All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight gain - fiber?
      #61032 - 04/14/04 09:42 AM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

Since I have started adding more fiber to my diet, and following the IBS diet, I have gained a couple pounds. I don't feel that it is a big deal, but I was wondering if it is possible to add a couple pounds just from eating more fiber and adding the bulk to your system? I have not upped my calorie intake, and have been exercising. Any thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight gain - fiber? new
      #61046 - 04/14/04 10:05 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If you were doing low carb/high protein before you changed your diet, you could have easily gained an extra pound or two of water weight. High protein diets are really, really dehydrating, so if you stop them your body will immediately try to regain the water it needs. This is usually temporary - within a week at most the water weight should disappear as your body adjusts, especially if you're drinking a lot more water. Odd as it sounds, bloating and water retention often result because the body needs more water, not less - it's trying desperately to hold onto the water it has, so if you give it lots more, it will release the extra it's holding on to. That's why water is considered to be the best diuretic.

If you weren't doing high protein/low carb, then I'm stumped. It shouldn't be that you're actually walking around with the weight of extra fiber in you - that would be really odd. Do you feel like it's a water gain, muscle, fat, or can't tell?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#61307 - 04/14/04 11:28 PM
Jules3

I don't know. I have been drinking a ton of tea and feel like I pee every half and hour. I have been doing this for a few weeks now, so I doubt I am still dehydrated from before. It is definetely not muscle weight, as I have been working out moderatly but not enough to gain muscle mass. It's just a couple pounds that inched their way on, and don't seem to be going anywhere. Did this happen to anyone else? Now that the fiber is kicking in I do feel that my system is less sluggish and my C seems to be better. I am still very bloated though. Confusing and frustrating...

#64746 - 04/26/04 09:25 AM
Jules3

The weight is still there days later, I am utterly confused. I am doing everything right, but I am am about 4 pounds up from where I was, and scale seems to be continuing to climb. My clothes don't feel tight (yet) but they are getting there. I have been working out 3 times a week. Any other suggestions of what it could be? My fat content is VERY low, and I don't eat too much sugar or empty calories. I watch my calorie intake, and eat soluble fiber before any meal, in the form of sourdough, white rice, etc. Could this be it? I know there is lots of info about carbs not making you gain the weight, and I believe it, but I just dont know why I could be carrying around extra weight. I drink a ton, so I know Im not dehydrated...Any other thoughts????

Count your calorie intake... new
      #64826 - 04/26/04 12:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and compare to what an average day of calories used to be. Somehow, you've either increased your calorie intake or decreased the calories you're burning. Have you increased your portion sizes? Sometimes people are so happy to finally be able to eat without getting sick, they start eating more than they used to simply because they can.

It doesn't really matter where calories come from (fats, carbs, protein) - too many will result in weight gain. Try just adding up all your calories for a day or too, and see what you find.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Count your calorie intake... new
      #64846 - 04/26/04 01:43 PM
Jules3

I acutally started keeping a log a few days ago, when I first noticed it all. My average has been 1000 calories or a little more. I am petite, and normally about 107 pounds, so this amount it okay for me. I figure when I work out I burn about 300 calories, so I am stumped. I know that I am burning more than I am eating, yet still am slowly gaining pounds.

#64853 - 04/26/04 02:06 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Actually that's pretty low, are you trying to diet? By eating that little you're probably slowing down your metabolism, making your body gain weight easier. I mean to lose weight, they recommend 1200-1500 calories, to maintain you would need even more. Even if you're short, 1000 is not enough. How tall are you? I think it could be that, or it could also be from bloating/gas. I notice the days my stomach sticks out due to bloating, I weigh more.

