All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tea and Pregnancy
      #37734 - 01/15/04 02:07 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Does anyone know if tea is safe during pregnancy or when trying to conceive? I drink Traditional Medicinals "Eater's Digest" and Celestial Seasonings "Tummy Mint".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tea and Pregnancy new
      #37742 - 01/15/04 02:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Depends on what kind of tea, or what kinds of herbs. Peppermint and fennel are generally considered very safe in pregnancy. So is regular green or black tea. For other herbs, you can do an internet search or even ask a local herbalist. Pharmacists will sometimes know as well.

In general, a mainstream herbal tea on the market is going to be safe for general use unless the label says otherwise. If they label it to check with a doc when you're pregnant or nursing, then go ahead and check. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, soluble fiber supplements are also very safe for pregnant women, and actually often recommended by docs for constipation. This is a case where I'd want to choose either Acacia or Benefiber, as they're the only ones I know of that have nothing added to them. I wouldn't want the artificial colors, sweeteners, flavors, etc.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#37745 - 01/15/04 02:17 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

The problem with regular teas is the caffeine...and because of the IBS diet we can't have caffeine so I think you should be ok.

Just remember everything in moderation!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#37756 - 01/15/04 03:03 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

oooooooooooo wait until Bev looks at this and sees that you drink Celestial! She'll praise you for that one!! And also, if you're already pregnant, some people's IBS goes into "remission" so maybe you should test that out? lol just a thought, but I don't know if it's reccomended

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#37759 - 01/15/04 03:14 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Most teas are safe while pregnant in moderation, but no caffiene.. It can prolong your or cause complications in the process of laboring, especially anything with caffiene.
It happened to me with my first child and I was in labor for
31 hours no dialation. They had to give me the syrup to get me dialated and back in the days I drank Pepsi and tea with caffiene.

#37772 - 01/15/04 04:12 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I apologize, but I have to disagree. My doctor told me I can have one cup of something with caffeine a day. As long as it is in moderation anything is ok is what was told to me.

I guess everyone is different though

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Lana's right... new
      #37778 - 01/15/04 04:53 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Must be a European thing because my mom was allowed small doses of caffine too - as well as most of my friends that are having babies right now.

Definitely talk to your doctor, though!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review