All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Artificial Sweeteners
      #372732 - 02/23/16 10:14 AM
jeddeth

Reged: 02/23/16

Hello! This is my first post, but I have been reading the forums for a few months and I just read "The First Year" and have been incorporating soluble fiber and limiting fat, meat, and dairy. I think I am on the right track thanks to all of Heather's advice!

Today's newsletter was very interesting an informative. I have been using Truvia for a while (a Stevia based sweetner) and I think it's been great for me. However, I noticed, by looking up the ingredients on wikipedia, that it is made in part with Erythritol, a sugar alcohol. I guess this means I should switch to a pure stevia alternative?

Does anyone have a Stevia brand they can recommend that is not made with Erythritol?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes - stevia is fine, Truvia is NOT. - nt- new
      #372733 - 02/23/16 12:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Erythritol is a sugar alcohol but not an IBS trigger new
      #372740 - 02/28/16 07:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Erythritol is a 4-carbon sugar alcohol that unlike other sugar alcohols (sorbitol, manitol, etc) is easily and completely absorbed in the small intestine. It is low FODMAP. It never gets to the colon like other sugar alcohols were it can be fermented by colonic bacteria to produce gas etc worsening IBS symptoms. Here is a great article on this topic

Erythritol

And here is a scientific article that gives a lot more details published in the prestigious journal Nature

"Consumption of 20 and 35 g erythritol by healthy volunteers, in a liquid, is tolerated well, without any symptoms. At the highest level of erythritol intake (50 g), only a significant increase in borborygmi and nausea was observed, whereas xylitol intake at this level induced a significant increase in watery faeces."

Gastrointestinal tolerance of erythritol and xylitol ingested in a liquid

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Yes - stevia is fine, Truvia is NOT. - nt- new
      #372751 - 03/05/16 12:26 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

I recently bought some white cake with white frosting and lemon ribbons on top. After I had a problem, I read the label and found out that it contained SORBITOL! Never again will I buy this product!

But my husband ate it and was fine since he does not have IBS!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1833 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review