All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Matzah and Passover
      #59579 - 04/09/04 10:45 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Ok, is matzah ok for us IBSers? I keep passover and have been find until last night/today. I posted this in another message but my stomach was real good for like a week. I was on an antibiotic called principen. I was wondering if that helped and now that I'm done it's gotten bad or if it's the matzah or what! Help please!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Matzah and Passover new
      #59585 - 04/09/04 10:56 AM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Quote:

Ok, is matzah ok for us IBSers?

I think the upshot of a discussion of this on the boards last week before Pesach started was that matzot are indeed soluble fiber; however, if you are IBS-C I would cut back on them because I think it really constipates people. That's what my grandmother claims, anyway!

thanks, last week I was so busy!!-nt new
      #59591 - 04/09/04 11:06 AM
rlan

Constipating? new
      #59681 - 04/09/04 01:23 PM
rlan

I've always heard that too but now I'm wondering if it's true or not b/c I'm IBS-C. I feel guilty not keeping passover but b/c of food limits already I feel like there is nothing to eat!
So.. does anyone know if matzah increases constipation? Why do people always say this if it's just wheat flour and water?

Re: Constipating? new
      #59687 - 04/09/04 01:28 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Quote:

I've always heard that too but now I'm wondering if it's true or not b/c I'm IBS-C. I feel guilty not keeping passover but b/c of food limits already I feel like there is nothing to eat!
So.. does anyone know if matzah increases constipation? Why do people always say this if it's just wheat flour and water?

Because it is so dense? (Not sure, just a guess.)

And please don't feel guilty if you can't keep kosher for Pesach -- I already blew it this year, but I was planning on pretending to be Sephardic this year anyway. It's just too hard to adjust to my brand new IBS-diet and then to take out all grains / corn syrup / legumes / etc. on top of that! In my head, I have justified my failure to comply by comparing it to the exceptions to fasting on Yom Kippur -- you aren't supposed to do it if you are too young, too old, too sick, or too pregnant. So I figure I am taking care of my health, and that is more important this year. Then again, I am not the most observant, so I shouldn't be a poster child for when it is okay not to observe.

No, it shouldn't be constipating... new
      #59694 - 04/09/04 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Matzah is no different than any other unleavened white bread - it's just white flour and water, so that means it's just soluble fiber, and that will help constipation, not worsen it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Matzah - the bread of affliction new
      #59702 - 04/09/04 01:41 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, matzah shouldn't be constipating, but it ends up feeling that way! I think the problem is that there's a lot more water in bread/rice/cooked grains than there is in matzah and most people don't compensate and drink lots of extra fluids.

Not that I've kept kosher for Passover recently, but back when I did, it was major C time. The refrain from my parents when I talk with them about Pesach is "boy, this matzah is binding!" Maybe some adventurous kosher v'Pesach IBS person could try drinking an extra glass of water or two for each piece of matzah, and telling us if this helps?

Yep - the water would be crucial... new
      #59706 - 04/09/04 01:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I'd make sure that there's some insoluble fiber foods being added carefully to the meal too.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Constipating? new
      #59786 - 04/09/04 04:49 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

terribly constipating and crampy...there is the dough for four pieces of bread in one piece of matzah! i became sephardi and am eating rice cakes
!!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1629 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review