All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Link between IBS, chronic fatigue syndromes, and sinusitis
      #47637 - 03/02/04 06:33 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I've read there's a potential link between chronic fatigue (fibromyalgia...that is a CFS, right?) and IBS. Now some are saying CFS may actually be a result of sinusitis. A few of us on the board with IBS have also had chronic sinusitis. I wonder if these things are realted...

Here is an article I found linking CFS and sinusitis. What do you guys think? (Btw, I have ANOTHER sinus infection, fever, and bronchitus...started Saturday afternoon...today is the 1st time I've had energy to sit up at the computer!!)

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Question for Ruchie new
      #47640 - 03/02/04 06:43 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Hi Ruchie!
I'm really interested because I've been fighting a sinus infection for months now. I just finished another round of antibiotics, but I feel like giving up! It's with me all the time! I'm very interested in this! Are you on antibiotics a lot, too? And decongestants, antihistimines and all that? In the past I've had bronchitis and pneumonia, too, as a result of sinusitis. Have you ever found any home remedies for sinus problems? I've had a sore throat from it for weeks, and nothing is helping me. My daughter has a lot of problems like this, too. She has a cold, ear infections, and sinus problems constantly. (She's 23 and has fought this stuff her whole life, just like me.) I'm new to the boards and this is the first I've heard of a possible connection. I know how draining these infections can be! When I had pneumonia, I became so depleted nutritionally; I had to drink Boost (which is like Ensure), for two months just to build myself back up. But, you probably already know how horribly draining these things are. Do you have to do things to build yourself up, too? I just wanted to tell you that I really feel for you. I hope you get to feeling well very, very soon!! btw, I just finished a round of Omnicef and I'm wondering what antibiotic you are on! I felt better after taking it, but it didn't kick it completely. When I had pneumonia, I was on three rounds before I finally overcame it. I'm just really sorry to hear you're ill. Sorry for rambling on and on. (It's just so frustrating!)
Terri

Oop,s I forgot to post the webcite...here it is! new
      #47641 - 03/02/04 06:45 PM
Snow for Sarala

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/08/030814072847.htm

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Link between IBS, chronic fatigue syndromes, and sinusitis new
      #47648 - 03/02/04 07:33 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I find it interesting that several of you have had sinusitis. I had it for over a year, got weaker and weaker and into emergency ward 2-3 x with rapid heartbeat, horrible headaches, dizziness, off and on feverishness and just exhaustion and of course, they didn't know what was wrong. Told them I had had 3-4 colds during the year which isn't at all normal for me. Finally while laying on my stomach sleeping one night everything broke loose and I brought in the evidence for the doctor to see I was right. My iron was down to only 8 or 9 which is normally over 100. I was on iron tabs 3x a day for months and off work to get my strength up along with antibiotics. I keep running into doctors that don't have a clue.

Re: Oop,s I forgot to post the webcite...here it is! new
      #47655 - 03/03/04 12:42 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Wow, this is really interesting. I've had chronic sinusitis since I was nine...I've had my head x-rayed at least 25 times! (not that that is necessarily a good thing). I too have been on antibiotics a lot, to the point now where my doc is really hesistant to prescribe anything, only if the sinusues are really bad, otherwise it's up to me and the decongestants. I take an antihistamine everyday and frequently have to take decongests and Buckley's on top of that. I wonder...if the sinusitis came first, since so many people have to be on antibiotics for so long with that and antiobiotics mess with your gut...maybe that's what contributes to the IBS link? Just a thought. I too get a lot of colds and bronchitis so I'm finding this very interesting. It's terrible, because my work is very unsympathetic about me missing a lot of days. They said they did a survey and the average person is only sick 2.4/days a year, and I'm sick so much more than that Anyone else with the sinus/gut connection out there?
Kelly

#47656 - 03/03/04 01:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey Ruchie, hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself.

This sounds like really interesting research. I had sinusitus lots growing up and now I have IBS and fibro (I think). Makes some sort of sense. The IBS and fibro are def linked - the fibro only got really bad after I developed IBS.

Get better soon girlfriend!

