Reged: 12/17/03

Post deleted by rick401

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, what would you do in my shoes? new
      #45025 - 02/14/04 04:58 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to say hang in there! I know how you feel, I too feel like this is taking over my life .

I really hope something will help you!

Good luck, I'm sure Heather will have some good advice for you!

Take care

--------------------

Re: Heather, what would you do in my shoes? *DELETED* new
      #45027 - 02/14/04 06:14 PM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

Hypnosis? new
      #45028 - 02/14/04 06:24 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Chris, Is hypnosis not and option? I didn't see you mention it. Many have had good results with the Audio 100 program for IBS.

--------------------

#45029 - 02/14/04 06:27 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Do you have a G.I. Dr? Unless I am mistaken, the SSRIs are the new antidepressant of choice for IBS and the tricyclics are the back up option. I think that stress plays a big part. I have noticed that my body doesn't tolerate stress as well as it used. to. The hypntherapy tapes are good and I am doing something called mindfulness that combines yoga, meditation, and being very mindful of the here and now. There are some good non med options out there, but I think a short trial of anti anxiety meds would be a good test.
Good luck. I call totally empathize with you.

#45033 - 02/14/04 07:02 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yeah, when all else doesn't work, I suggest the tricyclic anti-depressants as well. The doses are low enough that it doesn't effect your brain chemistry (assuming you don't want it affected. ), but it will at least get you through the night so you can sleep in the same room as your wife.

Don't give up, we're sending good thoughts your way!

#45040 - 02/15/04 01:56 AM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45041 - 02/15/04 01:58 AM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45044 - 02/15/04 05:10 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Chris,
Sounds like you're having a rough time, hang in there! I know I can't get through life without yoga, when I'm not doing it regularly I'm a mess. I stated off with Suzanne Deason's "Yoga for weight loss", not because I was trying to lose weight but because it has poses that my very inflexible body can get into! Or Tai Chi, or straight out meditation, all those things can help you reduce stress. Also, have you seen a naturopathic doctor? Mine has helped me tons, while the regular docs just told me to take immodium. Ask around and find a good one: they have ideas that no-one else will. And, my last suggestion, are you drinking tap water? Try switching to reverse-osmosis or distilled- it helped me instantly.
Let us know what works, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Laura

#45047 - 02/15/04 06:35 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

What are you studying? I lived in Bristol for a year... still have a very, very good friend doing her PhD in BioChemistry there.

#45050 - 02/15/04 06:49 AM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Chris,
I sure empathize with you as well, since I found that the diet alone did not entirely solve my ibs. The anxiety factor is equally as important for me. My symptoms didn't really get under control until I worked pretty hard on the anxiety part.
What has helped me most is cognitive behavioral therapy. I found a psychologist here in Toronto who did a study on ibs. Half of the subjects were given an SSRI and the other half were given cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), the gold standard in terms of therapy for anxiety. (I am a social worker and psychotherapist myself.) The results were that both were significantly helpful, but the CBT was significantly more helpful than the SSRI. This study is in Heather's archives if you are interested. The psychologist is Dr. Shelagh Emmet.
So I worked with her on CBT and found it made a great difference in my symptoms. Most of the time I am virtually symptom free.
Re-tricyclics, if you find the minimum dosages in which they come are unnecessarily high, I discovered that there are (rare) pharmacies that are compounding pharmacies, which means that they will create capsules of an anti-depressant from scratch in as small a dosage as you need, as long as the basic element for that medication is available in its raw form.
Am I right that you have not had a colonoscopy yet? I understand from my medical folks that that is pretty crucial for ruling out anything else nasty that could be going on. I've had it twice and it's yucky but . . .
Good luck with all this.
Best wishes,
Linda

Hope you feel better soon! new
      #45055 - 02/15/04 07:06 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Chris,
I really sympathize with you. I'm sorry that things aren't helping so much. Sounds like you're really working towards recovery-- I can imagine your frustration.

