All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Try starting a separate thread... new
      #223879 - 11/09/05 08:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...as your post is rather lost here. Just click on New Post when you're looking at the forum you want to post in.

But there is no reason why you have to eat soy with this diet...I'm guessin that's the main culprit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: General info for Newbies! Welcome! new
      #232363 - 12/18/05 08:57 AM
hadenough

Reged: 12/18/05

Thanks for all the useful info! I have just been dx after suffering for over 20 years. I found this website last night and I know I will be spending much time here! I am in Norfolk, Va, so if anyone knows of a support group here, let me know.

#232381 - 12/18/05 10:56 AM
Nicole1982

Reged: 12/18/05

Wow!! I didn't realise how much info there is on IBS. I have just been diagnosed with IBS so I'm a bit up in the air at the moment. I have no idea what I can have and not have. Your info will get me started thanks.

time for a bump-nt new
      #261282 - 05/03/06 10:01 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Heather, can we make this a sticky post? --nt-- new
      #261298 - 05/03/06 11:05 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#288442 - 10/30/06 10:24 AM
DivineDivaD

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi... I have just purchased 2 of Heather's book, but I am still reading through them. I was diagnosed with IBS probably 20 or more years ago.... but being Italian and wanting to eat eat eat as we do in my family.... eating for IBS was NOT going to be my priority. Well now I'm 47 years old and its as though my IBS has grown into this horrid monster that has taken over my body with a vengeance. I suffer with the constipation form of IBS. I have lots of gas, bloating, cramping and its just generally annoying all the time. My biggest problem is that I am so confused with all this new information. A lot of it goes against everything I have been teaching myself for the past 3 years. I have been trying to convert my family to a mostly organic whole food diet. Thats not to say we dont "cheat" and eat out or eat desserts, but we try to eat at least 50% organic. The IBS diet is going to take me some time to digest. I have not been allowing myself to eat white bread - I thought that was the enemy. I am also confused about the "low-fat" stuff that is suggested. I don't like bottled dressings filled with preservatives so I make my own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Why would eating a bottled Low fat dressing be better than that? Also I have been eating yogurt cuz I thought that was supposed to be good for the flora in your colon and would help me. I don't see any suggestions for eating yogurt or if its a trigger food cuz it's dairy.

I hope this isn't too confusing.... cuz right now my head is spinning thinking I have to re-learn how to eat at the age of 47 and how will I do that with the influences I have and always will have around me.

Can someone help me and give me some insight or just tell me how to start slowly and not overwhelm myself.

Your new newbie
DDD

--------------------
IBS-C with chronic heartburn

For DivineDivaD new
      #288464 - 10/30/06 03:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

My biggest problem is that I am so confused with all this new information. A lot of it goes against everything I have been teaching myself for the past 3 years. I have been trying to convert my family to a mostly organic whole food diet. Thats not to say we dont "cheat" and eat out or eat desserts, but we try to eat at least 50% organic.
There's no reason you can't keep eating organic on the Eating For IBS Diet. In fact, a lot of people on the Boards try to eat pretty much organic and there's at least one poster who won't touch anything but organic foods.

The IBS diet is going to take me some time to digest. I have not been allowing myself to eat white bread - I thought that was the enemy.
Well, you can take a look at this and see if it helps a little with that feeling. And you might read this, too, to understand better that the EFI Diet doesn't mean eating nothing but mushy stuff for the rest of your life: web page. Page down to "The Five Constipation Frustrations" and look especially at the second one.

If I may be permitted a minor rant, I've never understood why so many people think The Mediterranean Diet is great, what the Japanese eat is great, what the Chinese eat is great, and then turn up their noses at white bread and white rice.

I am also confused about the "low-fat" stuff that is suggested. I don't like bottled dressings filled with preservatives so I make my own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Why would eating a bottled Low fat dressing be better than that?
If you have IBS your gut simply cannot tolerate a lot of fat. And your gut doesn't care how "good" the fat is - it just doesn't like it. However, there's no law that says you have to eat low-fat bottled dressing - I certainly never do. You'll have to experiment for yourself and see how much oil your body will handle - and how much salad for that matter.

