Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Wow! and more sugar! hahhahah new
      #53267 - 03/23/04 08:28 AM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

Hey there
I am so glad the info helped you.
Good for you in weaning yourself off...it will happen. I promise you will crave it less. I only crave it when I am naughty and reintroduce it to my diet. I am lucky that I can tolerate fruit well after a meal, which gives me a bit of natural sugar there which doesn't set off energy rollercoaster.
Over the three years I haven't touched sugar (and I have such a sweet tooth...comes with the ibs territory!!!), I have read so much about it, and have become quite anti it actually!!! I think it is one of the many reasons there is such an obesity problem in the western world (I have travelled widely in developing countries!),and our poor children....read anything about their health recently? childhood type two diabetes etc. It raises cholesterol and triglyceride levels and so much more!!! Oh, I could go on and on and bore you all to death!
What I am trying to say is that there is a beautiful energy constant world out there which can be attained!!! You can wean yourself off (the making cakes with less and les sugar each time is a great idea) or you can be a masochist like me and swipe it away cold turkey! But I promise you, your taste buds will adapt and a carrot will taste sooooo sweet. I KNOW that natural foods taste soooo much better to me then to people that sweeten everything!
but this doesn't mean that you never eat it again. I have a little tradition that on birthdays, weddings etc I will allow myself some cake / cookies . It becomes such a beautiful treat!
Ok think I have splurted enough passion for a non sugary lifestyle here! off on a day out in the sunshine with my fiance...lucky me.....rice cakes are packed!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dark Chocolate question? new
      #53269 - 03/23/04 08:28 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Jen, this is as dark as I've been able to find when the urge hits. web page And even then, I have to beg my little local health food store to stock them.

Where can I get something with 80% cocoa solids? (links?) That's a higher % than I've ever heard of.
I've always been a purist when it comes to chocolate....and the darker the better!

--------------------

Re: Chocolate binges! new
      #53270 - 03/23/04 08:31 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Actually, no. I'm not too tempted. I don't care for white chocolate or milk chocolate. I will occassionally have to test some new recipes, and I make sure it's the dark chocolate I taste. I'd rather make 'em for other people and watch them enjoy them than eat it and get sick! I do have a weakness for truffles and chocolate-dipped fruit, so I make sure I don't keep them around the house.

I have been selling them small-time for a few months, but will be online (SOON!) @ thechocolateofthemonth.com for all to purchase! I'm excited.

--------------------

Tel Aviv? new
      #53291 - 03/23/04 09:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Tel Aviv? When do you/have you lived there? Where exactly? When was the last time you were there? I spent 7 weeks in Hod Hasharon! It's z-beste!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Be careful with Splenda, it is an artificial sweetener.... new
      #53373 - 03/23/04 11:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's actually a chemically engineered reverse molecule of sugar - definitely not a sweetener that occurs naturally. It does have potential GI side effects, so be careful. You might try stevia, a natural plant sweetener that's much sweeter than sugar and has no calories, instead. Health food stores carry it. It won't cause any GI problems at all.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Chocolate binges! new
      #53507 - 03/23/04 03:44 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hello Bernard Callebaut Chocolates, the dark ones! Hmm, I don't think you can find him in the States . . . Too bad for you!

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Re: Does anyone else get these symptoms? new
      #53509 - 03/23/04 03:47 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Yes! I told you, those attacks are hard to explain. I lose my breath, I feel dizzy, I just want to be alone and I need it to be quiet...it's just the worst feeling. I hope they go away. I just get so nervous.
I have stress/anxiety problems even w/o IBS, so it just makes it worse. I just started seeing a therapist, so we'll see if he helps me at all.

I never used to get these attacks, so I know they are caused by a combination of IBS and my own nerves/stress.

Thanks for responding!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: sugar new
      #53512 - 03/23/04 03:57 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Dalia,
You are completely right about sugar, and I know it....it's just so hard! I noticed after I read your email that I have been eating a lot of sugar still....I know I'm addicted to it. Before IBS, I could eat a pound of skittles in one sitting, haha. For real though!
I will try to cut down on sugar. Can we eat stuff like flavored oatmeal? What about flavored rice cakes? I was reading the ingredients on apple-cinnimon rice cakes and it has artifical flavors and all...so I was worried to eat them right now.

Anyways, thanks for you info. I really need to try. If it helps, it'll be worth it, because I'm going through a really bad time right now.

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Tel Aviv? new
      #53589 - 03/23/04 08:23 PM
Dalia

Hey Ruchie
Lord I am all over the place....I came back in november after travelling eight months around the world (new zealand, ozzieland, singapore, thailand, laos, cambodia, vietnam, india, italy!). I was travelling with my boyfriend, now fiance (we got engaged in vietnam!) and we are getting married in july in Israel. Both are families are Israeli, but I grew up in London and him in New York! So this year is split into three, some in London, some in NY, and some in Israel! In september I will be permanently placed in NY! It will be weird to be in one place not being nomadic!!!
For one thing, I have bcome an expert of where the health food shops are in which countries! hahahahah
I've never been to hod hasharon...but I've been all over Israel...spent a few years there.
XXXXXXX Happy bowels!

--------------------

Re: sugar and artifical stuff! new
      #53590 - 03/23/04 08:33 PM
Dalia

hey cara
guess what, I have more to say! hahahahha
Listen, as far as the artifical flavourings etc go (rice cakes etc).
I am a big believer (and feel free to disagree with me!), and from personal experience also, that the chemical additives that are put into food aggravate an irritable bowel. I don't eat them. If I want rice cakes with flavour, I buy plain brown rice rice cakes and put sugarless wholefruit (st dalfour is the brand) jam on them. Voila, yummy, nutritious and pure.
When I first cleaned up my diet for ibs (and I'd been on wheat free, this free, that free, for years before it...nothing worked), I decided to widen the quest of the diet. I was going to go back to basics and eat PURE.
Even if a book told me I could have pot noodles with ten thousand artificial ingredients in it, I said no.
I decided it was time to treat my body like a temple, a piece of gold. It was obviously suffering. I had spent years being annoyed with it for being such a nuisance, why not give myself a hug and start with eating only things that were as natural as possible.
My shopping cart consisted of lots of fruits and vegies, rice, bread, you know...basics. Nothing processed.
I taught myself to cook (scary and intimidating...but fun too!!).
And my self esteem rose with my ibs disappearing.
I am convinced that ibs is a disease of the western world. It does not exist in developing countries where they still eat pure, and high fibre diets.
And you know what? now I see my ibs as a blessing (most of the time). Yes, I am considered a health freak by my junk food family, but I don't care. My body was sensitive enough to alert me to all the junk I had grown up on (soooo much), and forced me to eat sooo healthily. Unlike the rest of my family, who although they have chronic ailments, none as life stopping as ibs, so they continue down the junk food path.
So incase I have blabbered you to boredom, the crux of it is. I know you feel totally swallowed up and blown to pieces by what is going on right now. But you have two choices, hate it and get depressed, or see it as a wonderful opportunity to get to know yourself better, be better to yourself then you have ever been, and to learn to cook really healthy food for yourself and your loved ones! I am already learning to bake healthy cookies for when I have children!!! yes yes I am insane.....
love, dalia XXXX

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21087

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review