Just a few suggestions, though I don't know how much they may help: I had to cut out anything peppermint. I had started taking peppermint capsules and drinking tea when I started the IBS diet, but stopped when I started getting some heartburn type stuff (which I never ever had previously in my whole life!) Ironically, when I quit them some symptoms (gas, bloating, D) went away. Apparently I don't "do" peppermint so well. (I also can't tolerate Altoids, which I LOVE!) Maybe you have a similar reaction? If you're using stuff like that, maybe that's why you can't stabilize on the limited "what to eat when you can't eat anything" and other spartan diets? Check what else you're consuming when you do the elimination diets (periphery things- meds, teas, drinks?)... maybe it's the stuff you're not thinking about that's causing a problem?

I can't tolerate carbonation of any kind-- BIG BUMMER. And that's a development that's happened since my diagnosis. I also can't do anything with any artificial sweetners (except Splenda). Have you looked into those?

Well, I don't know that any of this will help, but maybe...?

Good luck.

*jen

--------------------

#45084 - 02/15/04 10:56 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Chris hang in there - it isn't easy to have IBS.

You have gotten alot of great advice, but one more piece of advice. Have you and your wife gotten counseling over this? Your marriage sounds like a stress in your life. Even getting couseling for yourself should help you deal with stress better and should help your IBS.

Hope you feel better soon.

#45109 - 02/15/04 01:28 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Man Chris I sympathize with you soo much. It took 2 1/2 months of D and no answers from the GI Dr. or my own physician. Then I found Heather's website and tried it. Balance out and now I've been doing okay. I mean okay from the D. Now I'm C and D. Try a probiotic? or acidophilus? It may reduce your D naturually. The Dr. wants me to do paxil, I'm refusing any ssri's right now. I believe I can make it.
How about a calcuim supplement? I know how you feel right now, more stuff to try and it's endless. I lost a tremendous amount of weight over 53 lbs and I wish I would of found out about this sooner, the things to take to stop the D or at least get it under control. Try a different fiber supplement? Maybe acacia is not the one for you? I know you'll get it under control have faith in your body and try not working out too much sometimes this can bring more b/m's on. Please hang in there, you've got to get a GI dr. they specialize in this more than your reg. Dr.. Is there a local institution for digestive disorders near you? If so contact them, they may have a referral support group for good Dr's. Good Luck your in my prayers.
Sherri

#45116 - 02/15/04 02:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Chris - I am just so sorry you're feeling awful and not seeing improvements. I really wish I had a magic way to make you all better.

I would pursue some of the anti-depressant / anti-anxiety meds option. These can really work wonders for some people. I'd also try the hypnotherapy tapes - especially since anxiety seems to be playing a big role for you, and the tapes are truly unsurpassed for addressing this angle.

I'm not sure increasing exercise would help, unless you really notice a lot of stress-reduction from this. If you're not doing something like a daily yoga practice, tai chi, meditation, etc. you might try to add this in.

I have heard from a doctor that someone with diarrhea-predominant IBS who still has chronic diarrhea after working their way up to 12-15 grams a day of a soluble fiber supplement does not have IBS, but some other underlying problem. I don't know if this is true, but it was an interesting statement, and I thought I'd share it for what it's worth.

I think it's really noteworthy that you do notice an improvement when you're just eating rice. That would surely point to some type of food problem triggering your symptoms.

The other thing you might want to try is the York food allergy tests - see this site http://www.yorkallergyusa.com/

I'm not totally comfortable recommending this test, but I have seen a preliminary clinical trial on its use for IBS patients, conducted by PJ Whorwell, who is one of the UK's leading researchers into IBS. The study has been submitted to Lancet and may be accepted for publication later this year. When/if that happens, I'll publish it in the IBS Newsletter. But the study was controlled, and the results were really impressive, so you might want to look into this testing.

I'm so sorry I just don't know what else to say. I really do hope you're feeling better soon. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Hugs,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather, what would you do in my shoes? Laura - question about your water new
      #45152 - 02/15/04 10:24 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hi Laura -- you mentioned that switching your water helped you. I was wondering what the theory is about switching to those waters -- don't think i have ever heard of that -- and what did you experience?

