All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Mushroom issues?
      #40772 - 01/25/04 09:07 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm so frustrated tonight. I've been so careful lately, and have been feeling pretty good as a result. Now tonight I'm feeling worse than I have in a long time. The only unusual thing I had was a tuna casserole that I made using Imagine Foods creamy mushroom soup in place of the cream of mushroom. I haven't had mushrooms in a long time, because they're not one of my favorite foods, so I'm wondering if I don't tolerate them well. My mom said they give my father gas, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had an even bigger effect on me. Does anyone else have issues with mushrooms?? I'm just curious... although either way I think I'll avoid them for a long time after this!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mushroom issues? new
      #40773 - 01/25/04 09:29 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi there,

This is my first post, and I have to say I've been very impressed with this message board and the friendly nature of it. I think I'm going to be checking it out on a regular basis.

With regards to the mushroom topic. I was wondering the samething myself. I had a fairly safe lunch of chicken breasts, mushrooms and rice and I was feeling awful all day. Normally those foods don't bother me. Ah well, more investigating different foods!

#40779 - 01/25/04 10:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kree - Mushrooms are usually well-tolerated, but maybe they're just not a good veggie for you. I wonder too if avoiding a specific fruit/veggie for a long time and then re-introducing it is something you have to do very carefully. Maybe you just have a harder time tolerating foods if you seldom eat them. This is true for beans, and soy, and fiber in general, so I'm just extrapolating this and it's a bit of a wild theory, but maybe....?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#40939 - 01/26/04 11:49 AM
Kree

JBI, welcome to the boards! This is definitely a wonderful and helpful place. Thanks for your comments... I'm sorry to hear that your lunch bothered you yesterday too! Sometimes trying to figure out what foods bother us is so frustrating, isn't it? The good news is it really does get easier. This is the first attack I've had in almost 6 months, so the diet really does help. Hang in there, we'll get this right eventually!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#40944 - 01/26/04 11:57 AM
Kree

Thanks Heather, you could be right about the problem coming from reintroducing the mushrooms. It has been a long time since I last ate them, so it makes sense that my body might not be used to it. I can't believe they bothered me this much when they were pureed in a soup, though! That's what really gets me. I admit that I haven't been eating green veggies like I should, and I was hoping to start introducing them again soon. I even bought some baby food with peas and green beans. If this soup bothered me, now I'm afraid the baby food will too! I guess this incident just lowered my confidence about what I can and can't tolerate.

--------------------

#40982 - 01/26/04 12:55 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Kree,
As I just said on the other post, I can't eat mushrooms either. What's funny is that my dad loved mushrooms and after he died my mom kept buying them until she finally said to herself, "I don't even LIKE mushrooms, why am I doing this!!" Wisdom of the body???

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#41003 - 01/26/04 01:26 PM
Kree

Lol, that's so funny about your mom. We really are creatures of habit, aren't we?

So no mushrooms for you either? I don't even like them, so it doesn't bother me too much if I have to stop eating them, but I can't believe that's yet another thing you have an intolerance to. What can you eat?

--------------------

#41008 - 01/26/04 01:43 PM
LauraSue

Um, chocolate??!!

Seriously, I do fine. Pasta with sliced chicken. My hubby's homemade chicken soup. Broiled paprika chicken and rice. Spaghetti with clam sauce. Asparagus. Mashed potatoes. Baked potatoes. Vegetable soup. Campbell's good oldfashioned green pea soup. Steamed chicken and chinese vegetables, sauce on the side, when we order in. Grilled chicken sandwiches when I'm out. It's not too hard. We started cooking low fat about 10 years ago so we've got a whole file of great recipes.

And the best part? My husband is the one who cooks!! It's his hobby, his relaxation, he loves it. And it gets better -- he won't let me in "his" kitchen! And he does the grocery shopping. AND he does the dishes and takes out the garbage. When we first met, I just never did those things well enough to suit him, so they became his job! I've never argued!

Also, he's very understanding about my sensitive stomach and very supportive of all the trial and error and elmination diets and special requirements. It's so funny listening to him tell his mom again and again what I can and cannot eat! She just doesn't get it, but he does! I'm a very lucky girl and I count my blessings every day. Maybe that's why I believe in miracles.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#41016 - 01/26/04 02:11 PM
Kree

Laura, you have such a great positive attitude! It's contagious, and I really needed that today. Thanks!

It does sound like you do okay for yourself! Lots of yummy foods in that list. And that's so great that your hubby does the cooking for you! As much as I enjoy cooking from time to time, I have to find a man like that! And the fact that he's supportive of you and your dietary needs makes him even better. It sounds like you really have a keeper there! I know how important it is to have supportive friends and family!

And by the way, I believe in miracles too.

