All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
my story re: getting mostly stable and some Qs re heather's diet vs. fodmaps approach- thanks!
      #372805 - 05/09/16 07:43 AM
amichael

Reged: 05/09/16

Hi All -- and especially Heather if she happens to read this,

I am a 38 year old man who was diagnosed with IBS about 10 years ago. I feel very lucky because i found the helpforibs.com website soon after and it really helped me learn about what I could do to take charge of my situation. All those years ago, I was struggling with indigestion, diarrhea, and bloating. It was a very stressful time and I would feel despair at how tricky eating was for me. Learning about soluble versus insoluble fiber helped right away. For several years now, it has become rare that I have an attack of diarrhea.

What can continue to be frustrating is gas, bloating, or bowel movements that are incomplete/not easily passed (sorry for the visual). With all of the recent talk of FODMAPS, I have also tried to incorporate some of those guidelines too. What I did notice was that restricting wheat (good quality white bread had become a stable because of the soluble fiber) has significantly reduced painful bloating and somewhat normalized by bowel movements. So i guess I feel like I am at a bit of crossroads in that so many of the soluble fiber foods that I had been relying on (apple sauce, mangoes, pears, white bread) are high in fodmaps. I haven't been able to find breath testing here in Toronto, Canada but wonder if that would be useful. I guess I am just feeling unsure about how to proceed.

ALso, and I imagine I am not the only one, it can be so confusing how some foods seem so fine at certain times and soooo not fine at others -- IBS can be mysterious!

Thanks so much for letting me share,
Adam

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my story re: getting mostly stable and some Qs re heather's diet vs. fodmaps approach- thanks! new
      #372807 - 05/10/16 09:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - if you can find a local dietitian who knows both FODMAPs and IBS, that's the best bet to try and run down your specific FODMAPs intolerances. Then, key that info to getting the soluble fiber foundation foods that work for you, incorporating the insoluble fiber foods that work for you, etc.

It sounds like fructans are an issue if you have trouble with white breads (this is assuming you've been checked for celiac and gluten intolerance has been ruled out). So you'd have to watch out for wheat and onions and garlic, for sure.

Choose other soluble fiber foundation foods - rice, oatmeal, cornmeal, cooked peeled root veggies, quinoa, etc.

And yes, sometimes foods are fine and other times the same damn thing will get you - it can come down to HOW you eat - how much, how fast, empty stomach, under stress, with or without soluble fiber, etc - check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/how_to_eat.asp and scroll down that page a bit for tips and tricks.

Please keep us posted!

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2481 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1873

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review