Thanks !

#45159 - 02/16/04 01:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Chris, sorry to hear you're struggling.

I know some people have problems with them, but I'm IBS-d and I'm on SSRIs and couldn't live without them. Starting them helped my IBS as did getting rid of underlying depression. If you get worked up taking stuff, then maybe you haven't given them a chance.

Thinking along those lines, you need to give the soluble fibre supplements more of a chance. My doc put me on these before I'd even had a confirmed IBS diagnosis and they made more difference than anything else, bar Immodium. It takes a while to get the full effect from them, so make sure you take them regularly.

Also, have you tried Immodium? This stuff allows me to live my life without always having to think about my IBS. Maybe start on a low dose to see if it likes you? !

And you're right, combating stress is a biggie. I read something in my latest wedding magazine that I think applies to life in general and definitely for IBS-ers: To keep calm, don't sweat the small stuff. Then make the big stuff smaller. It's a good maxim for life. I also find yoga very relaxing (though I don't do enough these days!). Plus, just taking time for yourself. Make your bedroom a haven. Read books. Take hot bubble baths (with the books!).

Oh, and try Chamomile Tea. I can't have peppermint and this stuff is my lifeline for attacks. It's also really relaxing.

Hope this helps.

Linz

#45223 - 02/16/04 02:43 PM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45226 - 02/16/04 02:51 PM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45228 - 02/16/04 03:02 PM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45232 - 02/16/04 03:18 PM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45236 - 02/16/04 03:54 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Hi Chris.sorry you are feeling so down.I,m a lets say older person.just found out I had IBS last year.I eat Rice,Chicken
fish,bake potato,rice cereal.my hubby an I have been marry for 51 1/2 years.thank god for him.he has been by my side from day one.I,m also on Acacia have been takeing it since Oct.up an down.but now I,m takeing 2 tbs 1 in the morning an 1 before supper.I still bloat real bad but today was the first day I have had diarrhea in a long time.an I ate some chicken stew so that may have been the bad boy.please take care of yourself.an wish I could help you out more.Gerry
it is all so confusing.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Re: water ? new
      #45240 - 02/16/04 04:11 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi Chris,
I know what it's like to have low funds- I'm on a super tight budget too. I tried filtering our water with a Brita filter, but it didn't help. If you go to the drugstore you should be able to find some kind of RO or distilled water- if you buy it in a larger container (1 gallong or 5 gallon) it's cheaper. Just try it for a couple of weeks, and see if it helps???? I get mine delivered- it costs me about $30 a month altogether- but worth every single penny. It's alot cheaper if you have a car and can pick it up. I'm also looking into getting a home filtration system- Nimbus makes a small faucet mounted Reverse Osmosis unit (about $90 american, more cdn) and I've been looking at small countertop distillers (anyone reading this post tried either of these???) These options would be much cheaper over the long term.
As for yoga, I've never done it from a book but I'm sure almost any book would work. Maybe ask on the yoga board? I really encourage you to try it, as I said it really, really helps my anxiety.
Good luck, hope things get better soon!
Laura

#45255 - 02/16/04 06:02 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Hi, Chris. (I hope I'm not posting this twice: something odd just happened with the computer, so I'm trying this again!) You were asking about how CBT is adapted to IBS. In fact, it isn't, or wasn't when I worked with it. It just tries to get at what the thoughts/behaviours/beliefs are that cause anxiety. We worked with the popular and very good book, Mind Over Mood. It's a self-help book, but I really recommend working with a therapist who is experienced in CBT, which many are these days.
By the way I misspelt the name of the psychologist whose study is in Heather's archives: it's Shelagh Emmot.
Good luck with whatever methods you decide to go with,
Linda

Immodium & NHS new
      #45285 - 02/17/04 01:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get Immodium on the NHS as Loperamide (the drug's name). Thinking about our lovely health system, have you thought of getting a pre-paid prescription certificate? These cost £32 for four months, but then you can get as many prescriptions as you like. Makes IBS a lot cheaper for me.

