All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why Does White Rice Make Me Sick?
      #45704 - 02/19/04 12:03 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't figure it out. Almost every time I eat white (organic) rice or plain white rice noodles, I get a sudden attack of D.

Sometimes I can get away with eating white rice for one meal, but then I get a D attack if I eat it at a second or third meal. (I can't eat brown rice at all because I get both D and severe stomach cramps from it.)

Does anyone have any idea why white rice should cause me such misery? I thought it was supposed to be one of the safest IBS foods and, as far as I know, I don't have an allergy to it.

I wonder if any other IBS people have trouble tolerating white rice. This has been plaguing me for a long time, but I keep hoping I'm just imagining my reaction to it. Alas, it is not my imagination.

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why Does White Rice Make Me Sick? new
      #45709 - 02/19/04 12:39 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Belinda,

Sorry if you've already talked about this before, but have you gotten all the tests done to rule out other things? A lot of the symptoms that you have mentioned having sounds like maybe it is something other than IBS?

If you have, and the doctors told you it was IBS, then I have no clue why the white rice would make you sick. Do you eat something with the white rice?

--------------------
- Jennifer

#45747 - 02/19/04 02:28 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Maybe you're allergic to rice! I've actually heard of that happening... to some people in China, no less! I don't know how they survive. Anyway, I'd ask your doctor if they have an allergy test for rice. It might be worth knowing!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#45774 - 02/19/04 04:13 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

My mom also thinks that she has problems with white rice (she has IBS too). I thought maybe it was a coincidence that she had D after eating a meal with it cause i would have the exact same meal and i'd be fine. Maybe it's just one of those odd things that some people can't eat?!

#45791 - 02/19/04 05:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Wow. Never heard of this. Are you okay with other "whites" like pasta noodles, potatoes, etc.? Ask your Doc to be tested for Celiac if you haven't already.

I understand with the brown rice, but the white is odd. Are you SURE that there are no triggers in what you're eating WITH the rice? For example, if it's with a stir fry - I have trouble with some veggies ... etc.

Let us know how you make out. I'd like to hear what you think.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#45819 - 02/19/04 09:20 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

HanSolo:

Yes, I seem to have problems with other pasta too, but I am fine with wheat in the form of bread. Potatoes are usually okay too.

I ate the following with the rice noodles today: baked turkey loaf made with ground turkey (probably not white turkey), carrots, celery, onions and parsley, everything organic except for the turkey. I eat this baked turkey loaf all the time and I am usually fine with it -- as long as I don't put too much onion in it. For some reason, though, I get sick it if I eat rice or rice noodles for a few meals in a row.

I haven't had stirfry in awhile although my boyfriend makes it for me with a tiny drop of olive oil when I visit him. We use organic turkey or chicken stirfry meat and a small amount of safe veggies for me. Admittedly, I often cheat and use brown poultry meat not white meat, but, for the most part, I am okay.

I don't know what my problem is with rice. I seem to have a similar problem with yams. After eating them for several meals, I am prone to D.

I'm sure I have more than just IBS. My mother has food allergies and I have inherited a few food allergies. I have some other ailments too (arthritis, allergic asthma, etc.), but life goes on...!

Belinda

#45905 - 02/20/04 01:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - you could test this if you like. Have just plain white rice and rice noodles or rice cereal for a few days, and see how you do. Boring, I know, but it will tell you if it's really the rice or what you're eating with it (like the dark poultry meat). You could also ask your doc for a referral to an allergist for a food allergy test for rice. Rice allergies are really, really rare - but it is possible.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review