Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to eat during an attack
      #373500 - 12/22/16 09:26 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Hi,

I am not quite sure what to eat when my stomach is irritated during an attack. I am IBS-C and feel like when an attack comes on if I go reduce the IF, and just go with SF, then I end up more constipated. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat during an attack new
      #373501 - 12/28/16 12:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Try keeping your soluble fiber foods up and adding in insoluble fiber in the safest possible ways. Skin, chop, peel, cook, and puree veggies into a soup or sauce for rice or noodles. Make a blender smoothie of fresh fruit that is completely pulverized smooth, and have with cream of rice cereal, etc.

Keep up your strong, hot herbal teas to relax the gut and stop the spasms, bloating, etc.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373502 - 12/29/16 04:32 AM
AndrewIBSC

Thanks for the reply Heather. I am finding that when I do BTC I sleep better (weird) and have less pain but suffer from constipation. I am going to keep going and implement your suggestions. One question, I drink your fennel and peppermint teas but also have started adding two drops of peppermint essential oil to the water bottle I drink my acacia fiber out of. I am wondering if this may be contributing to my constipation. What do you think?

Thanks in advance, I really value your input.

Take care,

Andrew

#373503 - 12/29/16 01:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Andrew - peppermint in any form shouldn't cause or worsen constipation. If anything, by relaxing the gut, it can sometimes help IBS constipation that has spasms/cramping.

I'd gradually increase your acacia dosage. It's not uncommon for constipation to take 3-5 tablespoons per day to resolve - but you'd need to get up there slowly and gradually.

Please keep me posted!

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373507 - 01/05/17 10:38 AM
AndrewIBSC

Hi Heather:

I am somewhat at a loss for how to proceed. Whenever I do break the cycle it is very hard for me to reincorporate IF back in. Yesterday the only IF I had was nori in a shrimp avocado roll and it caused an attack. I also had SFS before eating and ate peeled boiled potatoes and a half a banana with it.

I have worked up to 30 grams of acacia fiber and am still experiencing spasms. My colon seems to spasm no matter what I eat but just more so when I eat IF. I have been on the diet now for 7 months, and have not cheated once. I also practice mindfulness, yoga, and workout everyday. Additionally I drink at least 128 ounces of liquid per day. Are there any other suggestions you may have?

Edited by AndrewIBSC (01/05/17 11:31 AM)

#373516 - 01/20/17 07:42 AM
AndrewIBSC

I'm not sure how long this post will last, before being censored but if one person sees it and it helps than it served its purpose. After 8 months on heathers diet and only slight improvement of constipation I decided to try FODMAPS with a certified FODMAP dietician. I was following Heathers diet to the tee...30 grams SFS, no trigger foods, grazing, etc. I had so much bloating and other symptoms.

Fast forward to now. One week on FODMAPS and I feel great about what I am eating (whole foods, nutrient based foods, etc. Constipation, bloating and pain are completely resolved. Heather's diet may work for some but IMHO is dangerous for others.

GLTA!

Glad you got help new
      #373518 - 01/20/17 10:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

The low FODMAPS helps a lot of folks with about IBS, but doesn't work at all for about 20-30%.

There's nothing dangerous at all about the Eating for IBS diet, whether you have IBS or not.

Please make sure you continue to watch out for high fat triggers, and GI irritants such as coffee, alcohol, etc. and be careful with insoluble fiber. The FODMAPS won't account for those at all.

Best,
H

--------------------

Re: Glad you got help new
      #373519 - 01/26/17 04:49 AM
AndrewIBSC

Thanks Heather,

I appreciate your reply. I plan on continuing to use your acacia because it certainly helps me cushion the IF I am eating on the FODMAP diet. My dietician said that acacia fiber has not been evaluated for FODMAP content. Can you let me know how you know it has no FODMAPS so I can communicate it to her? I appreciate your help.

Take care,

Andrew

Re: Glad you got help new
      #373527 - 01/30/17 05:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Andrew - yes, no worries, the Acacia Tummy Fiber contains no FODMAPS at all. Acacia is a whole food, prebiotic soluble fiber that ferments very slowly in the gut.

Our fiber is completely unrelated to other prebiotics such as inulin and FOS, which are by-products of food manufacturing processes. Inulin and FOS ferment very rapidly in the gut and can cause terrible bloating and gas.

The Tummy Fiber has a certificate of analysis from our raw materials supplier verifying that the acacia senegal does not contain, nor is it related to foods that do contain:

Fructans
Galactans
Polyols
Fructose
Lactose

We have a formal statement from our acacia supplier (they own and harvest the orchards, and do all of the processing of the raw gum - they're the oldest and largest acacia supplier in the world) confirming that our Tummy Fiber is FODMAPS free.

Tummy Fiber has a "good gastrointestinal tolerance" because it is so unlikely to cause gas and bloating. It is a prebiotic, but unlike FOS and inulin, acacia ferments very slowly in the gut, which creates an environment that encourages the growth of healthy gut bacteria and actively reduces gas and bloating with regular use.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review