Love Linz

Re: sinusitis! new
      #47662 - 03/03/04 05:13 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Thanks for that post Ruchie! I have had TERRIBLE sinus problems for almost three years, and IBS for longer (10). Did you guys notice the sidebar of that article that Ruchie posted, a link to a Moyo clinic study showing that sinusitis is linked to a fungus (candida etc)? This might be an important clue for us to get better- I'm going to check it out with my naturopathic doc. For two years I've been trying to figure out which allergies are causing my problems, but have sinus flare-ups that don't make sense (no pollen, no forbidden foods). I was on antibiotics constantly when I was a kid, and I think this can make one more succeptible to fungus overgrowth since it wipes out good flora.
Anyone tried an anti-fungal treatment? Any results?

fibro, CFS, IBS, sinuses... what a party! new
      #47665 - 03/03/04 05:54 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi, Ruchie. Glad you're feeling a little better!

This is really interesting. I'm glad you pointed it out. I don't have sinus problems, but I see many people with IBS do!

Just to point out, though: CFS and fibro aren't clinically the same thing (as of studies right now), but they are linked somehow. And both co-exist with IBS frequently! Argh! Lotsa people with CFS have fibro, lots of fibro patients have CFS, lots of CFSers have IBS... you get the idea. I've been diagnosed with CFS and as you know, I've sure got the IBS!

Anyway, keep positive. Hope your sinus stuff gets much better, quickly!

--------------------

#47669 - 03/03/04 06:46 AM
Heather Fraser

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: Ohio

I think you are right. I too have read articles about this link and believe it's definitely correct in my case. IBS all my life and sinus problems all my life. Chronic fatigue the last few years. But when I started the Eating for IBS Diet and have my IBS under control the chronic fatigue is a thing of the past and my sinus problems are getting better also. I feel like the "Poster Child" for the Eating for IBS Diet. The difference in my life is like night and day. I actually went somewhere new last week and did not even think about finding the location of the bathroom - something that was always the first thing I did.

--------------------
Heather

Re: Question for Ruchie new
      #47675 - 03/03/04 07:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Terri,

Thakns for responding!!!

I have also been on antibiotic after antibiotic. I am onomnicef right now! Actually, I just got back from the ENT. He's putting me on PREDNISONE! I HATE it!

I feel for you and your daughter too...

Sorry...I was gonna reposnd o everyone...I'm feeling dizzy...I'll write more soon...

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Edited by Ruchie (03/03/04 10:39 AM)

Reply for Ruchie new
      #47688 - 03/03/04 07:55 AM
MissS

Ruchie,
I feel for you also. I really, really do! It gets so tiresome, doesn't it? I told myself yesterday that I was just going to give up on this respiratory stuff and just try to pretend that it doesn't exist and that I'm normal. But, it wasn't long before I was in my medicine cabinet and kitchen pantry; searching and looking for ANYTHING that might help. I found the salt and some saline nasal spray. I just also finished a bottle of steroid nasal spray, but it didn't help me at all.
Well, Ruchie, I hope the prednisone and antibiotic brings you the help you need. Keep fighting and let us know how you're doing. We'll be thinking of you and praying for you as well!!
Terri

#47788 - 03/03/04 04:43 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Ruchie hope your feeling a little better today!? In the past 2 years I have developed sinusits as well. Just started my 4 time with dealing with it. Started at the beginning of Feb. Started using Tylenol Sinus Day/Night tablets and using Afrin nasal spray. Used both of these (couldn't get into Dr.)until last Friday when I finally seen my Dr. He put me back on Nasonex,nasal spray. He told me if this didn't work to go back and he would get me an antibiotic,which he doesn't like to prescribe! Anyways with the nasonex and taking tylenol sinus I seem to be getting better. I hold a warm cloth over my face so it loosens up everything. And I find the steam from the shower helps. Sometimes I boil water and put in a bowl then put a towel over my head and steam my face and this loosens up everything as well.I don't own a facial spa. Try this it may loosen up things!! Ever since I started IBS I definitely found out that my body takes in every virus going around and takes longer to get rid of it. I just try and eat healthy and nourishing foods and wash my hands a whole lot more. Take care of yourself. Sue ps how are the hem. doing. Have the gone away?

This is terrific! You should really be proud of yourself. -nt- new
      #47791 - 03/03/04 04:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

suzyq new
      #47907 - 03/04/04 10:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

suzyq,

Wow! It sounds like you have a GREAT doc! Mine is medicine happy Mind if I share your doc?

