All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Trying to gain weight with IBS
      #48556 - 03/07/04 11:47 AM
monkey

Reged: 03/07/04

I recently found out I have IBS, I suspected I did for a long time and thought I was doing the right thing with eating a lot of fiber and healthy foods but I guess I was eating insoluble fiber which is bad. Now that I'm changing my diet I notice I can't eat most of the things I normally ate. I eat about 5 small meals a day and I lift weights a lot and I'm always looking to gain muscle mass and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do this with IBS. Is soy protein drinks OK as long as I don't mix them with dairy? Without dairy, nuts, whole wheat products, peanut butter, and granola I'm left without anything healthy to eat during the day, what would you suggest? You all seem to be better educated on the subject than me so hopefully someone can chime in and give me an idea or two. I hope this information given on this site is accurate, it'd be nice not to have to worry about deathly stomach pains anymore. Thanks in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trying to gain weight with IBS new
      #48562 - 03/07/04 02:34 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi Monkey!
I've been struggling with weight loss too and the only thing that has worked is eating more carbs (potatoes, yams, pasta, rice, quinoa). I try to bake muffins and make pancakes for snacks. This seems to be working- now I have a little belly! I know for putting on muscle mass they say to eat alot of protein, but when my protein intake was higher it was too fatty and my IBS acted up.
Good luck!
Laura

Check the IBS diet FAQ - this exact topic is addressed. -nt- new
      #48574 - 03/07/04 03:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Silly question....but please answer! new
      #48635 - 03/07/04 09:53 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

This is going to be a strange question, but is your name Richard?? I have a good friend who wants to keep building muscle mass and drinks soy tofu protein shakes, and his nickname has always been "Monkey". In fact, he has it on the back of his car. If not, my bad! It would just be great if the two of us had this in common! Sorry for the silly post.

Thanks,
Jen

Re: Silly question....but please answer! new
      #48802 - 03/08/04 04:49 PM
monkey

Nope sorry I'm not him, I just like Monkey's

Re: Check the IBS diet FAQ - this exact topic is addressed. -nt- new
      #48803 - 03/08/04 04:52 PM
monkey

Heather,
Is eating a lot of protein going to cause problems with IBS or will it be ok as long as I get enough of the good soluble fiber with it. Sicne soy is considered good can I consume as much soy protein as I like? Thanks for the help!

speaking of pancakes... new
      #48830 - 03/08/04 07:28 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I just LOVE pancakes! I gave up the butter a long while back then still had some cramping even with taking lactose for milk that might be in them (especially in restaurants) so next I gave up real syrup thinking it was the sugar and went with sugar free, still cramps. Now hear that the sugar free stuff us bad. Any pancake eating solutions? Plain is my next thought or maybe a little jam? What can a person eat out for breakfast. Pancakes and french toast are bad, eggs are bad. I've even stuffed a banana in my purse and ordered just white plain toast. Boring.

Re: speaking of pancakes... new
      #48831 - 03/08/04 07:38 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

When I eat out with my family occassionaly for breakfast, I make to ask for egg beaters for my scramble egg lite on the oil or no oil. sourdough toast hold the butter. Ask if they have turkey bacon, if so order it and take the excess oil off. I found that sometimes I can order a belgain waffle plain and do okay with it but not all can. I always take along a banana or peach. Also I have a mini personal ice chest that I always pack with me before going shopping for the day or out, I pack rice milk and soy yogurt, safe rice chex, etc safe food and even sourdough bread. I never want to get caught not being able to enjoy myself. How often as working moms or single working people st to do that, I take full advantage!!I learn to ask restuarants to tailor to my needs and if they can't I don't patronage them.

#48833 - 03/08/04 07:51 PM
crampgirl

I've never looked at the ingredients in egg beaters, do you know what they consist of? Assumed since they were fake eggs it must have something bad in it. I always pack a mini ice chest myself and it is always in my back seat, just in case I can't find safe foods out and throw a snack in my purse too. Very good idea!

Egg Beaters new
      #48836 - 03/08/04 08:24 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Egg Beaters are 99% egg whites... I think the other 1% is coloring to make them look like "real" eggs. They're perfectly safe! I use them all the time with no problem.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Egg Beaters new
      #48837 - 03/08/04 08:27 PM
crampgirl

Thanks for the info!

#48856 - 03/09/04 03:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey there. There are LOADS of French Toast recipes in Eating For IBS and I posted a recipe for low-fat pancakes on the Recipe board for Pancake Day. Sugar shouldn't be much of a problem (unless of course you have diabetes or problems with blood sugar) - I adore my Maple Syrup. So eat up!

#48857 - 03/09/04 03:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There're loads of healthy things you can eat with IBS - you have to try and think differently! I used to adore salads, so I know what it's like. I snack on Vanilla Soy Desserts, Rice Crackers, tuna sandwiches, low fat crisps (chips?)...loads of stuff!

