All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Heather is slippery elm soluable fiber?
      #38358 - 01/17/04 01:55 PM

Unregistered

Hi

Sorry I haven't had a chance to go onto the board for a long time but my computer is broken!

I was wondering if slippery elm is a solulable fiber because it helps with D & C and it makes a gel in the colon?

I don't seem to have much luck with any soluable fibers and even have problems with oatmeal now!!!!

I tried the acacia powder and can't stop using the washroom. I'm not sure if I have a flu or if it is the powder. I started using it a week ago and put it in gel capsules and take 1 or 2 day. Is that an unusual experience?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather is slippery elm soluable fiber? new
      #38458 - 01/17/04 07:23 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm not sure about slippery elm being soluble fiber, but how did put acacia in gel capsules? That sounds interesting.

Also, what's your dose at for the acacia? Maybe you started out too much?

Hope you're feeling better soon.

#38559 - 01/18/04 10:45 AM

Unregistered

Hi Mags!

What I do is buy the gel caps from my local health food store and just take the capsule dip it in the powder till it is compacted in and put the cap on the top. Pretty easy though it does say on the Acacia bottle that it may be a skin irritant (though it doesn't bother me). The pharmacist that I bought the Acacia powder from said that he would put them in gel caps for me if I wanted instead of having to do it myself.

I never measured a capsule to see how much it is but it's in the teaspoon range. Then I just carry them around with my purse and a bottle of water. I can't stand drinking things like that straight so I take the cheating route. LOL!

I'm still having some problems with it so I lowered my dosage to one capsule a day.

If anyone does have info on the slippery elm please let me know. I take it often when i'm not feeling well and have an easy time with it. It's great especially if you can't eat too cause it gives you nutrients and has lots of great healing properties from fever, d & c, and lots of others. :}

Edited by Robyn (01/18/04 10:49 AM)

#38632 - 01/18/04 03:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Robyn!

I forgot to tell you before that it's good to see you back on the boards.

Wow - I never saw the thing on the Acacia about being a skin irritant. If something could be a skin irritant, why would you want to take the chance of swallowing it!

That's pretty neat with the gel caps. Good luck on your slippery elm quest.

#38986 - 01/19/04 04:49 PM

Unregistered

I'm starting to think that nobody knows the answer to my question!!! :{ Is slippery elm a soulable fiber? I've e-mailed the company I purchase it from in the past and never heard back from them.

Yep, Mafs it's says right in my container about acacia being a possible skin irritant but it didn't really bother me when I filled my capsules and the pharmacist I bought it from didn't say it would bother my IBS (internally) and he is very respected and knows a lot.

I would love to find out that slippery elm is a soluable fiber cause I can handle it so easily but maybe in that lies my answer because I can't seem to handle any types of fibers! :{ If I find out i'll let everyone know.

As for me being back it may be somewhat infrequent because it's my mother board that needs to be replaced. Sob!!

Talk to you all later.

Heather ? ?? Anyone????? new
      #39145 - 01/20/04 11:08 AM

Unregistered

I am so uspset that no one has an answer for me about my slippery elm questions! I even e-mailed the makers of the slippery elm that I purchase and haven't received a reply and it's been at least 4 months!!!!

Here's what I have found out about slippery elm so far ... it is great if you have a fever or can't eat because it gives you the much needed nutrients, it can be used as an enima, a poultice, and is a water soluable silicon. It acts as a gel like Acacia in the colon and even soothes inflammed mucus membranes.

So i'm still wondering if it can be used to help IBS for people who just can't handle fiber including the soluable kind? I know I need the soluable fiber but every type I have tired causes so much stress, pain and sickness that I don't know what soluable fibers are left for me to use.

If anyone knows please e-mail me back and let me know!

Re: Heather ? ?? Anyone????? new
      #39156 - 01/20/04 11:44 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - it shouldn't hurt. I honestly don't know if it's a soluble fiber or not. But it's a safe supplement that does have anti-inflammatory properties. I'd say try it, and if it helps then definitely continue.

Also - I don't know if the Acacia in caps will work well or not. Try taking it as a powder dissolved in liquid - you'll probably have better results. You'll also need to work up to a much larger dose than what you could fit in a gel cap. Those things are very tiny - you're probably only getting about 1/4 tsp in there.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather is slippery elm soluble fiber? new
      #39164 - 01/20/04 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Our Acacia is not a skin irritant. It doesn't say anything like that on our label. I'm not sure what product you're using, but it isn't our Tummy Fiber. There's no problem at all getting our Acacia on your skin.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#39170 - 01/20/04 12:30 PM

Unregistered

Hi Heather

I check which brand it is that I purchased. It was at a local drugstore cause I live in Canada maybe that's the difference between yours and the product that I purchased.

#39171 - 01/20/04 12:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Thanks Robyn. I've never even heard of Acacia being available in Canada. It's not out in shops in the US, though it's commonly used as an ingredient in food products and such.

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1590 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23995

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review