Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having trouble with the whole simple carbs issue new
      #58150 - 04/05/04 01:15 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Sorry 'bout the long post earlier...

just wanted to add that since whole grains aren't healthy for you (give you C or D or both) then you are being healthy by not eating them! what's good for some people isn't good for others... i know that the current thinking is to focus on wholegrains, but really we're getting the fiber we need to keep our colons healthy, and we're getting the nutrients and vitamins we need... how is that unhealthy? at least, that's what i told my brother when he asked me the same things a few months ago... he didn't really have an answer to that!

--------------------

Thank you for the clarification! new
      #58163 - 04/05/04 02:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It drives me nuts when foods like white rice and potatoes and white breads are wrongly termed "simple carbs". There's only one simple carb in the world, and it's plain sugar. No matter how refined grains and cereals are, they're still complex carbs. And potatoes are a vegetable, for God's sake. They're not even a refined carb - they're a whole food.

Refined grains is a better term here. And the only thing this even applies to is the white bread, pasta, and white rice. Other high soluble fiber foods like oatmeal, polenta, potatoes, etc. are not refined at all. Refined grains are still complex carbs, not simple carbs, but they've had their bran and germ removed. There's nutrition in bran and germ as well as insoluble fiber, but for wheat products, once they're refined they're then enriched, to add the vitamins/minerals back in. So all you're missing is the insoluble fiber.

One thing many folks don't seem clear on is that there is nothing in refined carbs that isn't also in whole grains. Nothing is added to white breads that you aren't already eating with whole wheat bread. So it's not like there is something unhealthy being added to white bread - you're just missing the insoluble fiber. And if you have IBS, you may not be able to eat this type of insoluble fiber, in which case you're healthier without it. Agonizing cramps, diarrhea, and constipation are not signs of health.If you worsen these problems with whole grains that your gut (which is not normal, that's why you have IBS) cannot handle, you are not helping yourself. You're making yourself sick, and there's no way that's healthy. This always makes me think of people who have food allergies. If someone is allergic to strawberries, eating them is not in the best interest of their health. Yes, strawberries are packed with vitamin C and anti-oxidants that prevent cancer. But if eating them makes your throat swell shut so you die, then strawberries are not healthy for you, and you should avoid them.

The countries with the highest carb intake are Asian. They get anywhere from 60-75% of their calories from carbs - mostly in the form of the refined grain white rice. Their obesity rates are 2-3%. Their diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and osteoporosis rates are a fraction of the rates in the US. So how many carbs do we eat in the USA? On average, about 45% of our calories come from carbs. And our obesity rates are now 35% and climbing. We have one of the highest obesity rates in the world, but our carb consumption is dramatically lower than those countries with the lowest obesity rates in the world.

Complex carbs are not the enemy, and refined grains are complex carbs. You're not somehow eating bad things in refined grains that are absent from whole grains. You're just missing some insoluble fiber. And you're trying as hard as possible to incorporate as much insoluble fiber as you can, carefully. If you can find this balance and keep your gut stable, you should be eating a really healthy diet that is much more likely to lower your risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. It's not a coincidence that so many folks on the boards have found themselves losing weight without trying after adjusting to the IBS diet. And with that weight reduction, their disease rate is dropping as well.

At some point you just have to tune out people telling you to eat foods that you know you cannot eat without getting sick. Whether they're trying to push whole wheat breads or Atkins, if it's not suitable for your body you have every right to just ignore them and do what it takes to keep yourself healthy and happy.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Amen, Sistah! -nt- new
      #58214 - 04/05/04 05:18 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

#58221 - 04/05/04 05:28 PM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi guys, just thought I would add my bit. Yep, I was scared silly of the carb thing, man have we been brainwashed. Heather you are my hero! I am having sooooooo much fun eating my beloved white breads, potatoes, your lovely recipes for breads, cakes, etc. I am hoping to lose weight, in time, right now I am enjoying eating again. I was a vegetarian for 12 years and would love to get back to that. I just printed off Heather's note about the carb thing and my husband is reading it. I am getting him off of Aikins and he's loving the mashed spud again also. We are British after all! I will let you all know how the weight thing goes, for now my tummy is pretty good.

Take care, Anita.

Re: For Kimm new
      #58249 - 04/05/04 07:13 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi JJR... I've lost weight by following Heather's diet mixed with Weight Watchers. I try to exercise a lot... but this semester has been crazy at school and I haven't as much as I would have liked.

As for the person up thread who asked if eating white bread will give you diabetes, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Re: Thank you for the clarification! new
      #58278 - 04/05/04 09:35 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Thank you guys all so much! I just feel guilty about it, I have "food issues"(which actually is what caused my IBS in the first place), so I tend to get triggered into thinking foods are *bad*, especially when people tell me they are. But reading all your replies made me feel so much better about things. I try to add in as much fiber from other sources as I can tolerate, so I mean I guess that's all I can ask for right? I'll try to look at it in the way that for me it's healthy. You guys helped a lot. And by the way sorry Heather for refering to them as simple carbs, I'll try to remember that in the future

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Thank you Heather! new
      #58459 - 04/06/04 12:27 PM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

thank you SO MUCH for that explanation!! it really gave me a better understanding of that whole issue. i appreciate it!

Re: For Chinagrl new
      #58462 - 04/06/04 12:29 PM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

Thanks...and congrats!

#58512 - 04/06/04 02:45 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I just wanted to let you know I lost 30 pounds the first 4 months I was on the diet. The thing is I was student teaching at the time. I probable didn't do it right. I was so worried about an attack that I would eat very little for breakfast, had little time for lunch and then I would eat a normal dinner. That was 16 months ago and I never put it back on and I even increased my food intake. Well actually, I lied. I have gained at least 1 lb. I will find out on Thursday how much more I have gained but I'm also 12 weeks pregnant. At this point with my first pregnancy I had gained 20lbs. This is my best pregnancy and I have hardly been sick and I am finally getting my energy back. BTW, my IBS started after the birth of my second child.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 509 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23848

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review