All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Gastritis sufferers?
      #4117 - 03/26/03 05:50 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Some of you have said that you had/have gastritis too. What things did you find were good to eat/drink with this? I'm basically on bread, oatmeal, pasta, very well cooked veggies - basically Heather's diet but bland. The Dr isn't prescribing me anything until the biopsies are back and he knows what's causing it. The nurse said to try pepto or something to coat my stomach before eating, that might stop the pain I feel after eating. So far it's not doing a whole lot that I can tell. Thanks for any advice!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gastritis sufferers? new
      #4119 - 03/26/03 06:28 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have gastritis and I am now on medication, but before the benefits of medication, I relied on Gaviscon, Maalox, etc. This helped me very much. Do you have GERD? When you have gastritis (which is inflammation of the lining of the stomach) you also get acid reflux because of it. If you do have GERD (which is most likely causing the pain) Gaviscon and Maalox really helped even though it felt like I was sometimes guzzling the stuff like water! I don't think there are any side-effects of using them. You can take them with or without food and at anytime of the day. My doctor said I can still take them on bad days even with my medication so I always keep a bottle handy under the bathroom counter!

I hope this helps and you're feeling better soon!

God Bless,

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4122 - 03/26/03 06:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is gastritis? Can you have gastritis without GERD and vise versa? Thanks for the info!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4130 - 03/26/03 07:11 AM
Lorna

Gastritis literally means inflammation of the stomach lining. This is my understanding: (please - anyone - correct me if I'm wrong) You can have gastritis with or without GERD and vice versa. However, they often go hand in hand because gastritis can be caused by chronic reflux (as well as infection or other trauma) and GERD can be caused by gastritis (the stomach lining is inflammed - the esophageal sphincter gets "lazy" and opens because of the inflammed lining and acid reflux occurs).

I was having such horrible chest pain and abdominal pain at the same time, my doctor put me on medication for upper GI, then lower GI, nothing seemed to work and on and on and on...I got very frustrated and turned to the internet (which is where I found this website) and I learned a lot on the way! From all the reading I did on the internet about gastrointestinal disorders, this is my understanding of gastritis.

Hope this helps.

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4131 - 03/26/03 07:14 AM
ecmmbm

I'm new to this too but this sounds correct. I don't really have Gerd or any of the heartburn type stuff, probably because the GI told Eric the inflamed area is nearer to the bottom of my stomach. It just gets really painful in there about a half hour to an hour after I eat and makes me sort of nauseaous, both of which contribute to the lack of appetite. Looks like I'll be drinking maalox until these results come back and he can do something more for me!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#4136 - 03/26/03 07:29 AM
Lorna

You're probably right about not having GERD because the inflammation is at the bottom of the stomach. Mine is probably at the top near the esophageal sphincter which lets acid "escape" more easily.

As for the nausea, I had horrible nausea and couldn't sleep without taking gravol for two weeks. It was terrible. Hopefully the Maalox helps you.

Good Luck with the results!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4148 - 03/26/03 09:48 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Sounds like you have a handle on things - more than you probaly realize.
Keep eating what you're eating and rest, which is hard with three young kids. It may take awhile for your tummy to heal. I found the only fruit I could eat for awhile was bananas.

#4172 - 03/26/03 03:59 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

What are the signs and symptoms of Gastritis? Yesterday I was having bad indigestion and no matter what I took, nothing was helping. I ate stuff over the weekend I shouldn't have, and I also drank a couple sodas and I think thats what it. I didn't have a BM yesterday at all, plus I was taking a bunch of Pepcid, chewable and non-chewable. Finally I decided to call my doctor and she called me in some Ranitidine, which is basically Zantac, and its helped so far. I usually take 2 Citracel tablets a day but today I have taken 4 and have had a couple BM's and I think thats helped too. I'm going out of town this weekend so I will be very dependent on my medicine.

#4185 - 03/26/03 04:39 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Michelle: when you had your endoscopy, did he tell you or your husband to not have you take any asprin or anything like that? My stomach was slightly inflamed, the dr. said not to take anything. When I had my follow-up, he said that a slight inflammation is normal in someone my age (51). I have no idea why it should make a difference but I guess it does.

