All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about Portion Sizes--Heather
      #58621 - 04/06/04 07:56 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

Okay....I probably should know this, but how much Rice Chex, or Honeycomb, or rice or pasta should I have at a meal without gaining weight or being overly calorific?? It is SO SO SO hard for me to be eating this stuff when all my friends eat low/no-carb and make a big deal over it.

Typically I have been eating the standard serving size of one cup. If I eat a snack, it is one cup Rice chex and one cup rice milk. If I eat dinner or lunch of a rice or pasta dish it is also typically one cup. What do you think of this?? I am just terrified of gaining weight.

I do ashtanga yoga 3-4 days a week plus a Jazzercise class with my husband.

Thanks,
Jen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Portion Sizes--Heather new
      #58623 - 04/06/04 08:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Jen - A one cup serving sounds just fine. Does that fill you up? You could always try eating a smaller portion, and then giving yourself a bit of time, and if you're hungry have seconds. Not going to long between eating will make it easier to not wolf down too much food too quickly, too.

You might look at the overall calorie count of the foods your eating. You're likely burning about 2,000 calories a day, maybe up to 2,500 on the yoga days. So just add up your total calories for a few days, and see what you get. It's actually a lot harder to get too many calories when you're eating low fat, high complex carb, simply because fats are more than twice as calorie-dense as carbs. Plus the carbs have fiber, which is filling.

I wouldn't be worried - honestly, I don't think you have any reason to be afraid here at all. Don't let worry about weight gain (that's very unlikely) derail what you need for good health and a happy tummy.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#58625 - 04/06/04 08:17 PM
Scully30

Hi Jen - A one cup serving sounds just fine. Does that fill you up? You could always try eating a smaller portion, and then giving yourself a bit of time, and if you're hungry have seconds. Not going to long between eating will make it easier to not wolf down too much food too quickly, too.

---Actually, sometimes it doesn't, and I am still hungry an hour later, but I have tried to ignore it, which doesn't always work.

Today I had a slice of your zucchini bread plus peppermint tea for breakfast, a cup of fat free tuna salad with about 10 fat-free saltines and 1/2c. applesauce for lunch, 1 1/2 c. rice chex and 1 c. rice milk for snack, and then 1 c. angel hair pasta with marinara and zucchini and 1/2c. mango for dinner. Later on I usually have about 10 more fat free saltines because I'm hungry.

I try to eat about 4-5 times a day regularly because it feels better, but do you think this is too much or too little??

Thank you for ALL your input, so far you have been incredibly helpful, and I appreciate all that you do!

Jen

#58630 - 04/06/04 08:34 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Jen, what about adding some sliced bananas to your cereal? I'm assuming you have it with soy or rice milk? I always get hungry within a couple of hours of having honeycombs, but if I add about 1/2 a sliced banana it lasts me at least an hour longer! I know that also adds more calories, but it's just a suggestion!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

I just want to make sure you see my reply! -nt- new
      #58658 - 04/06/04 10:37 PM
Scully30

#58680 - 04/07/04 04:59 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Scully- I agree with Heather, I wouldn't worry about weight gain, if you are exercising and the
program is keeping you from having IBS problems. I have been using Heather's plan since last July
and have lost 25 pounds since the November before that. I think exercise is key. Also, even though
I eat some of her great breads daily like the chocolate applesauce or the pumpkin apple, I USED
to eat tons of ice cream, brownies, cookies etc. that had a lot more fat, so it works out.
PS-tell your 'low carb' crazy friends that a nurse friend of mine said in 10 years if they keep using that
diet their kidneys and heart will be a mess! The way you are eating makes a lot more sense.

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#58691 - 04/07/04 05:44 AM
fitnessmelis

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Massachusetts

I was worried about the same thing when I started following Heather's diet regimen. I am a fitness instructor and health nut...and was really nervous. To my surprise, I've actually lost pounds without trying...Rice Chex with Vanilla Soy Milk happens to be my favorite snack - I probably have a cup and a half of it a day. Enjoy!

Heather wrote a great post yesterday (I think it was yesterday) about carbs and white rice and bread... it's very explicative and will make you feel better about eating the carbs.

#58812 - 04/07/04 11:31 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If anything, I'm worried about you not eating enough. The fact that you're hungry just a little while after eating is a good indicator of that, and you really shouldn't be going through life always hungry.

You might want to add in a bit more protein and fat with your meals. That can help satisfy your hunger longer. Put a smidgen of a nut butter (peanut, almond) on your morning bread, or a bit of a non-hydrogenated soy spread. Can you do soy milk instead of rice milk? There's some protein and fat in that.

Given your exercise level, I really think you can eat more than you are without worry. Larger portion sizes, and some more snacks, should take care of the hunger. If you're not eating enough, you'll actually lower your body metabolism, and burn less fat.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#58833 - 04/07/04 12:05 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

hey there
please don't listen to this rubbish about being low carb and carbs creating weight gain. yes carbs like doughnuts will create weight gain, but good old rice and pasta...its the fuel the body recognises and we were made to eat! not to starve!
my friend did a survey of 30 women for her university thesis. I was one of them and at the end I was the one that ate by far the most calories and good fats (from nuts and nut and seed butters and olive oil).Guess what? I had the least problems with my weight. I am five foot three and 109 pounds and believe me it is not genetic...there was a time before I sorted out my bowels that I was 135 pounds and I was eating less then. But now I exercise regularly. Its what you eat, the types of carbs (ie high fibre helps) not demonising carbs as a whole. and yes, these people that follow atkins are on the way to totally overloading their organs. its all so silly. we should have more acceptance of our God given body shapes, and follow diets in order to be in the best health possible, NOT to follow fashion. When I am just a little peckish I have a piece of toast or some rice cakes, because you must keep in mind that it is bad for your ibs to remain empty.
eat and be merry!

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

Thanks, Heather.....(more) new
      #58930 - 04/07/04 04:08 PM
Scully30

Yes.....peanut butter will do just fine. Soy I have a LOT of problems with--lots of gas and bloat, and Gas-X or Beano does NA-DA for me. Even maximum strength! I can only do rice milk. I do eat fish and seafood, about twice a week.
Should I eat more? I could eat it every day....but I try to give my hubby some variety in what I make.
What does almond butter taste like?

God, it's so hard to eat more when I am scared to gain weight....but you think maybe a 1/2c. more of pasta or rice with my meal will be an okay increase??

You really have been a help.

Jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review