All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
issue with carbohydrates
      #46900 - 02/27/04 08:41 AM
stacie_mathews

Reged: 02/27/04

I see that rice, potatoes and pasta are listed as safe foods for IBS sufferers. However, these are some of the foods that make my symptoms worse. Does anyone else have this problem?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: issue with carbohydrates new
      #46914 - 02/27/04 09:15 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi; I have a problem withj chucken and fish sometimes. They are supposed to be safe but dependung in how stable my stomach is when I have them, I have problems too.

#46919 - 02/27/04 09:34 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Staci: Yes I have problems, especially with potatoes.

#46973 - 02/27/04 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Stacie - Well, first off, no matter what, it's not the carbs in and of themselves that are causing problems. Complex carbs are in virtually all fruits, grains, vegetables, beans, nuts - if it's a plant, it's got carbs. These are the essential building blocks of nutrition and what your body runs on for fuel.

What happens when you eat just plain white rice, or a plain baked potato? I'd be wondering if it isn't something you're putting on these foods. Potatoes are in the nightshade family, and for folks with fibromyalgia (which just about always includes IBS as a component) nightshade plants can cause problems. Plain pasta is refined wheat, and has gluten, so if you problems with this that could point to celiac. But white rice is one of the most tolerable grains in the world, not just for IBS but for food allergies and other digestive disorders. Are you eating these foods plain and having problems?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 733 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 623

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review