All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
An awful attack, is RYE the culprit? Please help!!!
      #380 - 02/04/03 11:43 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Hello all,
I have just had an awful attack and need some help in pinpointing what may have been the culprit. It hasn't happened for such a long time but it was a whopper - cramping, bloating, followed by diarrhea.
I have an idea it might be due to a piece of Spiced rye bread which I ate on an empty (and I was VERY hungry) stomach. Ten minutes after, I (very naughtily) had a cup of decaf coffee. On returning home I drunk 2 cups of peppermint tea and some water and then bang - the awful cramping started.
Other than that, today I have eaten white bread, a bit of green been purée, some cornflakes and a nit of low fat cake. I did have a piece of spiced rye bread after my cornflakes in the morning and I did have stomach pain but not so severe. So is this the nasty culprit that I should immediately throw in the bin?? Was it just the fact I ate on a very hungry tummy? Does anyone else eat rye and get away with it?

Hope you can help,
Claire

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: An awful attack, is RYE the culprit? Please help!!! new
      #381 - 02/04/03 01:16 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Rye bread is not a trigger for me, but everyone is different. I know you don't want to go through the pain again, but you might want to try it again.

Has anyone around you had the stomach flu? Sometimes I just can't find a connect to my attacks and I figure maybe I just caught a bug somewhere.

Anyway, hope your feeling better soon!

#395 - 02/04/03 04:03 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Could be both that you find rye sensitive and that you ate it on an empty stomach. The only flour I can tolerate is white. Whole wheat, rye, oat, multigrain etc. all cause attacks. I think we should start an "I miss coffee club."

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#416 - 02/05/03 12:29 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

What about a LWWL Club (Luke Warm Water Lovers)? Nobody else in the world would ever drink warm water and be proud of it!!!
Susaloh

#424 - 02/05/03 10:02 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Amen on the "I miss coffee club"

#449 - 02/05/03 08:18 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

YAY for lukewarm water.;)

Beth

More likely it was the coffee.. new
      #451 - 02/05/03 09:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Even decaf can be a horrible trigger. Coffee beans have an enzyme that is a really powerful GI tract irritant. The enzyme is in decaf coffee as well.

Rye is usually a fairly tolerable whole grain, but it just might not be for you. Sometimes rye has seeds in the crust, and that can be a bit too much insoluble fiber for an empty stomach. And I'm not sure what spiced rye is - there may have been something else in there that bothered you too.

Sorry about the coffee - I know so many folks really miss it.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 740 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review