All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Trying to gain weight with IBS
      #48556 - 03/07/04 11:47 AM
monkey

Reged: 03/07/04

I recently found out I have IBS, I suspected I did for a long time and thought I was doing the right thing with eating a lot of fiber and healthy foods but I guess I was eating insoluble fiber which is bad. Now that I'm changing my diet I notice I can't eat most of the things I normally ate. I eat about 5 small meals a day and I lift weights a lot and I'm always looking to gain muscle mass and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do this with IBS. Is soy protein drinks OK as long as I don't mix them with dairy? Without dairy, nuts, whole wheat products, peanut butter, and granola I'm left without anything healthy to eat during the day, what would you suggest? You all seem to be better educated on the subject than me so hopefully someone can chime in and give me an idea or two. I hope this information given on this site is accurate, it'd be nice not to have to worry about deathly stomach pains anymore. Thanks in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trying to gain weight with IBS new
      #48562 - 03/07/04 02:34 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi Monkey!
I've been struggling with weight loss too and the only thing that has worked is eating more carbs (potatoes, yams, pasta, rice, quinoa). I try to bake muffins and make pancakes for snacks. This seems to be working- now I have a little belly! I know for putting on muscle mass they say to eat alot of protein, but when my protein intake was higher it was too fatty and my IBS acted up.
Good luck!
Laura

Check the IBS diet FAQ - this exact topic is addressed. -nt- new
      #48574 - 03/07/04 03:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Silly question....but please answer! new
      #48635 - 03/07/04 09:53 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

This is going to be a strange question, but is your name Richard?? I have a good friend who wants to keep building muscle mass and drinks soy tofu protein shakes, and his nickname has always been "Monkey". In fact, he has it on the back of his car. If not, my bad! It would just be great if the two of us had this in common! Sorry for the silly post.

Thanks,
Jen

Re: Silly question....but please answer! new
      #48802 - 03/08/04 04:49 PM
monkey

Nope sorry I'm not him, I just like Monkey's

Re: Check the IBS diet FAQ - this exact topic is addressed. -nt- new
      #48803 - 03/08/04 04:52 PM
monkey

Heather,
Is eating a lot of protein going to cause problems with IBS or will it be ok as long as I get enough of the good soluble fiber with it. Sicne soy is considered good can I consume as much soy protein as I like? Thanks for the help!

speaking of pancakes... new
      #48830 - 03/08/04 07:28 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I just LOVE pancakes! I gave up the butter a long while back then still had some cramping even with taking lactose for milk that might be in them (especially in restaurants) so next I gave up real syrup thinking it was the sugar and went with sugar free, still cramps. Now hear that the sugar free stuff us bad. Any pancake eating solutions? Plain is my next thought or maybe a little jam? What can a person eat out for breakfast. Pancakes and french toast are bad, eggs are bad. I've even stuffed a banana in my purse and ordered just white plain toast. Boring.

Re: speaking of pancakes... new
      #48831 - 03/08/04 07:38 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

When I eat out with my family occassionaly for breakfast, I make to ask for egg beaters for my scramble egg lite on the oil or no oil. sourdough toast hold the butter. Ask if they have turkey bacon, if so order it and take the excess oil off. I found that sometimes I can order a belgain waffle plain and do okay with it but not all can. I always take along a banana or peach. Also I have a mini personal ice chest that I always pack with me before going shopping for the day or out, I pack rice milk and soy yogurt, safe rice chex, etc safe food and even sourdough bread. I never want to get caught not being able to enjoy myself. How often as working moms or single working people st to do that, I take full advantage!!I learn to ask restuarants to tailor to my needs and if they can't I don't patronage them.

Re: speaking of pancakes... new
      #48833 - 03/08/04 07:51 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I've never looked at the ingredients in egg beaters, do you know what they consist of? Assumed since they were fake eggs it must have something bad in it. I always pack a mini ice chest myself and it is always in my back seat, just in case I can't find safe foods out and throw a snack in my purse too. Very good idea!

Egg Beaters new
      #48836 - 03/08/04 08:24 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Egg Beaters are 99% egg whites... I think the other 1% is coloring to make them look like "real" eggs. They're perfectly safe! I use them all the time with no problem.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 993 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4238

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review