roll, bowl of noodles, sandwich, pasta, etc... every 2-3 hours and you'll be eating so many calories. They must realise this! And it'll give them something to do so they feel like they can help!

Hope to hear from your parents! What's your name btw?

Parental worry new
      #65311 - 04/27/04 02:30 PM
Linz

PS. If your parents don't feel like logging onto a public board, then they could email me. I went through hell trying to work out how to help myself with IBS (answer = Heather!) and I'd do anything to help your situation with your parents.

#65314 - 04/27/04 02:35 PM
itsnotfair123

That's the problem... I'm not really supposed to be talking to you guys I don't think. And even if I was, if they figured out that I was complaining to you and asking you for help, wouldn't they get mad at me?

#65320 - 04/27/04 02:46 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Not if they realized your really looking hard for help! I feel bad for you! Have you told them about this board? What about Heathers books? Do they know that you have been looking into other things that can help you? Wouldn't your parents be happy that your trying to get better and be pleased that you found something that might help?

How long have you had IBS? Are you sure you have IBS??? I know that you really want to gain weight! I know that this can be done on this diet!

You need to be eating pasta, breads, smoothies with protien powder! I think you need to show your parents this board and have them get Heathers book! Don't be afraid. If they want you to get better I'm sure they would be willing to take a look at this!

Everyone on this board is helpful and kind! I sure hope you will tell your parents about this board!

Good luck and please tell them about this! I don't know your parents...but I know I woldn't be mad at my kids for looking into getting better!!!

--------------------

#65325 - 04/27/04 02:50 PM
Linz

Tell them you've been doing research into your condition. This site has the best info on IBS anywhere. Please get them to get and read Heather's books or log on or give me an email. You're parents obviously love you, so I hope they wouldn't be mad about you trying to get help! It shows intiative!

#65326 - 04/27/04 02:50 PM
Vicam

I would hope they wouldn't get mad at you! They should understand that you're trying to help yourself get better...if you were anorexic I don't think it's very likely you'd be so interested in finding IBS-safe ways to help you gain weight

It can be tough with parents, especially if they're the cooks and the grocery buyers, but hopefully they can help you out.

Have you ever been tested for Celiac? Because that can cause a lot of weight loss in some people and make it very difficult to gain it back, and a lot of the symptoms are similar to IBS. Just a thought...

Hang in there!

#65328 - 04/27/04 02:54 PM
itsnotfair123

Thank you.

My parents think that I don't want to get better, but I do! I have been diagnosed that FOR SURE I have IBS... Just no doctor has ever seen such as extreme case of one. That's why they say that I might also have an eating disorder... AND I DON'T! GOSH!

I have been resisting and arguing with my parents because I don't like the decisions they are making, because those foods I don't like, don't want, or just plain hurt BAD. But they don't care because I have to gain weight.

I just wish I could prove to them that it's about calories, and not fat. I know I need to gain weight, and I'm trying really hard. I just don't like their way of doing it with the trigger foods. I want to gain weight one the foods I like, and are okay for my stomach. If only they could just understand that...

I hope they don't get mad at me when I show them this board...

#65329 - 04/27/04 02:55 PM
itsnotfair123

Yes, I've been tested for everything. I only have IBS, luckily.

Mad parents! new
      #65330 - 04/27/04 02:56 PM
Linz

They'll be fine. This place is cool. We're all normal people (well, normal as in kinda crazy!, but who isn't?) that've got together to help each other with our IBS under the loving wing of Heather (sorry Heather, don't mean to make you sound like a chicken! ).

Re: Mad parents! new
      #65331 - 04/27/04 02:58 PM
itsnotfair123

Oh thank you everyone so much! I REALLY hope that once I show them, they'll change their minds... But it's also up to that dumb doctor!

Doctors and mad parents! new
      #65332 - 04/27/04 03:01 PM
Linz

You just wait till your parents get mad with the doctor for giving them and you dud advice! Parents can get things done so much easier! My Dad got mad with my old doctors and made them listen to me so I was diagnosed and I was 20 at the time!

NO!!!! It's up to you! new
      #65333 - 04/27/04 03:05 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Ok...one thing you need to know is that Doc's don't know everything! There are some really DUMB Dr's out there!!!!! I bet your parents will be happy to see these boards! Then they will know that you want to get better! You can show them from these boards that it doesn't have to be fat! IT can be calories! I bet you can get your mom on the recipe board and she can find some great recipes! I just know they will be happy to see that your trying!

