All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
help for my bloating and gas PLEASE
      #372796 - 05/03/16 01:02 PM
nataliablackj

Reged: 05/03/16

Hi all! And Hi Heather :-) thank you for all your wonderful work and information. I have your book, and your fiber powder, as well as the tummy tamers (I ran out, but more are in the mail) this message is a cry for help towards anyone who might relate to what I'm going through. I've been following a strict combination of both low fodmap and eating for ibs diets. I have been diagnosed by a gi, and the past two years have been a literal hell. I got put on some non-addictive anxiety medication, and do a lot of meditation as well- because I know my anxiety is a contributing factor. Between that, following the diets, and taking a combination of Heather's supplements- I had a bout of relief from my symptoms. Recently I had an iud put in, and also switched jobs- which has been incredibly stressful. I don't know if it's the hormones from the iud, or the stress from switching jobs, or that I ran out of the peppermint pills- but my symptoms have been HORRIBLE. There seems to be no safe food. Everytime I eat, I bloat up and have so much pressure- followed by SO MUCH awful gas. I feel so helpless. I try to drink sips of kombucha, not sure if that helps. It seems to be worse after I eat any sort of meat- and the only meat I eat is deli turkey and chicken. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help for my bloating and gas PLEASE new
      #372797 - 05/03/16 03:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Natalia - please check in with your ob/gyn. Hormonal fluctuations of any kind can greatly affect IBS, for better or worse. I believe with IUDs it can sometimes take several months for your body to adapt in terms of bleeding, cramps, etc. so I would not be surprised to learn that timeframe can also apply to the hormonal influence on IBS.

In the meantime - keep doing everything else, as all sounds good. The new job stress could definitely be a trigger, and hopefully that will ease quickly as you become comfy.

The instant bloating combined with your FODMAPS issues makes me think there is a culprit in something you're eating - maybe a hidden one. Deli meats are suspicious - unless you can literally read the ingredients on the package, you don't quite know what's in there.

Watch out for inulin and FOS - they are being added to everything. Check the kombucha for suspicious ingredients too - you just never know.

Please keep me posted.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372798 - 05/03/16 08:14 PM
nataliablackj

Thank you so much for responding to me Heather, it means a lot. What you do is really special. I feel so helpless and anxious about my stomach, which perpetuates the cycle- it helps to know there's support. I read up on the iud and ibs- lots of people said they had flare ups. Part of me wants to get it taken out immediately. But then I also want to wait it out and see if I adjust, because my periods are so bad, and all the ibuprofen I take for the cramps can't be helping. I'm going to call them and ask about it tomorrow. Also got some fennel to chew on. And am going to eat nothing but rice, oatmeal, and bananas for the next few days. The inulin.and FOS will be right on the labels? I also drink yerba matte, I can't go without caffeine- so I've cut the coffee out and switched to that for now. Thank you so much!

#372799 - 05/04/16 10:10 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - hang in there, it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Inulin and FOS will be in the list of ingredients, yes.

You might avoid the yerba matte and just use regular old black or green tea for the caffeine - see if that helps.

Chewing the fennel seed will help, as will brewing the seeds into a tea.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372800 - 05/04/16 12:31 PM
nataliablackj

Thank you so much, I'm getting the iud taken out next Saturday- because I really think it's what's causing this awful flare up. Take care!

#372801 - 05/04/16 03:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Good luck - I'm so sorry about this.

It was a hormonal IUD, not copper, correct? That could make a big difference.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 737 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review