All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fruits
      #45 - 01/25/03 04:38 PM
angela

Reged: 01/25/03

im pretty good with vegetables. i know which ones have soluable and insoluable fiber, and which ones agree with me.but what about fruits?CAN anyone tell me what kind of fruits have soluable fiber and are pretty safe? for some odd reason i cant tolerate bananas, dont know why.

--------------------
control your ibs, and dont let your ibs control you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Welcome to the board! new
      #46 - 01/25/03 07:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Angela - Fruits can actually be a bit trickier for IBS than vegetables. In addition to having insoluble fiber, they can also have high levels of fructose, which is fruit sugar, and which can cause gas, diarrhea, and cramping.

In general, the fruits that are the "smushiest", without strings, seeds, hulls, etc. are the ones with a good soluble fiber base. Bananas, mangoes, peeled peaches, peeled apricots, peeled pears, etc. The peels are insoluble fiber. Fruits like cherries, berries, pineapple, etc. that have tough skins or hulls or are stringy are higher in insoluble fiber. They're most tolerable when they're diced or pureed, and cooked. You can do things like blend fresh fruit into smoothies, or puree and cook them to be added to quick breads. Dicing fresh fruits and cooking a handful into a morning bowl of oatmeal is very safe as well.

There's a pretty good list of soluble and insoluble fiber foods, including fruits, at http://www.firstyearibs.com/day3learn.html

Bananas are a bit of an oddball - they are high in soluble fiber so safe for IBS, but they can cause heartburn for a lot of people. If you can't tolerate them just avoid them altogether and choose some other fruits instead.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

A question on PCOS new
      #52 - 01/26/03 02:11 PM
Kelkelbean

Reged: 01/26/03

I am curious if there is anyone out there that has suggestions for eating a low carbohydrate diet, in order to accomodate the restrictions of both PCOS, and IBS. It's a tricky sitch, and I would greatly appreciate anyone's tips!

Re: A question on PCOS new
      #54 - 01/26/03 02:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi, and welcome to the board! I would love to hear from other people in this situation - I don't think it's all that uncommon. Some things that might help:

Make your carbs count, by focusing on the ones that are complex (not simple) and are highest in soluble fiber (brown rice, pasta, barley, oatmeal)

Avoid sugar and other refined sweeteners - they're just empty carbs and certainly not necessary for helping IBS

Make sure you're using a soluble fiber supplement, which will stabilize IBS without adding any carbs. Choose an unsweetened, unflavored variety like Equalactin or Fibercon pills, Benefiber powder, or unflavored Citrucel powder. Start at 1 t twice daily and work up to 2 T twice daily. Having an extra glass or two of the pills before a meal is a great way to keep your soluble fiber high, without having to eat as much soluble fiber food (which is usually high carb)

Do be extra careful to keep your fat content low, and avoid all trigger foods

Make sure your proteins are safe for IBS - seafood, soy, skinless white poultry meat, pureed well-cooked beans or lentils

Watch out for sweetened beverages - they're a huge source of hidden carb calories from sugar - drink IBS helpful herbal teas instead (peppermint, chamomile, fennel, ginger)

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: More info - PCOS and low carb diets new
      #56 - 01/26/03 05:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I did a bit of research into this, and found that a low carb diet is often recommended for PCOS because many PCOS patients are also found to have insulin resistance. A diet relatively low in carbohydrates and high in protein usually helps insulin resistant patients to lose weight and become more responsive to medication.

This type of diet can still work within the IBS diet guidelines - see my other post for suggestions on this. There are easy ways to get your soluble fiber without too many carbs, and also to get the protein you need without resorting to trigger foods like meat and dairy.

It's extra important for PCOS to keep your soluble fiber high, as a high fiber diet will also help to stabilize blood sugar levels and decrease insulin secretion.

Finally, weight training has been shown to increase muscle mass and decrease insulin resistance. As little as 30 minutes twice a week can significantly increase muscle mass and lower insulin levels.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: A question on PCOS new
      #64 - 01/27/03 04:23 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

What's PCOS? Duuhhh!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome new
      #65 - 01/27/03 04:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Sorry - should have spelled that out.

--------------------

#69 - 01/27/03 07:31 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Thanks, Heather, but I don't have to worry about that. Too old and equipment is gone!!!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Fruits new
      #75 - 01/28/03 02:00 PM
junipertre3

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: Chicago, IL.

That's really strange about the bananas, it's my safest fruit. I eat them all the time, especially when I'm feeling sick.
Apples are ok for me, but only once and a while, and only when I chew them up well. Applesauce might work
really great for you. When I used to have attacks that lasted for hours and made me feel awful for days, I used
to eat only applesauce and oatmeal with brown sugar. It always made me feel much better. Stay away from oranges,
too acidic, and try to only eat fruits that are mashable and are mashed.

#144 - 01/30/03 08:39 AM
MARIA

Reged: 01/30/03

HI I AM MARIA ,SOLUBLE FIBRE IS IN BANANBA BUT BANANS CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR ALOT OF PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE HEAVY ON THE STOMACH, MOST FRUIT PEELED HAVE SOLUBLE FIBRE IN IT , THE PEEL HAWEVER HAVE THE INSOLUBLE FIBRE AND CAUSE ME BLOATING AND ABDOMINAL PAIN. I WAS TOLD IT IS BEST TO EAT FRUIT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH TO PREVENT BLOATING ETC... I FIND DATES DRY FIGE TANERINES PEELED APPLES AND PEARS HELP ME TO GO TO TOILET AS DO PEACHES , BANANAS ARE BLINDING AND ARE PRESCRIPED FOR PEOPLE WITH DIAHORREA. BANANAS ON TOAST WITH SPREAD SEEM O.K FOR ME BUT ALONES I FEEL BLOCKED!!!

#282 - 02/01/03 04:33 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

I too have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. As a matter of fact, I have IBS because of scar tissue wrapped around my intestines from my hysterectomy done because of PCOS. At least that is what my doctor thinks at the moment! I am IBS-C all the way. Primal Defense (a supplement) has been extremely helpful to me after trying everything else out there. Fiber binds me up horrible, even with lots of water. Wheat products do the same, unless eatin in small amounts. I struggle with the high fiber for IBS, low carb for PCOS diet. I feel like there is nothing I can eat. It's very depressing. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one out there with both IBS/PCOS. It stinks, but I seem to be getting better using the Primal Defense.

#347 - 02/03/03 01:33 PM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

Canalope has work very well for me, and canned peaches & pears. I have problems with apples (uncooked that is).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 758 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review