All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traveling with IBS
      #45260 - 02/16/04 06:19 PM
BethTirado

Reged: 02/16/04

i will be going to europe during March and April. i was just recently diagnosed with IBS. Is it safe to travel so soon? How can i make sure i will not be attacked by the IBS symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling with IBS new
      #45264 - 02/16/04 06:48 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Beth, Where will you be in Europe? I would think it'd be ok for you to travel, as long as you feel comfortable with it. If you're going somewhere familiar this will help, since travel can be a lot of stress on it's own! But if it's your first time to Europe, it will be so exciting and hopefully you will have stabilized with your IBS, so you'll really only have to worry about maintaining your diet. Be sure to bring SF with you, plus all your meds. and any OTC stuff that you take (like Imodium).
A couple "European" things to watch out for:
-ask for water WITHOUT GAS, or better still, try to buy spring water. Most water is mineral (and fizzy), but if you go to a market you can usually find bottled water that'll be ok for your tummy.
-keep change for public toliets, and depending where you are traveling you might want to bring seat covers and your own tp (esp. in E.Europe)
-enjoy the fresh bread!! You'll get some of the best IBS-safe bread there (baguettes, Semmeln/Broetchen,Italian bread, and the like).
That's all I can thing of for now, but let me know where you are traveling and maybe I'll have some more ideas. I think that if you keep a postive attitude you can have a great vacation without too much worrying about IBS.
Best,
Julie

--------------------
--Julie

#45282 - 02/17/04 01:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey, enjoy yourself!

Tuxedocat has some good suggestions. Just a point from a European, not ALL water in restaurants is sparkling. Just many places think that if you're paying for mineral water, you might as well get bubbles as well! Alot of western European tap water is fine now, but as always, bottled water is safest.

The Immodium is a great idea if you're D. No way would I cope commuting to work without it! You get most things (except soluble fibre supplements) in the UK, but I always find it a problem on the Continent as I don't know the right tradename to ask for. Phrase books are essential, plus keeping the leaflets with all your drugs so that you can point at the name!

Keeping toilet paper in your bag is a must travelling anywhere. I also carry flushable wet wipes to make life nicer.

Food-wise, it shouldn't be a problem. You can get chicken/fish/bread almost anywhere.

Anyway...make the most of it any enjoy yourself! Are you going to come to the UK?

#45810 - 02/19/04 08:11 PM
BethTirado

thank you for your reply linz. i have already been to the UK but we will be going to the Netherlands, Germany, Czechoslovakia, and France. thank you again for your information linz. it will be very helpful while i am there.

#45812 - 02/19/04 08:16 PM
BethTirado

hi julie, we will be in the netherlands, germany, and france. your information will be very helpful because i did not know that the water had gas. thank you for the many tips that you gave me. i was worried that i would not be physically able to travel. what does SF mean because i was just recently diagnosed with IBS and GERD. thank you again julie

#45842 - 02/20/04 06:48 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Hi Beth, SF stands for soluble fiber (like Citrucel,Benefiber--check out Heather's page on this). IBS and GERD doesn't mean you can't travel--my mom has GERD and I have IBS and we both travel at least a few weeks out of the year--we just be sure to bring our meds, esp. because vacations really make you want to cheat (have that extra glass of French wine or more than one bite of a yummy pastry). Another thing you'll have to watch out for is butter, esp. in Germany and France it could be a hidden ingredient in many dishes. Do you know how to say "Where's the restroom?" in all these languages? (j/k, but it might not be a bad phrase to look up and memorize)

--------------------
--Julie

#45851 - 02/20/04 07:59 AM
Heather Fraser

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: Ohio

I have also been concerned about traveling with IBS as I am traveling to Alaska this spring and want to be able to enjoy my trip. I plan on taking a few items of safe food with me and my meds. and baby wipes which I always have in my purse every day. I would definitely go for the bottled water when traveling.

--------------------
Heather

The First Year IBS book has a whole chapter on traveling... new
      #45914 - 02/20/04 02:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

that chapter isn't on the website, unfortunately, but if you have the book look up the chapter on taking vacations. You can definitely travel, and have a good time too.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review