All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
metamucil backfire!
      #4045 - 03/25/03 10:12 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I had two tablespoons of metamucil for the first time this morning(Iusually have 1 t.3x/day) and it backfired! IT went through me. It has been fine up to now the way I had been taking it. Of course, this was on an empty stomach, I DON'T know if that should make any difference or not. :confused:

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: metamucil backfire! new
      #4049 - 03/25/03 10:31 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You have to increase a soluble fiber supplement gradually. From 1 t to 2T in a single dose is a huge increase. Try going to 2 t for a dose instead, and stay there for several days or a week. Then increase by another 1 t per dose. Keep going gradually until you're at 2T per dose, twice daily.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4050 - 03/25/03 10:39 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Heather- I am just taking 1tbsp. at bed and find things are fine. It sounds though like I should be 2tbsp. twice daily-correct?? If that is the case-I would need 2T in 16oz. of water,plus extra water after????? I just started the fibre a month ago, so I have not really added anymore yet.

#4052 - 03/25/03 10:46 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If you're well stabilized at 1T, then by all means stay there. 2T twice daily is basically the amount at which someone should have close to total resolution of diarrhea or constipation. But if it doesn't take that much for you, that's fine.

If you want to increase, you can take the 2T in 8oz of water as long as you have another glass of water right after that. I find it easier to take a smaller glass of the fiber itself, then a larger glass of plain water.

If you do increase, do it gradually. Maybe keep the 1T at night and add 1T in the morning, and stay there for a week. Then increase each dose by a teaspoon or so and try that for another week. Keep gradually increasing - there's no rush.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4055 - 03/25/03 11:25 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Thanks Heather; I thought that was probably the problem and two t. sounds good to me, but I was thinking of even going back to the 1t. until I get stable again and then try for 2 t's. :o

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 785

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review