Good luck with the stress! I had a lovely hot bath last night, but ruined the rlaxing effect by reading a magazine depsite having a headache, which it made worse. Doh! Got out feeling very stupid.

#45298 - 02/17/04 06:30 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Chris,

I really feel for you. I suffered for months with no relief with anything. What probiotics are you taking and how many? I'm using Primal Defense. They are quite expensive (more so up here in Canada) but they have made an incredible difference in my life. And it's only really expensive for the first few months. I have also found them to be very helpful in answering my questions about their products. I usually get a response in a few hours.

I also used the hypnotherapy which was nice and sure helped. Have you looked into lactose-intolerance? That's what really helped me. I cut out all lactose (and that's not always easy to do!) and it's helped also. Now I just need to get my stress under control.

You didn't say whether you were a Christian or not. I am a strong believer in the healing power of our Lord and have found that prayer and reading the Bible help me immensely. There are a few threads on this and some suggested readings if you are interested. I am using prayer as my relaxation time as well as pilates and am going to try in add yoga back in to my day. I also get some aerobic exercise so I'm running the whole gamut.

You mentioned in another post about your coffee. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but that could be a source of trouble too. I found for me (and I had horrible D) that coffee or indeed any caffeine really did me in. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days when I can't get enough sleep due to my son being quite ill and I'm not a saint where Heather's diet is concerned but knowing that it has helped makes it a lot easier to deal with the restrictions on food. I most especially miss carbonated drinks. But I haven't had one in almost a year and there are nice substitutes out there! Lemonade sure is nice! And slurpees will at least let me feel like one of the gang sometimes! I will pray for you for relief.

Corinne

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#45346 - 02/17/04 09:29 AM
BarbaraS

What a blessing to have a supportive spouse!!! That is nice to know.

I sure hope you can find answers soon for you sanity and health. What is the health care system like in your country? You mentioned you don't have health insurance - is there a way to get the tests you nedd without the insurance?

#45351 - 02/17/04 09:59 AM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

#45352 - 02/17/04 10:05 AM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

Glad to hear you have a sense of humor still! - NT new
      #45357 - 02/17/04 10:14 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#45376 - 02/17/04 11:04 AM
BarbaraS

Chris that is too bad about your health system. I understand health is suppose to be free in your country, but when someone is as sick as you how can a doctor make you wait so long or deny there is a problem?

Like America every country has a down side to their health care system. My husband and I use to purchase our health insurance privately and there was a time my three kids and husband had coverage and I had none.

I was denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition (eating disoder)when I was 19 years old. It didn't matter my weight was normal for a number of years and I had three normal pregnancies.

It stinks when govt. and insurance companies control your health care needs. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Have your tried an elimination diet or celiac free diet?

#45641 - 02/19/04 07:06 AM
djw

Reged: 02/11/04

One thing that I have found works when nothing else does is soda crackers (Heather refers to them as Saltines). I munch on them when nothing else helps. I've had IBS since I was a kid, and I've eaten a lot of soda crackers in my time. I'm a fairly high-stress individual and also recently started the hynosis CDs (on Day 8 now). If nothing else, they are helping me slow down and take a breath. Not sure if doing more exercise will help - make sure you get some down time, time to relax. Often a workout pumps you up, but doesn't really give you a sense of relaxation. Finally, I worked myself up to the 3 TBSP of acacia fiber, but it took me over a month, and it has made a difference. I also believe that as you age, you deal with stress less effectively (unless you have Mike's hypnosis CDs). So even if, in the past, you have lived through stressful situations and had less IBS, you are older now, and have other things going on in your life, so you can't really compare the two. It's almost as if your body has a memory of your past stresses and collects them, instead of getting rid of them, just sort of adds on and runs through the whole reaction thing, as it did in the past. Hopefully the hynposis CDs will break the cycle. Good luck from Canada.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review