All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bloating and refined starches
      #47795 - 03/03/04 05:24 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Refined starches like bread and pasta for example can make people more bloated than whole grains like oatmeal for example.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bloating and refined starches new
      #47939 - 03/04/04 11:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I wouldn't take this as gospel. Bloating can actually be worse with insoluble fiber for IBS folks (and whole grains are in that category). There can also be big differences from person to person in terms of which grains (refined and unrefined both) are most and least tolerable. And for soluble fiber, the more you eat it and your gut adjusts, the less likely you'll have any bloating from it at all. Certain soluble fiber even increase the good gut flora in your body, which actively reduces bloating and gas, and soluble fiber would be in both refined and unrefined grains.

For general health, whole grains are more nutritious than refined grains. But for IBS folks, refined grains are almost always more tolerable and LESS likely to provoke symptoms, including bloating. The key is to use refined grains as your soluble fiber foundation so that you can carefully and safely add in whole grains for their nutritional benefits.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#47949 - 03/04/04 11:19 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Angel,
I agree with Heather. I never get bloated from refined starches (white bread, white rice, etc.) and do have problems with whole grains sometimes. Perhaps what's true for most people isn't good for others, such as IBS'ers.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#47992 - 03/04/04 01:08 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

this is an interesting thread.

I keep a food journal and have noticed that on the days I over consume bread (like 1/4 to 1/3 of a loaf ) I did have bloating/gas later in the day. I thought it might be because the portion was just too huge.

janet

#48050 - 03/04/04 05:21 PM
till

I know what you mean. I cut out bread and pasta and now I have less bloating. I didn't even know that refined starches can cause bloating. Gluten free products can cause less bloating too.

#48051 - 03/04/04 05:25 PM
till

Well, I'm one of thoses people that get bloated very easily. I know there are people that can handle refined starches just not everyone.

#48053 - 03/04/04 05:32 PM
till

I have trouble with refined starches. My IBS is so severe that I trouble eating but I've noticed bread and pasta makes bloating worse.

#48065 - 03/04/04 06:00 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

Today I had two slices of bread and I'm doing fine, so I don't think "refined starches" causes bloating in me. I just noticed that when I ate a LOT of bread (too much food in general) I had the bloating and gas.

janet

#48072 - 03/04/04 06:10 PM
till

IBS is definately worse if you eat too much. Only small portions are ok.

#48074 - 03/04/04 06:18 PM
till

Oops I posted my message wrong. I meant to say oatmeal which is a whole grain and soluble fiber can make some people with bloating be less bloated. Since oatmeal has magnesium and potassium which reduces water retention. Sorry I didn't post that message right. I didn't mean whole grains that are insoluble fiber since I know insoluble is hard to have when you have IBS especially severe IBS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1829 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review