Re: Karin and Leanne new
      #4190 - 03/26/03 05:47 PM
ecmmbm

Karin - Yes, they told him that I should not take aspirin, thanks. I'm not taking any pain relievers, just Pepcid, it's helping a little.

Leanne - The symptoms for me have been a gnawing pain just above my navel that was unlike my usual IBS symptoms. It is always worse slightly after eating, so I thought it had to do with eating the wrong things. But it's gotten persistenly worse no matter what I've done. It has not given me indigestion or gerd or anything like that, persay, because apparently it is in the lower part of my stomach, but for some people it does if its in the upper part. I've also been very tired, sometimes very nauseous, not wanted to eat much thus lost a good bit of weight in a short time, and have passed some blood but that could have been from the polyps in my colon. Long answer to a short question, sorry!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#4191 - 03/26/03 05:51 PM
BarbaraS

Gastritis can be very painful until treated. I don't think soda is a good idea - too much acid for the stomach. Stick to your bland foods until it heals. Like i wrote earlier it took a good six months for me to heal.

#4202 - 03/26/03 08:11 PM
Leanne01

Thank you for the reply. Stupid question, but is your navel the belly button? Actually I'm still trying to figure out what mine is. I think its either GERD or indigestion, I really don't think its an ulcer because it doesn't bore thru the back. I have a little burning in my throat every now and then and in the middle of my stomach, a little above the belly button, its like a burning pain, but its not too bad. It might be gastritis but I don't know. Like I said, I'm taking Ranitidine.

Edited by Leanne01 (03/26/03 08:15 PM)

#4204 - 03/26/03 11:25 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Is gastritis also 'd'? Anyway, when I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy done, they said I had ibs and a little inflammation of the stomach? dunno where. They also said I had acid reflux and gave me some losec tablets to take but they have run out and didn't help. What is acid reflux and what does it do?

Gastritus new
      #4205 - 03/26/03 11:26 PM
tlc

Please read my above post - and also I can't have panadol as it makes me very naseaus.

Re: Acid Reflux new
      #4218 - 03/27/03 06:55 AM
Lorna

Hi - Gastritis is not 'd'. It is inflammation of the stomach lining.

Acid reflux is also called GERD which stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease. Stomach acid "backs up" and refluxes into the esophagus causing heartburn.

The esophageal sphincter opens to let food into the stomach. When this sphincter does not work properly, it becomes "lazy" and opens up and lets acid flow back up into the esophagus causing pain. If the lining of your stomach is inflammed, this may be causing your esophageal spinchter to become lazy and open up. If you get persistent pain in the chest (heartburn) go to your doctor and tell him/her that losec didn't work and you need to try something else. I am on Pantoloc and it works well for me. Nexium is another option.

Good Luck!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4219 - 03/27/03 07:20 AM
Leanne01

Last night I drank some water with baking soda, my stepfather told me to do this because it helps with acid reflux/burning and this morning it was fine. I have a feeling this is going to be a problem thats going to keep coming back.

#4226 - 03/27/03 08:16 AM
Lorna

I have never heard of the water and baking soda idea, but I'm glad to hear it helped you!

If you keep having problems, you might also want to try Gaviscon (feels absolutely wonderful on the esophagus when it goes down!) or Maalox (apparently Maalox helps with gas too). If these do nothing for persistent chest pain, see your doctor!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4235 - 03/27/03 09:33 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Karin - plain aspirin is known to be a stomach irritant. The coated aspirins are probably better because they dissolve further down the GI tract and not in the stomach.

I take 1/2 plain aspirin per day for my heart (my Dad had a few heart attacks starting in his 40's) and the doc said because of past family history of heart probs, this would be a good idea. I don't think it bothers me any, but then again, I don't have IBS as bad as some of you do.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4236 - 03/27/03 09:36 AM
Leanne01

Yeah Maalox liquid is another wonder drug and I might go to Wal Mart today and get some Gaviscon and Zantac, altho I'm taking the generic kind right now. Its my birthday today and we are going to go out to eat so I will definitely be needing the Ranitidine!

#4237 - 03/27/03 09:38 AM
SharonMello

Leanne01 - Happy Birthday!!! Don't be too foolish with eating out tonight--you know what'll happen...