I'm surprised you're having trouble gaining weight! I have the opposite problem. You can have as much soy as you want, you can eat loads of chicken, turkey and fish (after all you want low-fat protein really). You can eat loads of carbs with them and if you grind up nuts, you could sprinkle them on food. When you're stabilised, try stuff out cos everyone tolerates some things differently... I can still eat a little smooth peanut butter.

Btw, 5 small meals a day is really good for your IBS - just make sure they all have a soluble fibre base.

#48864 - 03/09/04 04:42 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Have you ever tried fruit on your pancakes? If it's nice and sweet I don't use syrup at all. At home you can make fruit purees- really ripe pears are great on pancakes. In restauraunts sometimes they serve berries etc, which is also good. MMMM! If you can't do maple syrup, have you tried agave nectar or honey? Those would work too. And as for an egg substitue, I make pancakes at home with ground flax seed as an egg replacer (1tbsp flax + 2 TBSP water+1 egg) and add a little applesauce (about 1/2 cup) to replace some of the liquid. Works great!
Laura

Aunt Jemima new
      #48880 - 03/09/04 06:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

That's right, I forgot to mention that Aunt Jemimas pancakes are low fat enough to be perfectly safe if you use applesauce in place of the oil, soy milk in place of the milk, and Egg Beaters in place of the egg. It's so easy to whip up, so it's something to remember if it turns out you can tolerate pancakes.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Egg Beaters new
      #48930 - 03/09/04 09:13 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Everyone,
I use the off-brands of EggBeaters. It's so easy to use!
Happy cooking,
Cloudygirl

#49018 - 03/09/04 01:16 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I agree with LauraS above -- CARBS GOOD, CARBS GOOD, CARBS GOOD!!! That's my mantra!! What's healthy for other people is NOT always healthy for IBS-ers.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#49058 - 03/09/04 03:12 PM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I, too, have a terrible time gaining weight. I have the "D" IBS, and everything fatty goes right through me. Someone else mentioned pasta, rice, potatoes...lots of carbs. That's about it for me, too. I can eat plain boneless, skinless breasts and certain types of fish. The fish has to be pretty bland like flounder or tilapia. I just squeeze some lemon juice on it. When I am really feeling badly, like lately after having stomach flu for two weeks, I have definitely stuck to carbs. Poached eggs seem to agree with me better than any other type like scrambled, etc. Good luck. I'm trying to gain back the ten pounds I lost in the fall when my IBS kicked in again, and the five more I lost from the flu! Very frustrating! I, too, want to start lifting weights and getting some muscle tone, but I am too thin and weak right now to even start. Hang in there.

#49060 - 03/09/04 03:17 PM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I have the D IBS, but for some reason I can buy the Aunt Jemima frozen small pancakes, and they don't seem to bother me. If I really am having a bad day and cramps, I usually won't try them b/c they are sometimes difficult to digest. But usually they are fine. I just put some of my mom's homemade peach jelly on them. I gave up the butter or margarine completely. I can eat poached eggs better than any other type, but I wouldn't try them everyday. I used to eat plain bagels, but for some reason I think they were a big part of my problem. Once I gave them up and went to the pancakes, I felt better; however, I am taking my medication regularly again, too.

EXACT same position new
      #49067 - 03/09/04 03:32 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Hey Monkey,

When I first joined the IBS board I was in the same position. I was eating no flour based carbs lots of protein bars. I constantly posted questions about how to get enough protein etc. I learned to relax a little and realized that as much as it sucks (and that's the truth to put it mildly!) I just might not be able to get the amount I wouold like. I def. go in stages thought- sometimes I accept this and sometimes I get really upset. I'm in one of those stages now b/c I feel like i haven't been as strong when lifting and no matter what I can't get enough protein. it's too hard to get in soluble fiber and protein and fruit/vegetable. This is just too much food in one sitting for me esp. for a snack! I eat luna bars and I don't think they bother me. although my stomach is NEVER completly perfect but I don't think it's the bars b/c I've stopped eating them and did't help! My best advice is sneak is small amount whenever you can. I like veggie sausage patties they're small so don't get to full but 10 grams protein. Sorry to ramble but I can't tell you houw much I relate. I'm a personal trainer and sometimes clients asking me questions and I hate that often what I preach (although I'm not a dietician and can't give nut. advice) is not what I can practice! UGHHHHHHHH! good luck and keep me posted on any suggestions!

#49107 - 03/09/04 05:33 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

So good soy beverage is great to have ,it's full of soy protein and there are yves vegan meats. They contain lots of soy protien. Really good and healthy.

#49133 - 03/09/04 07:35 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

You might want to try seitan (made from wheat). It's got a lot of protein and is great on sandwiches or in sauces, etc. basically any way that you would use meat. It also come is flavors.
I also eat luna bars and I'm just fine with them. I can also have a few nuts in my cereal or as a snack with something else. I also put a bit of peanut butter on my sourdough toast.

As far as I know (I'm not a chemist or a nutritionist), plants are the original source of protein, processed by animals, then you eat the animal. So even when you eat your soluble fibers and fruits and veggies, you're still getting protein! just not as much as in a power bar....but real food tastes better anyway

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2896 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4227

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review