In general, eating a raw salad is Advanced Eating For IBS - it's tough IF to handle until you've got your gut settled down a little bit. I was on the EFI Diet for 6 months before I tried salads but I now do pretty well with them. And I use extra-virgin olive oil on mine but I can't overdo it. And, again, I wouldn't recommend the salad or the oil-based dressing until you've gotten your IBS under better control.

Also I have been eating yogurt cuz I thought that was supposed to be good for the flora in your colon and would help me. I don't see any suggestions for eating yogurt or if its a trigger food cuz it's dairy.
It's discussed in the FAQ: web page

I hope this isn't too confusing.... cuz right now my head is spinning thinking I have to re-learn how to eat at the age of 47 and how will I do that with the influences I have and always will have around me.
I learned to eat this way at 50. For me it simply came down to misery. I was so horribly sick and this offered the chance to feel better. And the EFI Diet is NOT an unhealthy way to eat. Yes, you need a Soluble Fiber base for meals and snacks but that doesn't mean you should eat nothing but white bread, white rice, and white potatoes. Especially since you're a C, you very much need Insoluble Fiber. You'll have to find your own balance of SF and IF, but except for the trigger foods nothing is off limits. It's just a matter of what your gut will accept.

Can someone help me and give me some insight or just tell me how to start slowly and not overwhelm myself.
First, make sure you've done the required reading. You can find it on the main Message Board page or you can look at this to be sure you've hit it all.

After that, you can go one of two different ways. First, you can cut back to all SF foods for a few days (Break The Cycle), then start adding in safe protein, some fat, and IF carefully. Second, you can take a look at what you're eating now and do some substitutions. For example, if lunch is a roast beef sandwich on a whole grain roll with mayonnaise, try a roast chicken sandwich on a white roll with low-fat mayo or mustard or chutney. The white roll is your SF base - make sure you also eat some IF in the form of fruits or veggies.

This is one of my very favorite posts - it's how someone with IBS-C eats what certainly seems like a perfectly healthy diet and does well IBS-wise. Maybe her menu will give you some ideas.

You know, in general it sounds like what you're saying is, "Why doesn't my body realize I'm giving it good, healthy food? Why won't it behave when I'm treating it so well?" It's frustrating, I know. Right before I found this Website I had finally stopped eating junk for breakfast and started eating GrapeNuts and yogurt. I couldn't figure out why it almost killed me - it was so much healthier than what I'd been eating, wasn't it?

The simple fact is that when you have IBS your body has its own ideas about what is and isn't good for it. Your gut isn't asking for much - just a little something easy to digest to get it going before it's asked to handle all the tougher stuff you're sure is better for you.

HTH. Good luck and welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thank you, Sand. -nt- new
      #288476 - 10/30/06 04:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: For DivineDivaD new
      #288541 - 10/31/06 08:30 AM
DivineDivaD

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: New Hampshire

Thank you for all the much needed info. I feel really good about finding Heathers books and this website. I will check into all the places you suggested for reading and I appreciate you taking the time to dissect my post. You did a great job with each item I needed info on.

--------------------
IBS-C with chronic heartburn

Re: For DivineDivaD new
      #288573 - 10/31/06 02:50 PM
Reneemj

Reged: 10/06/06
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi there Divine..

I've been in the exact same boat as you. Prior to finding out I had IBS I ate mostly low carb and EVERYTHING was whole wheat totally the opposite from the eating for IBS diet. The thought of eating white bread or sourdough really messed with my head. Well, after reading both of Heather's books and reading tons of posts on this message board I have to say that eating for IBS is the best thing that I could have found. I was stable for a couple of weeks until Sunday (I probably added to much ISF back into my diet) but now that I've cut back again on the ISF and added more SF I'm feeling better. Like I've read on many posts.. triggers and diet are different for everyone but I truly believe that if you follow Heather's eating for IBS you'll start feeling better. From there it's just trial and error. Oh and once you start feeling better you won't mind buying the white bread and sourdough.. and you can buy organic bread that's quality.

Hope some of this helps you..

Renee

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 150589

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review