--------------------
IBS-C

#64887 - 04/26/04 02:54 PM
Jules3

I have probably been eating a little less the past few days, since I have been aware of it...probably eat 1000-1200 average. But the 1200-1500 range is not for all weights and sizes. From what I understood as long as you eat 10 times your weight in calories, you should not put any weight on, but also that you are getting enough calories. That would put me at eating the right amount for what I weigh. It's hard to tell if I weigh more when I am bloated with a distended belly, because that is most of the time I am sticking to the diet, but may try cutting a few things I have added and see if that makes a difference. If it is water weight, I just don't know why I would be retaining. I have been doing the diet for over a month now, drink tons of water and tea, and am definetely not dehydrated. I pee ever half hour or hour! I just don't know...Off to make myself some sourdough toast, and some egg whites with vegetables.

me, too. new
      #64894 - 04/26/04 03:17 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm definitely heavier on the scale on the days that i'm bloaty. it's maddening!

--------------------

#64973 - 04/26/04 08:46 PM
fishnets

Well I dunno, I'm just telling you what is considered healthy...if I went by the 10 times your weight thing I would definately become underweight and feel tired, it would be about what you're eating now. Most average women need 1600-1800 calories a day to maintain weight, and just a little less then that to lose.

--------------------
IBS-C

#65215 - 04/27/04 11:47 AM
Jules3

Perhaps your right. Maybe I am eating too little, and it's slowing my metabolism down, like you said. But the wierd thing is that I haven't really changed my caloric intake, just changed the content to add more solubles and cut out other things, like dairy. And yet I'm creeping up in numbers. I dont expect a magic answer, just looking for something...and a bit frustrated. If I haven't changed anything other than adding insolubles, rice, sourdough, etc, and I'm gaining I cant help but think its that. I think maybe I will try just cutting out potatoes and starches like that, and see what happens. I've also been eating more cereal lately, as it really helps me to get the fiber that way, and totally makes a noticeably improvement in my C. Perhaps thats it? Sorry for the babbling, just looking for some support. THanks

#65228 - 04/27/04 12:35 PM
fishnets

Also, have you been lifting weights? By exercising/lifting weights you gain muscle, while losing fat. So maybe right now your body is gaining muscle? Which would be a good thing, since muscle speeds up your metabolism.

--------------------
IBS-C

#65246 - 04/27/04 12:58 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i think you may be on to something with the eats to little theory.

i know i was eating too little about a year ago and gained a few pounds that were reluctant to come off. then i UPPED my calories a bit ('cause i was on Weight Watchers and they won't let you go lower than a certain amt of Points) and the pounds slid off....

or you could be stuck with my best friend's theory: she thinks she holds onto carbs more than other people. she loses weight better when she doesn't have bread, noodles, etc... but that doesn't help you much on the IBS diet, now does it? maybe you have to up your exercise to compensate? i know, i know, i've written about carbs not making you gain weight, and i firmly believe that and science backs me up, but then again i also firmly believe everyone's body and metabolism have their own peculiar quirks! maybe yours it holding onto bread for dear life???

--------------------

#67516 - 05/04/04 05:15 PM
GumN2

Reged: 04/18/04

HI jules! I am gaining weight too. I try to eat the pastas and stuff that won't make me sick but I feel a little bit heavier that I used to be. I get frustrated too alot, especially since the diet is supposed to help you LOSE weight, not gain it. I really don't know what you're doing wrong but you could try to do more cardio and weight to rev up your metabolism. also, try to drink a lot of water, since it helps you maintain a healthy weight and also helps you from dehydrating.

#68837 - 05/09/04 09:18 AM
Jules3

Thanks. I have cut down on my amount of carbs because I think Jen is right, and my body just won't have it. What she said in her post is that my body "hangs on to carbs" and that is exactly what I was thinking. I have cut for a week, haven't noticed anything yet, but I will keep you posted. I am still trying to be as IBS friendly as possible, but just cut out white bread, rice, and most cereals. Trying to keep my IBS in check, while not gaining weight, and hopefully losing those few I gained is important. If I gain, I get depressed and thats no good for my tummy either. Good luck!

Jules!! How do you prepare the egg whites and vegetables??? -nt- new
      #69475 - 05/11/04 11:59 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 962 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2634

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review