I take steam and a vaporizer, I use heat, the works. And now I'm on tons of strong meds. If this doesn't work, G-d forbid, I have to go in for surgery. But, I guess as long as I feel better...that's the main thing!

I hope all of these things help your infection to cease. PLEASE let me know if it does!!

Take care!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Heather Fraser new
      #47909 - 03/04/04 10:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

Wow! GOOD FOR YOU! It sounds like all your hard work is paying off! I'm so thrilled that you're feeling better!

Thanks so much for your post and for caring...I'll keep you posted!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: fibro, CFS, IBS, sinuses... what a party! new
      #47913 - 03/04/04 10:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

Jen,

You have a great sense of humor!

I am doing a bit better...thanks so much!

So you have CFS? How does it manifest itself? I give you a LOT of credit dealing with CFS AND IBS to boot! And you have such a great outlook...you should be proud!

Thanks SO MUCH for the well wishes...I'll let you know how I'm doing!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

crampgirl...I agree bout' those clueless docs... new
      #47917 - 03/04/04 10:29 AM
Snow for Sarala

Hi there! I LOVE your name! I can also relate...

Doctors. They really don't have a clue most of the time. They just dole out meds...or tell you it's in your head...because they don't have the answers.

I am SO SORRY you had to suffer! I'm right there with you! They are considering sinus surgery if the meds I'm on don't help...but they on't even know WHY I'm so sick or the CAUSE of all my infections! It's VERY FRUSTRATING! (Did they discover the cause of your sinusitis?)
Which antibiotics did they give you?

I hope you're doing better now...

Thanks for posting!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Linz, you're so sweet new
      #47918 - 03/04/04 10:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for your caring post! So you had sinusitis too? Do they know what caused it? Are you over it now? How do you get tested for Fibro? (Have you been tested...I seem to recall you mentioning this in post a while back?)

How's everything else with you? Wedding plans? Job?

Thanks again Linz...

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Reply for Ruchie new
      #47920 - 03/04/04 10:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

Teecee,

It is SO TIRING! I couldn't agree more! I've been down "denial road" myself...but I, like you, don't get too far.

How's your daughter coping? Has she found any relief?

We're praying for you too Teecee! Thanks for being so sweet! Btw, are you getting your IBS under control?

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ibs and antibiotics...for Kelly new
      #47922 - 03/04/04 10:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

There's TOTALY a link!

I was on antibiotics as a babe for chronic ear infections. I got IBS when I was 5 (or younger!) Sinsus probs started a few years later. What docs don't consider enough is the adverse effects these meds have on our guts!

The good news is...we have HEATHER!

I hope you're doing better...do you still get sinusitis a lot? Do they know the cause?

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

LauraS! new
      #47924 - 03/04/04 10:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

PLEASE tell me what your naturopath says!

I have tried lots of stuff for my yeast infections (which I developed from the antibiotics!) It def. can, I think, make us more susceptible to fungal overgrowth amongst a number of other things. I get a test done before I take antibiotics to make sure I have an infection and that I'm not taking them for no VERY GOOD reason! (It may be too late for me since I've been on so many...but the rest of you can still save yourselves!)

Let me know what you find out!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ibs and antibiotics...for Kelly new
      #47929 - 03/04/04 10:44 AM
Vicam

Thanks for your info Ruchie,
Come to think of it, I started with chronic ear problems as a child too, it wasn't until I got slightly older that the sinuses came into play, and it wasn't until about 2 years ago (around 19) that the docs decided that maybe giving me so many antibiotics wasn't the best thing to do Anyway, they still don't know the root cause, and they don't seem to crazy to identify it either...one doc said it's likely my severe allergies (I'm allergic to just about everything) that cause the congestion despite taking allergy meds. I can keep it under control mostly with my new best fried - Advil Cold and Sinus - but again, I get concerned about taking that all the time. But, at least for the advil part my gut gets it all the time anyways (I have severe endometriosis) so there's not much I can do to eliminate that. But I have found your info really great. Have you ever considered sinus drainage surgery?
Kelly

#47931 - 03/04/04 10:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Sounds like we're twins Have you had surgery? If they don't get my prob under control with this bout of meds, they plan to go under the knife. I'm not into that at all!