Go to your library and check out Heathers books!!! Then let your parents look at them! I bet they will go and buy them!

Don't wait! Show the boards to them tonight! And then go get the first years book and the cook book! You'll love the breads and desserts!! And everything else!!!!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

--------------------

Re: NO!!!! It's up to you! new
      #65336 - 04/27/04 03:22 PM
itsnotfair123

I just showed my mom this page.

She said that it doesn't matter what you guys say because I'm so underweight that I'm close to going to the hospital. She also kept going on about fat.

She said I have to eat,eat,eat and that each "trigger" food is different for everyone.

I told her I know my trigger foods!

My mom isn't happy that I've been talking to you because you don't understand how underweight I am...Which is 40 pounds underweight.

My mom also doesn't care about trigger foods.

Your parents new
      #65338 - 04/27/04 03:30 PM
Linz

Hmmm... I get what your Mum's saying, but stabilising your IBS will make gaining weight so much easier.

There've been a few people on here before who've got seriously underweight...sometimes cos they scared of what food will do to them and so avoid it all. Is this like you?

You really can put on loads of weight and still eat IBS safe foods. Eating frequently is the key - and this is something that will help your IBS as I mentioned before. It's why so many of us on here need to LOSE weight - we've put loads on with this diet. Oops . Since getting IBS, I've GAINED 20 pounds. And that's without trying!

With trigger foods, it's true that not everyone has the same triggers. HOWEVER, the exceptions are just people who are lucky enough to tolerate some triggers, like maybe a little dairy. Heather has done loads of research into this. It's NOT just a fad-like diet.

Can you ask you Mum to log on to the board, so we can chat? You could set up a username for her so she doesn't have to bother with all that.

Heather, your advice might be good here - nt new
      #65342 - 04/27/04 03:37 PM
Linz

I would absolutely agree with everything everyone else has said here... new
      #65362 - 04/27/04 04:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Your parents (and doctor) need to be aware of, and understand, the dietary restrictions of IBS. Have your parents log on to this site and read through the IBS diet section. Get the book The First Year: IBS (order from this site or get a copy at your library) and have your parents read it, then take it to your doctor and show him/her the dietary chapter. Show them the dietary articles in the IBS research library here on the boards, that prove fats are a tremendous trigger for IBS.

It is impossible to gain weight by eating foods that make you physically ill. While your parents cannot force feed you, they can cause you such tremendous mental distress about this issue that you end up in even worse health, and they need to realize this. Simply putting you in a position where you are constantly arguing with them about what you can and cannot eat is surely not helping you - can they log on to this message board and see these posts?

There is also some info in the diet FAQ on gaining weight here Weight Gain

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#65377 - 04/27/04 04:44 PM
jenX

have you asked them for certain foods? you need to take some control here. the reason i asked how old you are is because if you are over 18 then you can make your own decisions. at this point, i'm assuming you're younger than 18, especially if they're talking about putting you into the hospital.

ok, so let's make a plan! you give them a list of foods that you want and that you will eat and ask them to buy them for you. make a contract with them that you will eat a certain number of calories a day, but on your terms food-choice wise. see if they'll agree with that. i am assuming if they're all up in arms about Anorexia then your doctor has told your parents how many calories you should be taking in. make a meal plan that is IBS safe and will get you up to that many calories.

there is soy ice cream. if they want you to have donuts, tell them you'll have soy ice cream in single serving amounts (too much is still too high in fat) instead. or you can eat sorbet. i love sorbet with a tiny bit of Hershey's chocolate sauce drizzled on top! make a banana split!

tell them you want a loaf of French bread in the house at all times and some jam. snack on that.

tell them you'll have some pasta noodles with some sauce (get a recipe off the recipe boards)

i have a great recipe for pumpkin cheesecake. ask someone to make that for you.

how about asking for some jelly beans and some jolly ranchers or some lifesavers? granted, sugar ain't great for you, but it's calories and may appease your parents that you're not just refusing to eat at all.

there are tons of recipes on the boards. go surf over there and find stuff that you can eat....

i mentioned soy powders to make shakes/smoothies... make sure they don't have lactose, but those have calories. add bananas and other fruits to up the calories. toss a little honey in for some extra calories and for a little more energy.

if you go to them calmly with a plan, maybe they'll listen?? i'll be blunt: 30-40 pounds underweight is a considerable amount of weight to have lost. i do not blame them at all for thinking that you have eating issues. hopefully you're being honest with us and with them and with yourself and it's "just" the IBS that's causing a problem. if so, you need to fight the war they've started by getting as much control as you can by trying to plan your own meals and reaching the daily calorie goal they have set for you. tell them you know they are acting out of love and concern, but you are acting out of concern, too- concern that you'll loose even more weight by being sick from foods that you believe are harmful to you, concern that you're hurting your parents by making them worry, concern that you are too thin! have you asked if you can see a dietician to help you plan meals? a dietician may be able to look over Heather's plan and help you get your calories in a safe manner...