--------------------

#41058 - 01/26/04 05:19 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I don't have problems with mushrooms, but I ate the Imagine tomato soup, and felt very bad the next day. Never to eat it again. I also have the cr. of mushroom soup and squash soup, which now I am afraid to try. Also, the last time that I ate tuna, it did not make me feel good either, so I have not tried it again. The tuna casserole recipe does sound good, but is it worth the risk:( Hope that you feel better.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#41085 - 01/26/04 06:44 PM
Kree

Marjo, that's too bad that their tomato soup bothered you! I have that one frequently and I'm fine with it. I've also had their squash without a problem, but it was a little bland so I had to add a bunch of spices. Isn't it weird how some things bother us and others don't?? I hope if you do try the other soups they work for you. And as for the tuna casserole, you're right, I'd rather skip it than feel like this again!

--------------------

Mushroom virses Beano. First time the food won out. new
      #41118 - 01/26/04 09:55 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Went to a Chinese buffet the other night and they had these cooked yummy mushrooms. All I wanted was the rice and the mushrooms. I took my 3 Beano and dove in..........shear heaven and I stuffed myself silly.........but it was the first time, ever, that the Beano did NOT work. Guess I'd needed 6 Beano for the amount of mushrooms I ate.

Anyway, yes you have to ease yourself into something. I hadn't eaten beans for a year.......now, taking baby steps, one tablespoon one time and then 2 the next, I've been able to work up to about 1/3 cup. That's plenty and I'm happy. The easiest one for me to tolerate is the canned Bush baked beans.

--------------------

Tuna casserole note... new
      #41127 - 01/26/04 10:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you can always make this without mushrooms, and just with onions and celery.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Kree, here's what I think new
      #41142 - 01/27/04 05:32 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

If you don't like them too much, dont worry about it, am I right? And I'm sure you checked, but could you be throwing the baby out with the bathwater? Were there questionable ingredients besides the mushrooms in this soup? And how much of it did you have? Or what did you have the most of to eat that day? These are just questions I'm asking 'cause I feel that there's a mystery on our hands. It seems easy to blame the mushrooms if you don't like 'em too much and you know your father doesn't tolerate 'em, but the real culprit may be running free! I apologize for my rant - maybe I like mushrooms too much, or maybe it's too early in the morning to be posting...You're probably right about the mushrooms. Have a nice day Kree - feel better!

*evie

Re: Mushroom virses Beano. First time the food won out. new
      #41183 - 01/27/04 08:56 AM
LauraSue

Love those baked beans, Kandee! Grew up on them.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Cooking Hubby new
      #41184 - 01/27/04 08:58 AM
LauraSue

Thanks, Kree! It only took me 23 years to train him!! He was what I'd call a diamond in the rough when I met him and I mean ROUGH!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I keep searching but can't find the recipe!-nt new
      #41194 - 01/27/04 09:16 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Re: Kree, here's what I think new
      #41199 - 01/27/04 09:27 AM
Kree

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater... I love that expression, lol. Anyway, that's certainly a good thought, Evie, but I'm pretty sure the soup was safe otherwise. The ingredients are: filtered water, portobello mushrooms, organic onions, organic soymilk, organic celery, organic rice flour, organic expeller pressed safflower oil, sea salt, and organic spices. I don't think there's anything fishy in there, is there? The only other ingredients in the casserole were tuna, pasta, and seasonings! It was actually pretty bland, so it's really annoying that it bothered me... I could have eaten a hot fudge sundae for that pain! Lol. Anyway, don't appologize, it was a good thought. You're completely right, I don't mind missing out on mushrooms so that isn't a big deal!

--------------------

Re: Tuna casserole note... new
      #41200 - 01/27/04 09:28 AM
Kree

Quote:

you can always make this without mushrooms, and just with onions and celery.

- Heather

Thanks Heather! I'll definitely be trying a different recipe next time anyway. This one wasn't so great.

--------------------

Re: Mushroom virses Beano. First time the food won out. new
      #41201 - 01/27/04 09:30 AM
Kree

Kandee, so sorry the Beano failed you the other night! I guess we all have to learn our lessons the hard way sometimes, don't we?? Augh. Anyway, thanks for the advice about easing into things. I guess that's what I'll have to do. I'm so glad your plan to ease into the beans is working well for you! I haven't risked beans yet, but they're on my list of foods to reintroduce, so I'll be in the same boat soon. At least now I have your good example to follow!

--------------------

Re: Cooking Hubby new
      #41203 - 01/27/04 09:31 AM
Kree

Quote:

Thanks, Kree! It only took me 23 years to train him!! He was what I'd call a diamond in the rough when I met him and I mean ROUGH!

Lol, Laura, good for you for whipping him into shape!!

--------------------

Tuna Casserole Recipe new
      #41220 - 01/27/04 10:17 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

This one was in one of the newsletters. If you search by changing the date to all posts, you can find it. But, here it is for a quick link: NOTE: this is not the "bad" recipe that Kree posted about.
Tuna Casserole

Edited by Karin (01/27/04 10:30 AM)

Re: Tuna Casserole Recipe new
      #41221 - 01/27/04 10:25 AM
Kree

That's actually not the one I tried, so don't get negative ideas about it from my posts! That one looks a lot better...

--------------------

Re: Tuna Casserole Recipe new
      #41223 - 01/27/04 10:31 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Thanks for the clarification, I made a note on the post about it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review