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Thank you!... new
      #4238 - 03/27/03 09:41 AM
Leanne01

I haven't had any problems this morning so I think I might be heading in the right direction!

#4239 - 03/27/03 09:49 AM
Karin

Sharon, I was referring to my age.....why would age make a difference in having an inflamed stomach? That I don't know the answer to. I only take enteric coated aspirin, but lately I have refrained from any anti-inflammatories except colloidial silver. I figured I'd give my stomach a good rest from irritants like that, perhaps forever. I've sworn off any medications the doctors recommend......lol.

#4247 - 03/27/03 10:11 AM
SharonMello

Karin - well, duuuhhhh! Why are you taking coloidal silver?
I've heard of it, but what does it do? And is it okay for IBSers?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#4249 - 03/27/03 10:12 AM
Lorna

Karin,

*I think* the MAJORITY of people who suffer from gastritis are over a certain age because of what causes it (over-use of anti-inflammatories, alcohol, etc.), but not everyone.

I have gastritis and I'm 29 (not 30 - yet - eek!!)

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Happy Birthday! new
      #4250 - 03/27/03 10:17 AM
Lorna

Leanne,

Have a great birthday! Enjoy your night out!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4252 - 03/27/03 10:21 AM
Karin

My aunt turned me to Colloidal Silver. She swears by it as an anti-inflammatory. I also have chronic tenosynovitis in my hands (tendon swelling). The silver keeps it down to where I don't need any NSAIDs. It's also used as an anti-bacterial. As for IBS, when I had my first 90 day break from IBS due to Heather's diet, I was taking the silver so I'm sure it's safe for us (me at least). It's not a large amount, just a squirt a day.

#4253 - 03/27/03 10:24 AM
Karin

Happy Birthday......I have a great Carrot Cake recipe for you....check out page 242 of Eating for IBS.......LOL......HB

Birthday?! new
      #4267 - 03/27/03 12:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey Leanne - today's my birthday too! What on earth are we doing sitting at our computers?!? And they say IBS folks don't relax enough...:)

Hope you have a super wonderful fantabulous celebration!!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Happy Birthday Heather!! new
      #4275 - 03/27/03 12:32 PM
Lorna

It seems to be everyone's birthday today! A friend from work turned 40 today. She arrived to work with her office full of black balloons, it was announced on one of the local radio stations (care of her husband) and I spilled the beans that she got her belly button pierced a while ago...

Anyway, you and Leanne have a fabulous day, let everyone wait on you hand and foot, and celebrate!!!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Happy Birthday Heather!! new
      #4277 - 03/27/03 12:34 PM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

Happy Birthday Heather! Are b-days are really close.. mines april the first! im hinting at my mom that i want an angel food cake, i just hope she doesnt go for the choclate cake int he box jig

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Perhaps a few answers.... new
      #4280 - 03/27/03 12:40 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,

I think I know the answer to the age question.
I read somewhere that the older you get, your stomach lining gets kind of thinner so you're more likely to develop gastritis. What your doc probably meant is that it's kind of natural for your stomach lining to be irritated at your age. but of course a proper gastritis needs treating.

As to the term 'gastritis', my sister who's a doc told me that really often an irritation of the stomach lining (it just gets kind of red and sore) is called gastritis though it is not really a proper inflammation which is the actual gastritis. But many people call it gastritis, like the common cold is called 'the flu' by many people.

As to what to eat, that's difficult. I read somewhere that eating more protein helps because your stomach might produce excessive acid because it empties to0 quickly. You need to keep your stomach busy (a bit like your colon) for it to be healthy. You also should try not to get too hungry (also bad for IBS) and avoid sweets (and peppermint tea!!).

Otherwise it's probably best to use medication which can be very effective and has hardly any side effects, like ranitidine or a proton-pump-blocker. Your stomach lining will heal within days in the absence of excess acid!!

I have developed 'an irritated stomach lining' (gastritis is really a far more effective word for it even if inaccurate) several times in the course of bad IBS attacks because I was trying to eat nothing as I was hoping this would calm down my colon. My stomach didn't like that at all and the acid actually made the IBS worse. In both cases I was then treated with acid blockers and both my stomach and my IBS got better (this didn't help the process of diagnosis though...)