--------------------

#65416 - 04/27/04 06:22 PM
itsnotfair123

Thank you. I wish my parents would listen to you and not the stupid doctor! I have to get 1800 calories a day all of a sudden and my parents are obsessed with the foods with fat. Maybe we can make up a menu together. I'll eat every 2 hours (which is what I do now.) I like these foods, but maybe you have even more suggestions.
• Potato and Onion Pierogies (VERY GOOD FOR ME/MY FAVORITE DINNER FOOD WITH BROCCOLI)
• White Rice
• Frozen Dinners (like chicken chow mein and penne with tomato sauce)
• Potatoes
• Rice Krispies
• Special K
• Corn Flakes
• Snapple a Day
• Broccoli
• Mushrooms
• Peppridge Farm Plain Bagels
• Some Whole Wheat Bread
• White Bread
• Vegetarian Bologna
• Vegetarian Meatballs
• Rice Frozen Dinner thing with vegetables from food emporium
• Almonds
• Carrots
• Rice Cakes
• Sushi
• Cucumber
• Shrimp Cocktail
• WOW chips
• Pretzels
• Spinach
• Dried Mango
• Dried Apricot
• Dried Peach
• Dates(Sort of)
• Mango and Peach Applesauce
• Peanuts
• Cashew Nuts
• Macadamia Nuts
• Pepita Nuts
• Sunflower Seeds
• Grapes
• Artichokes
• Peeled Apple
• Tangarine
• Ginger
• Pasta
• Beets
• Dark Red Kidney Beans
• Turkey
• Veggie Burger
• Crackers
• Chicken and Vegetable Dumplings
• Oat Bar
• Cream of Wheat w/ water (kinda heavy)
• Cream of Rice (Might hurt me less than cream of wheat and rice is good for me I'd like to try it)
• Dried Apples
• Tuna
• Minestrone soup
• Immitation Crab Meat
• Jell-O
• Swedish Fish
• Marshmallows
• Jelly Beans
• Pear
• Watermelon
• Soy Pudding
• Raw Fish
Also do you have any recipes for pasta sauce?

#65424 - 04/27/04 07:01 PM
Linz

This sounds positive! Just a few things I saw in there and thought uh-oh about...

• Broccoli
• Spinach
• Dried Mango
• Dried Apricot
• Dried Peach
• Dates(Sort of)
• Beets
• Dark Red Kidney Beans
• Some Whole Wheat Bread

Ie. the fruit/veg and insoluble fibre. Are you IBS-C? Even if you are, then you need to be careful with insoluble fibre - make sure its well cooked and eat it after soluble fibre, or preferably in a soup or smoothie.

Some ideas of my own...
• ADBs (very yummy and so easy to make).
• Tuna rolls made with low-fat mayo.
• Avocado (relatively high in fat for a veggie but very safe and a great way to add calories to sandwiches/rolls or as a snack).
• Butternut squash pasta sauce.
• Soy milkshakes.
• Protein protein to put in soy milk.
• Soy cheese.

Good luck. Hope we can help.

#65478 - 04/28/04 05:33 AM
jenX

good lord, that's a great range of foods! why are these people freakin'?????

i'm at work and while i CAN goof off quite a bit at work, i think i'd serve you and my job better if i helped you with this after work. i'll catch ya later.

--------------------

#65533 - 04/28/04 08:09 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oooh, you may want to switch from WOW chips to baked chips. Fake fat is no friend to the IBS colon!

Have you looked at all the recipes on the recipe board? Could you find some of the quick bread recipes you could make on your own or with your parents? Also, have you tried the amazake rice drinks? www.amazake.net 400 calories per bottle and pretty yummy!

Oooh, as for pasta sauces, I just get organic ones with low fat. Or my husband just throws in a bunch of yummy things like Italian tuna and capers with a tiny bit of olive oil with the pasta....

