All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Should I up my dose of Acacia fiber?
      #373656 - 01/29/18 09:33 AM
Texastornado

Reged: 09/17/11

Gosh! I haven't been on this board in years! I've been taking the Acacia fiber for well over 5 years now. I'm not even sure how long. I know it works. I also use the Fennel tea, nightly. So, I'm out of the loop on new things but have been trying to catch up to see if anything new has come out to help with ibs-d. I'm here today for advice on the Acacia fiber. I've always taken 1 tsp a day, in the mornings with breakfast. I still have issues with ibs-d at least twice a week, sometimes less (mainly urgency to get to the restroom). I'm wondering if it's time to up the dose? Do you think it would help? What could be the worse thing to happen? Constipation? I was researching the Vitamin D again, but then thought that maybe just upping the Acacia would work. Thoughts? Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Should I up my dose of Acacia fiber? new
      #373660 - 01/29/18 02:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi- yes, definitely up your dose. You want at least two doses a day, as soluble fiber only works when it is in your gut.

Add an extra 1 tsp dose to the evening. Stay at the 1 tsp in am and 1 tsp in pm for a few days. Then add an extra 1/2 tsp to one dose. Wait a few days, then add an extra 1/2 tsp to other dose.

Continue the slow, steady increase. Diarrhea should totally resolve at 1-3 tablespoons per day, total. If you feel really stable at a lower dose, stay there.

Soluble fiber CANNOT turn diarrhea to constipation or vice versa. It's just a bowel regulator - see here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp

XOOX
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Should I up my dose of Acacia fiber? new
      #373662 - 01/30/18 11:28 AM
Texastornado

Reged: 09/17/11

Thank you! I'll do that. I don't know why this just clicked with me. I guess i was just grateful that your acacia fiber was doing some good and had it somewhat under control with just 1 tsp all these years. But I would be even more grateful to have it completely taken care of. Thanks again for getting back with me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review