Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather - Your Comment on Psyllium
      #46439 - 02/24/04 03:58 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Heather,
I'm new to this site and to your book and I haven't really had a chance to go through much yet, but I noticed that you mentioned something in one of your posts about psyllium and how it's not good...I don't know how to link to the post but it was on 12/18/03 and titled Re: Heather-your opinion svp on detoxification and cleansing. Anyways, I take metamucil regularily which has psyllium in it and was hoping I could find out why you were saying this isn't good...could it be making things worse in your opinion?
Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather - Your Comment on Psyllium new
      #46482 - 02/24/04 10:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kelly - Psyllium has some insoluble fiber in it, and it's one of the supplements that's most likely to cause gas and bloating. Many IBS folks find that other soluble fiber supplements are much more tolerable for them. But, if psyllium works for you, by all means stick with it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#46498 - 02/25/04 05:53 AM
djw

Reged: 02/11/04

I have to add that my doctor prescribed Metamucil for me, when she first diagnosed me with IBS 10 years ago. That's basically all she told me to do... and initially it really made a difference. I did notice over time, that I was getting more and more bloated, with more and more gas, and even acid reflux. (Now I know from Heather's info, that this is probably because I was using the low-sugar, orange-flavoured version of Metamucil.) Anyway, it got so bad, that I was quite reluctant to use Metamucil, which caused my IBS symptoms to flare (vicious circle). Then I found Heather's site a few months ago and read about the effects of psyllium on the body, and a light bulb went off in my head. I am now a happy user of acacia fiber. It's definitely gentler on my body. And it's such a fine powder that you don't notice it at all. Just wanted to pass this on, from a long-time Metamucil user that has recently made the switch

#46500 - 02/25/04 06:34 AM
Heather Fraser

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: Ohio

I too was told by my doctor to take Metamucil. Like in your case, it helped initially but later made me feel very bloated and uncomfortable. I started the Eating for IBS plan and taking the Acacia recently and the difference is like night and day. I feel like a new person already.

--------------------
Heather

#46502 - 02/25/04 06:50 AM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

djw, do you find that acacia bulks you up as good as metamucil

--------------------
Gretchen

#46520 - 02/25/04 08:13 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey DJW those are my initials! Small world.

I was also told my several MD's to use Metamucil. I could never stick with it due to the side effects. It wasn't until this website that I found out why. I'm also on Acacia now and taking 2 T throughout the day and am so happy. It keeps me from C and from D and I'm usually somewhere in the middle as long as I am eating right.

#46527 - 02/25/04 08:47 AM
quietwalker

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: West Texas

Heather ,I'm knew to the posting session.I find the message board is quiet confusing! Anyway I have just started using the Acacia with only 1/2 tsp a day .As all the others such as Bfiber,Met,Citi, I have been unable to use.Hope this works for me .As I also have Acid Ref. Can you tell me what the differents from the Acacia & BeneFiber.As it seems to be
alot like it? Thanks!

#46555 - 02/25/04 10:24 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quietwalker, acacia and Benefiber are both pure soluble fibers, they're just different substances. Benefiber is guar gum, and acacia is... acacia! Lol. They both occur naturally, unlike some fiber supplements that are synthetic. But some people just tolerate one better than the other.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Yep, Kree's right! new
      #46580 - 02/25/04 12:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Benefiber and Acacia are just different types of soluble fiber, from different sources. Benefiber is processed (it's partially hydrolized) and Acacia is not processed. The Acacia I carry is also certified organic, and Benefiber is not. Acacia is also considered a prebiotic, which means it encourages the growth of probiotics (good flora) in your gut. It's considered to have a good "gastrointestinal tolerance" which means it's much less likely to cause gas and bloating than many other fibers. I don't know if guar gum (Benefiber) is a prebiotic and I don't know what it's GI tolerance is considered to be.

There's complete info about Acacia here Acacia

Other than that, what matters is how you as an individual tolerate one soluble fiber supplement versus another. Keep trying till you find one you like, you tolerate, and are able to take at a good daily dose.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#46630 - 02/25/04 07:21 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello Heather,
Thanks for the info. Actually I find Metamucil doesn't really work for me, that's why I was asking. It's just that's what the doctors always push. I find that I have to take it in such small amounts so it doesn't upset the tummy, I doubt it's doing much. Other than the acacia, do you know of some other good sources of soluble fiber? Perhaps ones that can be bought in Canada?
Thanks!

#46681 - 02/26/04 08:07 AM
djw

Reged: 02/11/04

Nurturingkneads, I would say there is less bulk with the acacia, interesting that you brought this up ... I wonder why this is? Don't think it affects the "work" the soluble fiber is doing "down there". I still find the acacia is more gentle on me overall. Plus I like the fact that it is organic, and all natural. I started reading the ingredients in of-the-shelf soluble fiber products and got a little freaked out by all the additives!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1906

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review