--AC

#65641 - 04/28/04 11:24 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Hi itsnotfair,
I am sorry you have to go through this. I read your post yesterday but felt too sick to sit up at the computer and respond, but today, even though I still feel awful, I told myself that I have to respond because about a month ago, I was kind of in your position. I was not forty pounds underweight, but, I was being forced to eat foods that hurt me. Naturally I just started to hate food (how can you learn to like something that hurts you?) It was an abusive relationship,let's put it that way. Anyhow, after all of the tests were negative, the GI doctor had already had me taking benefiber but just told my parents that I could eat whatever I wanted and that lots of kids my age have lots of stress. My parents interpreted that as "force feed her because food is not what is causing the pain." My parents just thought that I was being irrational, but there was a method to my madness...just nobody would believe me. Okay, I'm rambling. So, my parents would sit me at the table and not let me leave until I finished a whole big plate of something I knew would hurt me. And when I just went to eat the bread, they got mad at me and said it had no vitamins in it and I shouldn't waste room in my stomach with the bread. Now, you might look at this like they're mean, but they saw their daughter "wasting away" before them ( I'm not underweight but have lost at least 30 pounds) and they were just scared. The old school way to fatten someone up is to force feed 'em.
OK, so, there's a point to my post..sorry for the rambling. When I hit just about rock bottom when my parents were forcing me to eat stuff and I didn't have a choice, it was just awful. So I just called them at work and told them "I'm crazy. I need to go to a psychiatrist or psychologist. I mean I must be crazy." To my surprise, my mom was like "no, you aren't crazy." So, here's my thought. Are you going to a psychiatrist/therapist right now? If you aren't, ask to go to one. It's kind of like a reverse psychology thing on your parents. Your parents will think that you are finally giving in and realizing that you are anorexic (i know you aren't) so they'll probably bring you to one. Do you have a printer at home? Well, once you go to the psychiatrist, I'm sure that they'll see you alone for at least part of the session or most of it...maybe all of it. So, print out a bunch of the info from Heather's site (trigger foods, how you can gain weight, anything that you think would help prove your point). Then bring that to the psychiatrist/therapist appt. In my experience, they want to make sure that they aren't overlooking any physical problem. So, show them the info and explain them the difficulty you are having. Tell them that you know it may seem crazy, but you have started to dislike food so much because it hurts. Tell them if you start to eat foods that "break the cycle" you will be more stabilized, you won't dread eating, your stomach won't be empty as much, and you'll have fewer attacks. I'm sure they'd be glad to help work this out for you. So anyhow, I found the site and told my parents about it. Anyhow, now I am on the mend. I have my own shelf in the pantry for safety foods and my parents now accept my whole eating situation. But the main thing that I care about is that I get to eat my safe foods. It doesn't matter what they think...as long as they don't force you to do something that hurts. Because if someone doesn't experience something like this, they have no idea. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It may take some strategy to get there but you'll get there! Good luck and I'm sorry you have to go through this. you can email me if you have any questions!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Edited by tarabara04 (04/28/04 11:41 AM)

#65646 - 04/28/04 11:29 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Tara, that is a GREAT post! Good for you!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Tara, that was a great post.nt new
      #65651 - 04/28/04 11:37 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

Tara new
      #65660 - 04/28/04 11:47 AM
jenX

you're the sweetest kid in the world and your post made me cry.

just wanted to send you: SMOOCHES! and (((hugs))). hope you're feeling a little better today, dearie.

--------------------

Tara, you're a sweetheart! Love ya loads - nt new
      #65673 - 04/28/04 12:20 PM
Linz

Re: itsnotfair123 - how are you holding up? new
      #66017 - 04/29/04 03:01 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - just wondering how you're making out. Any success with your mom yet? Have you been able to find something to eat? How are you feeling?

Just wanted to check on ya.....

Ditto! I'm worrying about ya! - nt new
      #66029 - 04/29/04 03:31 PM
Linz

Re: Tara/Jenx new
      #66031 - 04/29/04 03:40 PM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Ditto! Wow!
Daisy