I hope OUR sinuses get well soon!

Please let me know if you find something that helps...I'll do the same!

btw, what is endometriosis?

Take care!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

REPLY FOR RUCHIE new
      #48011 - 03/04/04 02:41 PM
MissS

Ruchie,
Yes, my IBS is so much better. I can't hardly believe it!! I've been following the advice here, and it's changed how I take care of myself and how I view this chronic condition. (I don't worry as much about every little changing detail of this condition, and I'm trying not to think about it all the time!) Thanks for asking!

I've been wondering how you're doing with your sinus infection and bronchitis. Right now, my daughter and I are the same as we were with our sinus and throat problems. (But, no lung involvement!
We call each other everyday to see how one another is doing and it's always the same thing, "sore, stuffy throat, stuffy nose and yukky drainage." Plus, she's ALWAYS tired!
We both recently finished antibiotics and neither one of us wants to go back to the dr. for this again. So, we're just waiting to see what's going to happen. You know how that is, don't you? You hope and hope that it will clear, and then gradually, everything just gets worse. AGAIN!!! We're just trying saline sprays, decongestants, antihistimines, and pain relievers.

Are you feeling better? I sure hope so! I'm really very interested in how you're doing; especially since your story sounds so familiar.
Do you have allergies, too? I'm allergic to citrus and I haven't been tested for anything else. I also have asthma, but it's mild.
My daughter is still plagued with constant ear infections, too. Do you ever have that? I guess I'm talking way too much here, but you're about the same age as my daughter, and my maternal instincts want to fix things up and make you all better!
I know one thing, though, no matter how hard this gets, we can't give up; and frankly, it helps me to know that you're out there somewhere and you know just how this crud feels! You're not alone, either, Ruchie; I've thought about you and how you must be feeling! Please keep me posted on how you're doing, okay? I'm anxiously waiting to hear that you're much better.
BTW, Have you had any changes in your ibs symptoms since the bronchitis? When I had pneumonia, my symptoms were way out of control, so I just wondered.

(p.s. so, as if planning our lives around our intestines wasn't bad enough, we have to hope we'll be able to breathe and swallow, too?? haha)

Re: Ruchie! new
      #48015 - 03/04/04 03:00 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

OK Ruchie, I will pass on what my doc says! I have a consult a week from today, and I'll let you know!

Love everyone here! new
      #48034 - 03/04/04 03:50 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Hi Ruchie. When I was trying to decide on a sign-on name, somehow crampgirl just came to me. Hope it doesn't sound negative, just trying to add some humor. Love to see your smiling face along with everyone elses. Maybe I'll get brave enough to put mine on here too one day. When I first considered reading IBS sites thought it would get me too depressed but you are all encouraging and positive. Even those of you who don't think they are being positive. If you were negative you wouldn't even bother trying come on here and help yourselves. We all get down in the dumps and it is nice to talk to kindred spirits to bring us up and care. I think the most empathetic people are people who have some type of illness as they can understand the best. So glad I joined.

As far as sinusitis goes, sorry - can't remember what I took but it all started with a pretty nasty cold. I've been sinus problem free for years up until a few mos ago when (you know the usual symptoms) I finally asked the doc for some antibiotics. Felt better for a while but think it is coming back. Headache every morning when I wake up, draining, bad taste in my mouth. My old doc retired so new doc tries to push the nasal spray as the cure but it isn't working. Just haven't wanted to go back and start all over again with more drugs as it makes the IBS worse so biding my time till I can't stand it. I'm so sorry you got all this stuff so young. I was very health till around 40 (16 yrs of it now)

CFS new
      #48035 - 03/04/04 04:02 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Glad you're feeling a little better. I, on the other hand, feel junky today. I've got a full-blown IBS flare-up kickin'! (AND I had to go to the GYN this morning for my annual. GEESH! Told her it was totally up to her if she wanted to do a rectal... She opted out! )

Anyway, I have CFS, supposedly. I say "supposedly" 'cause I don't know how thrilled I am with that diagnosis on top of the IBS. That's a lot to take in, in just one year. I was actually feeling a bit sorry for myself earlier, so thanks for the kind words. I really needed them! (Yesterday was my bday and I was really angry and sad about how limited my diet is right now! I don't surrender to self pity much, but couldn't seem to run from it yesterday. I just wanted some stupid "real" icecream or to be able to just have a Diet Coke!) So, thanks. You actually just cheered me up without even knowing it!

