All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
surgery or new diet? What the prob??
      #62150 - 04/17/04 11:09 AM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

On April 5th, I had surgery on my left ovary. Right before my surgery, I was taken off wheat, eggs, corn, beans, bananas and a few other foods due to food allergies/sensitivities. I am now eating more rice, oatmeal and spelt. Anyway, I was doing ok with the new way of eating before the surgery. Since the surgery, I have had bouts of horrible D and some C as well. I have been on liquid diets off and on during recovery because it seems if I eat anything except rice, I get D. Is is the surgery or the diet? My diet is spelt, oatmeal, rice, chicken, mango, soy yogurt, soy milk, applesauce, and chicken broth. That's been about it. Help!
Leah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: surgery or new diet? Heather can you help? -nt- new
      #62279 - 04/18/04 07:07 AM
Leah

Re: surgery or new diet? What the prob?? new
      #62334 - 04/18/04 01:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Leah - What does your doc say about this? The fact that things got worse after the surgery, and haven't improved, has me worried. Unless you introduced a new food after surgery that you haven't had before, I don't know why your diet would now suddenly cause problems. The only things I can see that may be bothering you are the oatmeal and spelt (you may have zero tolerance for insoluble fiber right now). Is the chicken broth fat free? Is the chicken just skinless white meat? Were you eating soy before the surgery?

It's just a red flag that you were okay with these foods before the surgery, and now you're not. You might go to just the white rice for a few days, since that's helping and not hurting you. But do check in with your doc. Oh- do they have you on antibiotics? Those can cause diarrhea - probiotics can help stop that.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: surgery or new diet? What's the prob?? new
      #62379 - 04/18/04 07:12 PM
Leah

Heather,
Thanks for the response. The doctor isn't sure why I am having problems. She said it may be due to stress on the body and doing too much too soon. I agree with you that I may just have zero tolerance for fiber like spelt and oatmeal. I agree that I need to stick with rice for a while. What about quinoa? I have been eating/drinking soy for about a year and I drank some yesterday and was ok. Can uterine cramping cause IBS to be worse? I notice that when I am in pain due to the surgery, my bowel gets unstable and this is when the diarrhea gets worse. Is this common? Also, do you think it would be helpful to increase my Fibercon intake or switch to Metamucil? Thanks a bunch for your help!!
Leah

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 200 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review