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

#66062 - 04/29/04 04:40 PM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I have had IBS D since I was 22 and I am now 40. This past fall I had it kick in again pretty badly. I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks and I only weighed 110 to begin with. I have always been small so losing weight is the last thing I want. After seeing a GI dr. and getting tests run just to be sure, it resulted in the same old IBS D. My dr admitted to not knowing a lot about what to eat and referred me to a nutritionist. I can't eat dairy and I have a little trouble with wheat. Some of the things on your list would literally kill my stomach. I can't eat "roughage" at all! I am trying to eat rice based products to avoid the wheat and see if I feel better. It actually has helped. I eat rice bread, cream of rice cereal and I mix rice protein powder and rice milk in this to get those extra protein and calcium I need. The nutritionist said it would be a slow process for me to gain, but the protein was really important. It is frustrating, b/c I get on the scales hoping to see my weight go up, but I just maintain. I try not to get stressed b/c that only makes the IBS worse. Everyone on this site that has given me advice say the same things my nutritionist has said. People who have never suffered like us seem to always want to push trigger foods at you. I have a cousin who kept thinking I just didn't want to eat! He kept saying I should be eating lots of burgers and shakes, etc. I said I will lose weight if I eat stuff like that, not gain!!!! Hang in there. Really try to get your parents to get on this site or at least get a nutritionist's advice. Trigger foods will just keep making it worse and you will keep losing. Good luck. I get down about it too, but you have to keep positive and take it one step at a time.

that's exactly what i was about to post! where are you? how are you? new
      #66065 - 04/29/04 04:48 PM
jenX

let me know if you still want me to help you with coming up with ideas of foods you can eat that are more high-cal.

hope you're ok.

sorry i didn't get to the boards 'til just now, but i've been sick today myself.

--------------------

#66066 - 04/29/04 04:49 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I lost a pile of weight in the beginning when the symptoms really kicked in, about 15-20 pounds in about three weeks through both not being able to eat and not keeping up weight training at the gym. It was scary for a while, but as I eventually figured out what I could/couldn't eat, it bottomed out and then started to rise again. I've been pretty dedicated to my diet so far and have gained some (about 10 lbs) of the weight back in the last number of years. As long as you have a diet that helps you out, you don't really have to worry about excess loss, although it usually does take some time to figure out what you can/can't eat.

I was wondering too...I've been worrying new
      #66103 - 04/29/04 05:54 PM
tarabara04

Are you okay? I've been on pins and needles all day. Please say you're okay. Okay. Can I tell you something. When you get really frustrated...think of this. Think that you've already been through so much that you would have been wasting your time if you don't conquer this situation. All of those past days you've been in misery or felt alone...Just realize one thing that I found when i was reading a meditation book..some monk said that in his meditation he found that God put people on Earth so he would have people to love. And I just realized. Wow. I'm here for a reason and even if I have to go through this it'll help people in the future. See....hope this helps. HOpe you're okay. Really...I hope you're okay...honestly

--------------------

Oh no..I gave you my cold! new
      #66105 - 04/29/04 05:57 PM
tarabara04

Sorry Jen! I hope you feel better! I'm sending you feel-better power, okay?
Rest!!!!!!!!!! If ya can.
Okay?
Hope you feel better and your meds r workin!

--------------------

you're funny, TB! new
      #66182 - 04/30/04 05:34 AM
jenX

i didn't have your cold! i was having an attack of the fibro variety.

also (darn it!) had my first bad day IBSwise in a long time! this time it was C not D (unusual!). i bet it's that new medication. i'm going to go look up the side effects in a few....

hope you're feeling better!!!

--------------------

jrs - nice pic!! -nt- new
      #66286 - 04/30/04 09:01 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I don't have ibs. I was misdiagnosed new
      #106368 - 09/16/04 07:19 PM
itsnotfair123

hey! I was misdiagnosed. I really have celiac disease or a gluten and wheat intolerance. That's why i couldn't gain weight... But i went off of the gluten and my stomach feels sooo much better! I gained 24 pounds in 2 months. You guys should try going off of gluten and wheat (like people w/ celiac disease. You could have been misdiagnosed, too)Even if not, it's a healthy, non-fattening (i know ppl w/ ibs can't have fatty foods) and i have lacotse-tolerace, too because of it. But it is a vveerrry fresh and healthy diet. Thanks for all of everyone's support!

Re: I don't have ibs. I was misdiagnosed new
      #106419 - 09/17/04 06:21 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

hey! I was misdiagnosed. I really have celiac disease or a gluten and wheat intolerance. That's why i couldn't gain weight... But i went off of the gluten and my stomach feels sooo much better! I gained 24 pounds in 2 months. You guys should try going off of gluten and wheat (like people w/ celiac disease. You could have been misdiagnosed, too)Even if not, it's a healthy, non-fattening (i know ppl w/ ibs can't have fatty foods) and i have lacotse-tolerace, too because of it. But it is a vveerrry fresh and healthy diet. Thanks for all of everyone's support!

Good for you!! There are several people here with both IBS and celiac, so if you have any questions about how to eat with celiac, they can probably give you some hints.

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review