All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dicyclomine/Bentyl
      #5435 - 04/08/03 08:49 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Does anyone take this for IBS? I have a prescription and take it as needed. Should I take it all the time? Any suggestions?

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dicyclomine/Bentyl new
      #5441 - 04/08/03 09:53 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi~

I used to take 10 mg. of Bentyl 4 times a day, everyday, for gastritis, but now that is better, so I just take it as needed for IBS. When I feel an attack coming on, I usually take 20 mgs. 3-4 times a day and that will relieve most of the symptoms unless they are real bad and then nothing seems to help. I'm from Ohio and a gastronologist in Columbus gave me Wellbutrin (an anti-depressant) also for IBS that I take everyday. I was given 150 mg, but take only 75mg and it has seemed to help the severity of the attacks. He said that he has found anti-depressants help some women with IBS more than the medications for IBS. I know that is just one doctors opinion, others may not agree, but it has helped me.

#5444 - 04/08/03 10:20 AM
tnchawk

Thank you. My dr aslo prescribed Elavil for the same thing. Can I take them together do you think? I haben't started the Elavil yet; am a little leary of an anti-depressant. Any other thoughts?

--------------------

#5445 - 04/08/03 10:22 AM
Jenn

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: NJ

My doctor put me on 10 mg Bentyl which I would take only as needed. It worked wonders for me at the time. I then switched doctors, and the new doctor wrote me a prescrip. for 20 mg. I did not realize the dosage, but I started taking it with every meal. It continued to work great, but suddenly I started experiencing nausea after meals. I have been off the meds for 4 days now to see if the nausea gets better, and I am starting Heather's diet and I just might try to stay off the meds for good.

#5448 - 04/08/03 10:30 AM
tnchawk

Ok...that is what my scrip is for...20mg...I just take it as needed; I hate to become "dependent" on something. I am going to try the diet. Plus I see a nutritionist/pharmacist next week, so hopefully he can guidem through this. I am so glad that we have this board; I thought I was alone!

--------------------

#5454 - 04/08/03 11:26 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03

I have never taken Elavil, but I would think you could take it and the Bentyl as needed. I sure hope the Elavil works for you like the Wellbutrin did for me. I really can't describe how I felt taking the 150 mg of W. but just didn't feel right, so I cut it into and the 75 mg worked for me! So you may not feel like yourself at first, which I don't like, but maybe you can take just half the dose prescribed. Good luck!!

#5481 - 04/08/03 02:55 PM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

im new to the board but take bentyl 3-4 times a day and most of the time it works just depends on what i am eating

#5482 - 04/08/03 03:02 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03

I've been taking this "as needed", when I anticipated extra stress. Now, however, my doctor wants me to take it regularly, 4x per day. It does help, although I think Levsin helped a little more - I was just sensitive to the Levsin (lots of meds allergies). I would encourage you to try it!

#5500 - 04/08/03 07:39 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I was put on Bentyl by my doctor down here, and found it to be quite inferior to what I was taking before, Dicetel. Unfortunately you can't get Dicetel here, so I have to get a big haul of it every time that I go home.

Re: Dicyclomine/Bentyl-THANKS! new
      #5515 - 04/09/03 04:57 AM
tnchawk

Thank you everyone; I really appreciate the advice. I will try to take it more often. I've just noticed that sometimes it makes me a bit "loopy" But, I suppose no drug is perfect.

--------------------

We can take Meds??? new
      #5526 - 04/09/03 06:16 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

As a lot of people know - I was diagnosed 4 years ago - was given no info or treatment. I wasn't aware that there are any medications we can take for IBS.

How do they help? Are they expensive? How do you know when to take them? Are they addictive/can you become dependant? Are they a subsitute for safe eating or do they compliment? Does anybody NOT recommend the meds?

Re: We can take Meds??? new
      #5527 - 04/09/03 06:19 AM
tnchawk

I am not a big fan of meds, personally, but the anti-spasmodics do help sometimes. I try to do more for myself naturally, but have the drug as a backup. I also have an anti-depressant, because my GI said that they help IBS symptoms. But I haven't taken it yet; I am a little afraid of that, only beacause you can't take it as needed; you have to let it "build-up" in your system. Also, you can't stop it whenever you want; you have to wean yourself off...not so sure about that. But you may want to ask about an anti spaz drug like Bentyl or Levasin; they are helpful. Good luck!

--------------------

#5530 - 04/09/03 07:00 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03

My doctor just started me on Zelnorm a week or so ago. It helped quite a bit at first, but not so much the last two days. Of course that could be because I am starting to add some foods back into my diet and my guts just don't know what to do with it. The DR said the Zelnorm is for women who are mostly IBS-C, and I am taking it 2x a day.

I tried the Bentyl a few years ago, and it didn't help much. I have some Phenergen (sp?) for nausea and that saves me during bad attacks.

I wouldn't say any med is a sub for eating right though.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#5534 - 04/09/03 07:39 AM
kidswithIBS

Reged: 03/17/03
Loc: Ill, USA

my daughter started with levisin after 6mos it stopped working but what a great 6 mos. she then went to bentyl 10 mgs 3x a day. she was in a study of its effectivness. she used it for 6mos then off for 1 1/2 then on again . when she went on it the second time she had adverse reactions. she had blurred vision and tightness in her chest.

#5559 - 04/09/03 12:33 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

An antispasomtic does help me, but doesnt CURE my ibs.. it just makes life a bit more easier.:D... which is good. I'm on Levsin, .125mg twice a day (5am and 5pm) It has definitly helped me with the day to day attacks. The meds can only be prescribed by your doc though, and theyre no expensive as long as you have health insurance.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Info on IBS Meds new
      #5568 - 04/09/03 02:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - there are quite a few meds available for IBS, though I'm not sure what's in Japan. Here's some detailed info for you
web page

Trial and error can be a big part of finding a med that works for you. Having a knowledgable doctor is really important too!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Info on IBS Meds new
      #5717 - 04/10/03 09:38 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Yeah, the antispasmotics are by no means a cure, I find it's more like taking asprin for a headache -- sometimes it takes the edge off a little. They're a useful tool though, especially when I know I'm going to be under stress. If I've eaten something I've shouldn't though, they're of no use.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1675 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6440

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review