Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Health Food Store = Overcharging?
      #4485 - 03/29/03 05:21 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Everyone -

I just wanted to comment that this weekend I made my first trip to a health food store for some
specialty items which I could not find in my grocery store (ie: soy cheese, oil free peanut butter etc).

I couldn't believe the prices for these things!!!!! Peanut Butter (the same size as the small Skippy jar) was
$7.49? Soy cheese for a small block (Like the same size as a cheese slice and about 10 stacked) was $6.80!

I was just flabbergasted by these prices! How does anyone afford to shop there all the time?
Has anyone else found the Health Food Store crazily priced - or is it just us Canadians who are suckers? LOL

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Health Food Store = Overcharging? new
      #4492 - 03/29/03 06:14 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

yeah, that sucks doesnt it? I cant stand the high prices. In fact, often i have to poorly because my parents think its just plain stupid to pay the extra bucks for organic, soy stuff.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4493 - 03/29/03 07:01 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I find that I have to watch what I purchase at the Health food stores, but sometimes they're even cheaper than the market. Eggs, cereal, crackers (the brands I purchase) are all higher priced at the regular market than at the health food stores. Check what your regular market carries that you need, ie the soy cheeses, many times they carry it (they make it hard to find though) and it may be less expensive than at the health stores (sometimes you are buying an item that's considered specialty and you have no choice but to go to the health food shops). You will have to figure out which stores is the best place to get which items. At the regular markets, watch carefully the dates though as they don't turn over the specialty foods as fast as a health food market.

#4533 - 03/30/03 01:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, some health food store prices are insane. However, some things (like bulk foods and spices) are dirt cheap. I really pick and choose what I buy at health markets vs. regular grocery stores. Some specialty items, like soy milk, are cheaper. But regular staples (like peanut butter and cereal) I always get at regular groceries. In a way it's a hassle, because I have to divide shopping between different stores (actually, I do produce shopping at Asian and other ethnic markets, so that's three separate stops). But I try to save up for a long health food store list so I only have to go once every few weeks. The staples I get there aren't perishables.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4535 - 03/30/03 01:18 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Lana - us Americans are being suckered in Health Food Stores too. Have you tried the produce section of your grocery stores? That's where I find some soy cheese, the soy buttery spread, soy cream cheese and soy sour cream. They're not with the regular dairy...don't ask me why not. And there's also a section where the milks are that have soy cheeses too, along with soy yogurts. But, if you still can't find the products in the grocery stores, guess you'll have to give in. Don't they have more than one grocery store where you live? Sometimes I have to drive an hour and a half to find stuff, but then I stock up so I con't have to go as often. But then I live up with the "hill people", so I guess I shouldn't complain. At least when I go to town here on the hill, I can find a parking place with no trouble. I'd say it's a fair trade.

Getting back to the prices, yeh, Jessie James used to use a gun...but the healthh food stores don't need one, do they? The Soy Buttery Spread that Heidi told us about was around $6.75 at the HFS and at the grocery store it was about half that amount. I don't understand why they charge so much if they're paying the same amount for their product as the grocery stores--but then again, I guess they can't get volume discounts. Guess we'll never know.

sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4577 - 03/30/03 11:05 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I decided to try the Soy Garden Natural Buttery Spread (instead of my usual Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread--they're made by the same company and have virtually the same ingredients). But I only paid $2.50! $6.75??? I'm just in shock! But the "health food store" I go to is not one of those Mom'n'Pop deals, it's Wild Oats, so like any chain, I guess they can afford to charge less. Thank goodness!

#4579 - 03/31/03 06:22 AM
Lana_Marie

That must make it difficult for you then, cuz your parents are most likely controlling your money situation - I'm just complaining - but you can't have it even if you want to!

I am sorry!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#4580 - 03/31/03 06:24 AM
Lana_Marie

Karin - I did check for the soy cheese at my grocery stores and found a soy cheese but there was only an jalapeno soy cheese loaf and I just wanted regular soy cheese.

I will just have to settle for getting only my cheese there, then it's not so bad.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#4581 - 03/31/03 06:27 AM
Lana_Marie

HI Heather -
I noticed that the bulk spices were really cheap - but I also do my grocery shopping at a market where bulk spices etc are available and they are quite comparable in price.

The peanut butter I bought has no oils in it and is actually made with soy nuts and it doesn't taste too bad. I haven't been able to find anything like that in my grocery store so I don't mind buying it there then

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

I wish we had more stores to choose from -nt- new
      #4582 - 03/31/03 06:29 AM
Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3253

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review