These days I suffer from heartburn a lot, almost every night (it runs in the family, too). In the olden pre-IBS days I used to treat it very successfully by eating raw carrots, an apple or chewing hazelnuts. My dad used to find drinking milk helpful! Sadly, none of this agrees with the IBS diet. I notice that when I eat just carbohydrates for supper (i.e. just rice with carrot) it gets quite unbearable, so I make myself eat some cold turkey breast with it to make it a bit 'heavier'. I also drink quite a lot of water in the evening which helps a bit. When it gets too bad, I resort to my little wonder pills (proton-pump-blocker, Omeprazol) which gives me 48 hours of peace....

Hope this is of any use!

Susaloh

Re: Perhaps a few answers.... new
      #4284 - 03/27/03 12:52 PM
ecmmbm

Well I'm only 30 so I'm not "supposed" to have the colon polyps or the gastritis yet.

And as to what to eat - I'm so confused now!!!!!!!! Follow up with the GI is April 7, maybe knowing the source of the gastritis will help, as for now I have no idea (again) what to eat, drink, or avoid. Grr....

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

P.S. Helicbacter new
      #4285 - 03/27/03 12:55 PM
susaloh

I have been wondering about helicobacter, too. But I've never been tested. And I don't really want to know either - I don't want to imagine what taking three antibiotics would do to my IBS!!!!
My dad did the treatment and his acid reflux returned after a while...

Susaloh

Susaloh: Excellent Post, thanks! n/t new
      #4287 - 03/27/03 01:01 PM
Karin

#4290 - 03/27/03 01:05 PM
Lorna

Thanks for the post! Very helpful information. Cleared up a few questions I had

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4300 - 03/27/03 01:45 PM
susaloh

I would be interested to hear from you what causes your gastritis. As far as I know, stress can cause gastritis (like ulcers), if you 'eat up' your anger and frustration. Otherwise of course coffeine and irregular meals, etc, but you're probably avoiding that anyway because of IBS. Then of course medications on an empty stomach are a main ofender.

I think once you're on a stronger medication, you can basically eat 'normally', all the really bad things we're avoiding anyhow with Heather's diet apart, perhaps, from white meals, etc (altogether, if we weren't sufferering from IBS, a whole grain diet and raw veggies would probably be better for our stomachs)

Well, take care, sorry for you to have this, the symptoms are - almost - worse than IBS! But fortunately it's easy to cure!

Susaloh

Re: Birthday?! new
      #4311 - 03/27/03 02:58 PM
Leanne01

Yes, have fun today!

Re: Susaloh Perhaps a few answers.... new
      #4312 - 03/27/03 03:12 PM
BarbaraS

Have you heard of Barley Green Mix for GERD. I have a friend who swears by it. She hasn't taken her medication for over a year and has very few flare ups.

#4365 - 03/28/03 03:52 AM
tlc

I do have acid reflux a bit - feels like there's a golfball trapped in my throat at times, but it's not too often I feel this way. Thanks for the advice. I thought the doc said it was because my stomach looked like I had 'gravel rash' on it like when you fall off a bike. Goodness knows what she actually meant!

#4366 - 03/28/03 04:26 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

what's gastritis?

Re: P.S. Helicbacter new
      #4368 - 03/28/03 06:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

What is helicbactor? Thanks!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4370 - 03/28/03 06:54 AM
ecmmbm

This is a bacteria (actually helicbacter pylori, sp??) that can infect the stomach and cause gastritis, ulcers, and eventually cause even more serious problems. That is one theory for the cause of my gastritis but we won't know until the biopsies are back.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#4373 - 03/28/03 07:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Michelle,

Thanks so much!

How are you feeling btw? I hope you're feeling well! Are you still going to the group you told us about? How's that going? Hope you have a super weekend--feel good!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4380 - 03/28/03 07:11 AM
SharonMello

Kim - do a SEARCH on GASTRITIS.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#4397 - 03/28/03 08:51 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am wondering the same thing - that and GERD - what is that!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#4424 - 03/28/03 03:01 PM
SharonMello

Lana - hit your SEARCH button and type in GERD. It's gastro esophogeal reflux disease (I think). The search will tell all!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review