All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie - peppermint capsules user with questions
      #372688 - 02/02/16 05:18 AM
CaraM

Reged: 01/31/16

Poop (pun intended)!

I thought I posted this last night, but I guess I only got as far as the "preview." Hope I can remember what I wanted to ask!

I know I should contact customer service with questions about how to use the peppermint capsules, but thought I'd try the forum for feedback, first.

I will be taking them in hopes of them alleviating gas/bloating/gurgling - and constipation, too, if they can.

The dose is 1-3 capsules a day. Is it best to start out taking 3, and back off if they seem to be working, or (as I'd prefer, to save $) start with 1 a day and build up if they DON'T seem to have the desired effect? (NOTE: had trouble posting this so am now on day 2 - and definitely having heartburn/metallic taste. Will try to take earlier in the a.m.)

And how long should I give before I determine if they're NOT effective?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Start with one a day.. new
      #372689 - 02/02/16 09:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and then if you need to, go to two, or then three. They are completely take as needed, so you can adjust your dose each day as needed.

They work best taken in advance of symptoms - so if mornings are rough, take one last thing at night before you go to bed.

You should know within a few days if they're going to help. I use them before restaurants meals.

XXOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Start with one a day.. new
      #372690 - 02/02/16 09:45 AM
CaraM

Thanks for the quick response. I wondered about nighttime -- so, that's okay?

You say you use before restaurant meals - meaning ONLY then? I would love to take these ONLY 'as needed,' but realize that I never really know what's going to set me off, so one a day seems like a great alternative, if that can work for me.

Thanks again!

#372691 - 02/02/16 10:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I use them religiously before restaurant meals, because I just don't trust restaurants. There is always more fat in those meals than I'm used to.

Other than that, I don't use every day, unless I feel "touchy" or if I'm traveling.

But - if you're not stable to the point of being good more days than most, try using them every day to help get to that point.

And I do love them last thing at night - I'm not a morning person, and the earlier I have to get up the worse I feel, so if I know I have an early frantic morning coming up I take a pep cap before bed and then as soon as I get up in the morning I have a cup of pep tea.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372713 - 02/11/16 06:54 AM
CaraM

This has worked out wonderfully for me, so far. I know I haven't been taking these for long, and I suspect that my system may eventually "adjust" to them and symptoms might return (that has happened to me in the past, with other treatments). But, right now, one capsule at night is causing a bit of metallic-taste-as-symptom-of-gerd, but I'm happy to live with that in return for the lessening of my other gut-related symptoms. Bloating and gas have dropped off dramatically.

Thanks, Heather!

#372871 - 06/21/16 10:54 AM
CaraM

Okay - for about 4+ months, now, one pill every night before bed has helped me immensely. Now, for reasons I do not understand (no changes in diet, situation, stress, etc.) I am having bloating/gas/freq. BM symptoms again.

I'm really hoping that my prediction that the peppermint caps would stop working for me eventually is NOT coming true. Has that happened to others, though?

#372873 - 06/21/16 04:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - it's a little weird for something to stop working, but not unheard of. Usually there is another factor in play that's whacked your gut back out of stability. Hot, humid weather where you are? That could do it.

Try adding in a second capsule. You can take up to three a day.

If your symptoms are consistently hitting at the same-ish time of day try to take the cap in advance of that.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

#373567 - 03/15/17 12:22 PM
CaraM

Back again. Need some follow-up advice.

The capsules definitely work for me. My gut isn't perfect, but it's so very very much better.

Unfortunately, I think heartburn is a big problem for me. I have been taking one capsule before bed (3+ hours after eating) with a small capful of water to get it down. I try to sit up for a bit, in bed, to avoid heartburn, but usually have it anyway.

I went off the peppermints, thinking that maybe the probiotics I'm on now would be enough, but I think I need the peppermint again. Trying to decide if taking one every 2 days is enough, or if I need to figure out a different time of day, when I'll be upright after the capsule - but when? I can't take after breakfast, on a full stomach. If I try to take them at work, I will forget. If I take one when I get home, I'll be eating soon after.

When do others who find that the peppermint helps but causes heartburn, take their capsules?

thanks

#373613 - 07/15/17 05:17 AM
CaraM

Further consideration (and home testing) of my issues is making me think that I may have low stomach acid, and that the peppermint, which helps with some symptoms also makes some others worse. So I've stopped them. I have highly limited access to non-quack natural medicine. There's a local firm that does Heidelberg capsule testing, but they are ridiculously expensive and money focused, and get some lousy reviews. I'm afraid to do the self treatment with HCL because I'm worried that I may have an ulcer. I have a doc appointment but have to wait a month to see a good doc. I'm taking DGL and considering aloe Vera to lessen any ulcer impacts until I get diagnosed. Any other suggestions?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review