All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fodmaps
      #372497 - 09/30/15 06:17 PM
Cassie123

Reged: 09/30/15

I am still navigating the horrors of ibs, however, I am curious about others take in fodmaps. I avoid them and do better, but am living on rice and chicken. If fodmaps are a common trigger why are they not considered in the "first year of ibs" or heathers recipies here on the site. Most food suggestions have high fodmaps in them. Any suggestions are welcome! I am so frustrated by everything and I am so tired of rice and chicken.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fodmaps new
      #372500 - 10/02/15 03:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Heather's book was written before the FODMAP diet was developed and proven to be effective. Here is a link to a great web site with loads of low FODMAP recipes.

A Little Bit Yummy - FODMAP recipes

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#372502 - 10/02/15 12:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Cassie,

For the FODMAP question, I know IBS advice can seem overwhelming and contradictory but there are a lot of clear, easy steps to take that should get you feeling better quickly.

First of all, before you can even accept a diagnosis of IBS, you need to be tested for gluten intolerance (celiac), fructose intolerance, and lactose intolerance. All of these can mimic IBS but they are different problems, and require different dietary strategies. In-depth diagnostic info and problems that need to be ruled out for an IBS diagnosis are here: http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp

If you have these food intolerances ruled out and you do have IBS, then I don't think the FODMAP approach is always the easiest, fastest, or best way to start. It can be really unnecessarily restrictive because it lumps together gluten, fructose, and lactose intolerances with IBS, and they are not at all the same things.

Also, it does not even address the well-established dietary triggers for IBS such as fats and other GI stimlulants/irritants (red meat, dairy, fried foods, soda pop, coffee, caffeine, etc.), nor does it address the critical need for IBS to distinguish between soluble and insoluble fiber. The original author of the FODMAP approach in Australia, Sue Shepherd, touched on these issues in her actual scientific research papers, but somehow that info got dropped as her research was disseminated down the line to America, and from medical papers to more patient-oriented publications. Years later, I don't know why they still haven't corrected this huge oversight.

So, first things first, make sure that you've had the tests for those food intolerances so you know what you're truly dealing with. Then, focus on your soluble fiber safe foods, eliminate the IBS trigger foods, and be cautious with insoluble fiber foods. There is an IBS diet cheat sheet you can print out that will give you quick and easy food lists for these concerns here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathersibsdietcheatsheet.pdf .

With IBS, it is also a matter of HOW you eat, not just WHAT you eat. There is info about that on the cheat sheet as well, and more info here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/how_to_eat.asp.

Get your foundation diet of Eating for IBS established and see how you do with that. You might not need to take things any further. If you do, then once you're at that point you can add in the FODMAPS restrictions and see if that gets you additional help, especially for bloating and gas.

If you take that step, please note that the FODMAPS approach is one that is specifically recommended to be done only under the direct supervision of a dietitian. This is because it is not a blanket exclusion diet. You are supposed to carefully figure out which FODMAPS groups you are sensitive to, if any (fructose, galactans, oligosaccharides, etc.)

What you don't want to do is just eliminate, forever, all of the high FODMAPS foods across the board. You might well have a problem with none of them, or just some of them, and to varying degrees. It is a very individualized diet. It can also be complicated, which is why it's supposed to be done with a dietitian. The concern is that someone would just eliminate all these groups of foods, probably unnecessarily, and end up with a very nutrient-poor diet as a result.

If you do work with someone on the FODMAPS approach, make sure they also address the standard high fat trigger foods and GI irritants, for IBS and the importance of soluble fiber safe foods. Excluding high FODMAPS foods without adjusting your diet for the other IBS elements is much less likely to give good overall results.

Please let me know how things go.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

The FODMAP approach does not lump gluten in with fructose and lactose ... new
      #372504 - 10/03/15 05:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The GI group at Monash University who developed the low FODMAP diet states in their FAQ that gluten is not a FODMAP nor is it an IBS trigger. See the answer to question #5 for clarification.

5. What is the difference between 'gluten-free' and 'wheat-free' foods? Do I have to restrict gluten?

Monash FODMAP diet FAQ

"When following the low FODMAP diet, fructans [eg. wheat, rye & barley] and other FODMAPs, but not gluten, are restricted."

Also, the Monash group showed that if individuals who think they are gluten sensitive are put on a low FODMAP diet for a while and then given pure gluten that there was no worsening of symptoms. This article on a Celiac information web site give a good overview of this research

Gluten May Not Be Culprit in Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#372506 - 10/03/15 05:58 PM
Cassie123

Thank you!!!

#372507 - 10/03/15 06:04 PM
Cassie123

Thank you for the information. I have been tested for so much and want to know as much as possible when I return to the doctor at the end of the month. This is so frustrating and I am beyond tired. I have been sick for over 10 years. We finally found a small intestinal bacterial over growth, but even with that under control I remain sick. Thanks again!

I agree with you, and have current research on this site, but new
      #372513 - 10/05/15 11:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

that's not the info that is still being widely distributed to patients, including by many FODMAPS dietitians and even GI docs giving out FODMAPS info.

What patients should be told, and what they are actually being told, is two different things. I have to deal with reality and what patients are truly dealing with, not how hypothetically they should be treated because of what research currently shows. That's not the real world for most patients, unfortunately.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 641 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review