All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fernenting fruit and digestion time!
      #59224 - 04/08/04 12:51 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Well, I was talking to someone today who is seeing a nutritionist (for healthy eating not specifically around IBS) and she told me that the dietician said you should not eat fruit after a meal because the meal "blocks" the digestion of the fruit and the fruit FERMENTS (YUCK!) in your tummy! (And I had eaten a peach after my white bagel and tuna at lunch to try to EAT THE SOLUBLE FIBER FIRST but still incorporate the insoluble fiber!).

Apparently this nutritionist also said that because different foods have different digestion times you should be careful how you combine what you eat at the same time. For example, you shouldn't eat meat with a potato because it takes the meat a lot longer to get digested than the potatato.

She also said that people should poop 3 TIMES A DAY

I know everyone's digestion is different - especially for us ibs'ers but does anyone have any idea if any of this makes sense???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fernenting fruit and digestion time! new
      #59230 - 04/08/04 01:06 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I think the 3 times a day pooping thing is just ridiculous!! Every ones body is different but I can't see how that would be the "norm" even for normal people!

I have heard about not eating certain kinds of food with others kinds of food but really haven't done to much research on it. I'm assuming she was giving advice to someone with a normal GI tract? Remember, our GI tracts aren't normal, thats why we have IBS! If most of use IBSers ate fruit alone on an empty tummy, we would be in trouble! Out tummies require different things than normal people so I wouldn't take everything she said to mean that it was good for people with IBS.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

There's no validity to this... new
      #59296 - 04/08/04 03:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the idea that you shouldn't eat fruit after a meal, or combine proteins with carbs, has no evidence to support it at all. I'm actually really shocked that a legit nutritionist would even say this. The digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid in your stomach break down all kinds of foods, whether you're eating them together or separately.

As far as three BMs a day, a fairly good but very flexible rule is that for each meal you eat, you should have a BM. In countries with high fiber intakes (and the US ain't one of them) this is fairly typical. In the US it's typical for a lot of vegans, because they do eat a lot more fiber. If you have IBS, your transit time will likely vary, because your gut is not functioning normally. But you already knew that part...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fernenting fruit and digestion time! new
      #59377 - 04/08/04 05:39 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

I poo three times a day when my ibs is stable....and if I don't I feel bloated...but definetly agree that it depends on the person. most books I've read says it varies from once every three days to three times a day...any more and its too much and any less and its too little

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

I don't think anyone really poops 3 x per day except maybe horses! new
      #59430 - 04/08/04 08:30 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Re: I don't think anyone really poops 3 x per day except maybe horses! new
      #59432 - 04/08/04 08:34 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow... I don't think I've pooped 3 times a day ever! Unless you count that D where one trip to the bathroom kind of blends in to another... but never normal poops!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4773 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review