Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flaxseed Oil
      #47579 - 03/02/04 02:58 PM
ChristineT

Reged: 03/01/04

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your help.

Does anyone take Flaxseed oil? I read that it helps the intestines to heal if you have IBS. Also, I know you wrote in your book Heather that oil brings on an attack. What the deal with flax oil. Good, or no good, and it so I know you where saying we should stay with 25% fat in our diet. Over all, because I use a tea. of olive oil & ving. on my sandwich, and cook sometimes with a Tb. of oil, but if we where to include flax oil in our diet is this a total of 3-Tb. of oil per. day?

Is one of the signs that it's not good gas?

Thanks,
Christine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flaxseed Oil new
      #47611 - 03/02/04 03:32 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

Ive wondered about his myself and ask before but really got no responses....It is a good thing to take for the heart also...especially if someone is prone to having high colesteral(sp) but I too have read thats its good for the intestines
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,783,00.html#Health_Benefits
http://www.healthandage.com/html/res/com/ConsSupplements/FlaxseedOilcs.html#Uses

--------------------
Gretchen

#47625 - 03/02/04 04:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - flax is a very healthy oil, but like all fats too much of it can trigger IBS problems. There is nothing to "heal" in the intestines with IBS. Flax has omega-3 oils, which are anti-inflammatory, and this can be beneficial for folks with inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's. But there is no inflammation with IBS at all.

You can add flax to baked goods, to hot cereal, to pastas - however you'd normally add olive or canola oils. Just keep your dose to under 1 T at a time, and make sure you have a good soluble fiber foundation.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

flaxseed oil. interrrrrrresting.... new
      #47667 - 03/03/04 05:57 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I have read studies that flaxseed oil is also beneficial for those suffering from depression, due to the Omega 3 fatty acids.

Interrrrresting.

--------------------

#47708 - 03/03/04 10:26 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I heard or read somewhere it was good for constipation. I'm IBS C so I started taking two very LARGE capsules, not sure what milligram or anything like that, I can check when I get home if someone wants to know. I've been taking them about a month and haven't noticed any changes at all. I'll probably finish the bottle I baught but not sure if I would buy anymore?! Do I need to take more?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review