The CFS mostly just manifests as overwhelming exhaustion. I have always been one of those 8-hour a nite sleepers (or I got cranky!), but now I feel sick if I'm not getting 12. RIDICULOUS! Naturally, I don't get that often. What else....? Oh, I have the cluster symptoms. It's the "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" thing. Are my migraines and IBS from the CFS? Is that why I'm achy a lot of the time? Who knows. Basically all I'm sure about is over the last 2 years all I can do is wait for my next nap or for my 8:30 bedtime!

Ah, well. That's life. Take care of yourself!!!! Get lotsa rest and baby those sinuses, Ruchie! And go read a trashy magazine. It'll either help wonders or make you sleepy and drift into a nap. Either way, you can't lose!

*hugs* right back atcha!

--------------------

#48122 - 03/04/04 11:24 PM
Vicam

Hey Ruchie,
No, I haven't had surgery but they've suggested it...to be truthful I'm not too thrilled about the idea of surgery in the head region I haven't found anything greatly helpful, of all the decongestants I've always found Advil Cold and Sinus to be the best...and I have a magic bag (a bad that you heat up with herbs and stuff in it) that really helps when I put it on my head, but no cure all
Endometriosis is a gynecological disorder where the uterine lining grows outside of the uterus (i.e. on the outside of the uterus, on the ovaries and surrounding organs). I had exploratory abdominal surgery to find it, and it's another pretty lousy thing because there's no cure for it either, just lots of pain meds. I think it's another one of those things a lot of doctors are pretty clueless about...mine certainly were. And it's a good thing to know about because a lot of the symptoms of IBS can mimic endometriosis and vice versa because both cause horrible abdominal pains. Or you can be lucky like me and have both!
I hope you feel better soon too, and keep me up to date as well if you find anything that works really well!
Kelly

Re: Linz, you're so sweet new
      #48131 - 03/05/04 02:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey hon!

I had a couple of bouts of sinusitus as a teenager, but nothing as bad as you. If I get the slightest hint of a cold, my sinus' get really blocked, but then I just take Sudafed. Dunno really what caused it, but I had gluey ear syndrome when I was little and it all seems to be linked.

I haven't been tested for Fibro yet - I'm waiting for a gap in my schedule! I think you need to see a rheumatologist who tests for key tender spots (as I generally ache all over, that shouldn't be hard!). But I'm pretty sure I've got it - I've got all the "required" symptoms.

Everyelse is going ok - 'cept that I hate my job!!! Wedding plans are fine - I'm going shopping with my bridesmaids for their dresses tomorrow which should be fun . The HTB and I are buying a house and I can't wait to move in. Just waiting for solicitor search results and to get the electrics/heating tested. It's getting stressful though - the is our first house, so we know NOTHING and now the whole chain is waiting on us! Aaargh! Fingers crossed!

Hope you feel better soon. I need a holiday to stabilise my IBS, but that's not likely! I'm so fed up of being bloated and achey whatever I eat!

Linz

Re: suzyq new
      #48272 - 03/05/04 11:47 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Ruchie, I hope your feeling a little better today!! If you move here to Northern Ontario,Canada (not today though we are having a major snow strom) I will definitely share my Dr. He is great!! The nasonex spray seems to have helped quite a bit.Also the tylenol sinus tablets; mind you though I have not had to take a tylenol in a few days. Jut use the spray in the am. and I'm good to go.(crossing my fingers). Guess I will not need the antibiotics!! I don't know if I mentioned this before but MY Dr. told me that if a person is on antibiotics to many times they don't work.Your body becomes immune to them.How much more antibiotics do you have to take?? When your finished this prescription opt for trying without them. If you can. Maybe you do need the surgery to clear everything out. Sorry don't mean to scare you. I'm new to sinustis too. I was reading somewhere that Rhinitis can mimick sinustis(sp),same symptoms but cause is allergies;dust,ragweed,... etc. Ask your Dr. about it? Take care of yourself. Sue

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1080 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review