All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fibercon - Please Help
      #372907 - 08/01/16 02:36 PM
bvickers1182

Reged: 08/01/16

I have been going through a rough patch with my IBS. I was diagnosed with IBS-C over 10 years ago. I was told to start taking fibercon 1-2 pills with each meal (didnt matter when just before during or after a meal). I was taken 1 pill with a smaller breakfast and 2 pills with lunch and dinner. I started that and my life was changed for the better. Fast forward to the end of January I started to get D and couldn't get it turned around. I went to the doctor and and they prescribed buspar to help with my aniexty. It helped and I was back to normal but then within a few weeks I was back to D. I am still taken fibercon but one day it could be good the next it's bad news.

Is there a reason why fibercon has stopped working for me? I thought it was suppose to be bulk forming but it hasn't work like that for me in awhile.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Probably the dose, or the drug is causing side effects... new
      #372909 - 08/02/16 10:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Fibercon is only half a gram of fiber per pill. Diarrhea can often take 10-15 grams per day of a soluble fiber supplement, which would mean 20-30 pills.

You had resolved at a drastically lower dose, which is wonderful. But the buspar may be causing GI side effects and exacerbating the diarrhea, so now you need more soluble fiber. Or whatever set you off in January in the first place is just going to take more soluble fiber to resolve.

Try gradually increasing your dose and see if that helps. It should.

More info about soluble fiber supplements, dosages, etc. here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp

XXOO

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Probably the dose, or the drug is causing side effects... new
      #372917 - 08/07/16 09:34 AM
bvickers1182

Reged: 08/01/16

So are you saying to start taking 2 pills with breakfast and 3 pills with lunch and dinner? and work up from there?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3014

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review