All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worst attack in months...
      #59917 - 04/10/04 09:47 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm lying in bed right now, attempting to recover from the worst attack of D I've had since last July. I had to take 2 Immodium (I usually don't take any, my D isn't usually that bad), and I felt like I was going to throw up. I was at work, so I got my best friend to walk me home once the Immodiums kicked in (the first one didn't work, thus the second one) and I could step away from a bathroom.

Ok, question being, I've been on gluten free diet for 2 weeks now. Can I go back to eating gluten and not make myself sick? I'm debating getting some plain bagels and graham crackers and plain pasta to attempt to stabilize myself....I have some white rice bread, but most of the other stuff I have is made with brown rice (which I'm thinking may be part of the problem), so I think I may go back to gluten stuff for a bit. What do y'all think?

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worst attack in months... new
      #59922 - 04/10/04 10:12 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi! You didn't mention why you were choosing to eat gluten-free. Is it due to food allergies?If so,
it seems like you would get sick again from it. What did you eat right before the bad D attack?Maybe you
can narrow it down from that. Insoluble fiber usually was the culprit for me in the past. Good luck! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#59930 - 04/10/04 10:38 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Brown rice and stuff made with brown rice gives me agony, which was why I stopped trying to see if gluten was the problem (it wasn't). Good luck..but you should probably get a test or something to make sure you don't have allergies/intolerances to gluten. Oh well...I am sorry to hear you are so sick! I hope you feel better!!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

#59938 - 04/10/04 11:14 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm on the gluten free diet because I was on the IBS diet, but I wasn't completely better, even after being really strict, and I had most of the symptoms of celiac. The first week of the GF diet I was great tummy wise, but this past week hasn't been too great, culminating in today.

Back to curling up in bed...

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Have you had the blood test for celiac? new
      #60048 - 04/10/04 11:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

That's a lot easier than going gluten free if you don't need to. And, here's the catch, you have to be eating gluten for several weeks before you have the test, or you could get a false negative.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Gluten?!?!? new
      #60082 - 04/11/04 11:14 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

like mel, i too am on a gluten free diet right now, but ir eally want to go back to eating gluten again....if i begin to eat wheat again, will that make me sick?

It will only make you sick if you're gluten intolerant... new
      #60568 - 04/12/04 06:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

which is why it's important to get that test for celiac while you're eating gluten, so you don't get a false negative. If you're not gluten intolerant, then there's not much point in avoiding it. If you do have IBS though, be careful for whole wheat products - refined wheat will be a lot more tolerable for you. In that case it's not the gluten, but the bran that can be problematic.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review